Problems with Renogy charge controller and AGM battery charging.

Options
2»

Comments

• foolios
    foolios Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Problems with Renogy charge controller and AGM battery charging.

ok, that's gonna be my next project. gonna google battery boxes and see what comes up
  • foolios
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    On your way to pick up the batteries, make sure to buy a digital voltmeter, an hydrometer, a pencil and a logbook, and a jug of distilled water so you can properly commission your new battery bank. Do you have any questions about how to commission a new battery bank?

--vtMaps

Almost forgot! What is commissioning?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    foolios wrote: »
    Almost forgot! What is commissioning?

Initial charging. It should be done before the batteries are put into use to make sure all cells are up and equal.
  • foolios
    Options

OK fully charge the batteries before putting a load on them. Got it.

O ya, I'll get that hydrometer when I purchase the batteries.

Sold one of my agm's already. Woot, recovered some monies.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a quick comment. Some areas have stringent codes regarding flooded batteries in a garage requiring specific air charge rates for the battery enclosure. I'm in the Austin, TX area and they are really getting tough on this issue. May not be an issue at all in your area.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marc Kurth wrote: »
    Just a quick comment. Some areas have stringent codes regarding flooded batteries in a garage requiring specific air charge rates for the battery enclosure. I'm in the Austin, TX area and they are really getting tough on this issue. May not be an issue at all in your area.

Wow, that would be hard to enforce! I have several friends who have multiple trolling motor batteries on chargers in their garage, doubt 2 deep cycle batteries could be much worse.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • foolios
    Options

Wow, how do you find an expert that will come to your home to ensure that you meet that code? I mean a knowledgeable installer/expert on the matter. And then for a town to have an inspector that would know that as well.
    I would imagine it's going to be rare. It seems an impossible task to enforce but also have provisioning to comply in all areas. There's so much other stuff they have on the books to worry about.
    I think there must be a large group of guys in Austin that are wise to a lot of really cool practices that I would just love to hear about. =)
    I mean you guys must really be thinking outside the box on a whole lot of stuff.
    Is there a house for sale near your neighborhood. hehe I want in.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I only mentioned it because I've seen inspectors show up when PV modules became visible from the street. I was referring to a "battery installation" in a residential garage not just some batteries on a charger. I don't live in Austin, but I deal with a lot of PV installers who work in that city. Inspectors love to try and catch projects that were installed without a permit, but not all projects need permits.

I have been involved with multiple projects in Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma where we had to provide calculations showing the max gassing rate of our batteries and air change rates for ventilation of a residential garages. These were contractor installed projects with permits pulled. Battery ventilation rates are specified in the code book already, but they are generally based on flooded batteries, so you sometimes have to prove your point when using AGM's.

Sorry if my comment was misleading.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • foolios
    Options

Good info. Thanks for adding to the discussion.