Small Generator question, Subaru

Options
islandguy
islandguy Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
Looking to purchase a Subaru RG3200IS.

In this application it will provide around 500 watts of power to operate an Iota DLS-55 and a smaller 10 amp smart charger. I've tracked the load and the initial draw is around 500 watts and then it drops to around 300 watts.

In the past I ran a Honda eu2000i and then sold it off after around 4k hours.

that was replaced by a Hyundai hy2000si.

Now I am going to the Subaru because of:
5 year warranty
1/4 rated load is around 700 watts, or able to power the charge cycle all in 'economy mode' so I am looking at better gas consumption.

Anyone else have experience with the Subarus?

thanks!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Small Generator question, Subaru

maybe check the Amazon user comments for it ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The original Subaru with Robin diesel prime mover is legendary in its reliability. If you can find a used one in reasonably good condition and/or have the skills to recondition it, it will last almost forever. The current model with the Hatz diesel is infamous for frequent problems and prohibitively expensive repair parts shipped from Germany by slow boat.

The model you specify uses a gasoline engine and it appears to be close to prime mover quality.
    The CA emission warranty is for 500 operating hours, the highest under the standard, and the maintenance calls for an engine rebuild after 1000 hours if needed.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    islandguy wrote: »
    ... 5 year warranty....

What I saw was a 2 year warranty, where do you see 5yr ?
    ( electricgeneratorsdirect.com )
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inetdog
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    What I saw was a 2 year warranty, where do you see 5yr ?
    ( electricgeneratorsdirect.com )
    I believe that there is a 5 year warranty on the engine. Not so sure about the entire generator.
    When you drill down the specification tree on the Subaru website you are sometimes taken directly to the engine spec pages without warning.
  • islandguy
    Options

right on the home page there is this statement:
    " All Subaru portable generators are EPA and CARB compliant and are backed by a 5-year limited warranty regardless of application."
    I called subaru to verify and the lady I talked to said yes. I mentioned that the generator would be running for around 12 hours a day 365 a year. She said fine.

I'll see if I can find any specifics on the exact wording of the warranty.

I called to verify because our local small engine shop is listed as a dealer & repair shop. the owner is less than thrilled by the five year warranty claim since he knows the kind of use I am planning.

Edit to add:
    Press Release Link http://www.subarupower.com/pressroom.aspx?id=41

Edit again to fix link
    Specifics here:
    http://www.subarupower.com/media/files/warrantystatementforengines,generators,andpumps128601732848296250.pdf
  • inetdog
    Options

The EPA and CARB compliance is AFAIK limited to 500 operating hours without needing a rebuild, since that is the longest period that the law allows/requires.
    If Subaru chooses to warranty any repairs needed to maintain compliance beyond that 500 hour limit, I guess that is their privilege, but I do not think that they are allowed to claim over 500 hour compliance in their advertising.
    Also, the warranty coverage does not apply to normal scheduled maintenance items. As I recall, an engine rebuild is "scheduled maintenance" at either 500 or 1000 hours "if needed", so I do not think that a rebuild would be covered by the warranty if, for example, you run 3 hours a day for a year.
    If the engine blows up before the scheduled rebuild, or after a successful rebuild and before the next scheduled one, then you might have a warranty claim.

I tend to agree with the dealer's feelings on the issue.
  • islandguy
    Options

thanks inetdog.
    I'll be ordering the Gen this week. After talking with Subaru and the Local small engine shop again I am optimistic.

At this location we put on about 4k hours a year. If anyone is interested I'll post updates.

I'll check with the service center to see what 'in shop work' they recommend to maintain the warranty status.

My decision was based on warranty claims, local service center, fuel consumption and price. We'll see how it works out.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

You said you'll use 300-500 watts depending on the charge cycle, but the genset is at 25% of its rating at 700 watts. Diesels need to mostly run with at least a 40% load to prevent multiple problems, but you'll be running yours much less.

With roughly a 4800 watt load each day (400 * 12) and 12 hour run time (lots of fuel), this sounds like the perfect situation for a PV installation.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is