Mini Split update for Offgrid

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Dave
    I'm located in Prince Edward County Ontario.  If you look at a map showing Lake Ontario...PEC is the blob sticking down from the north shore on it's eastern half.  When conditions are just right you can see New York State from our southernmost shores.  Skies clear, no big waves,  and be over 6 feet tall.

I'm just in the process of ground mounting the condenser unit for my Mitsubishi mini-split.  It's presently hung from the basement block wall.  When it's working hard (heating in -10C  or lower) the vibration makes for waking up noise levels transmitted throughout the house.  Not noticable during waking hours, but not good for sleeping.  The rubber washers were as hard as wood after 9 years.  A little steel,  some welding, a little rock and a compactor and I'm ready to roll...in a bit.  The ground is still frozen under the condenser unit.

I always look forward to your posts.  Sounds like you're the guy to go to on-line or in the Sierras.

Ralph

10kw microFit feed in, grid tied but not net-tied, one meter for revenue and another for house service.  Local utilty said 10kw per connection point when going back to the grid in 2010.  Paid 80.2 cents per kwhr...no brainer!
  • lucman2
    lucman2 Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    A few folks I know told me about problems they had with snow, and blowing snow. It is really important to keep the area in front of the outdoor unit clear of snow. One can also cover the outdoor with a box to keep it from blowing inside.

It is not a problem to get snow inside as it is designed for outdoor ratings all over the world. The problem is if the sun comes out and you turn the unit on and the fan has frozen to the frame. Most units will not even try and start and will send a warning, but some do!
     Not Good !!!

This can be avoided by using a thin stick to verify the fan can turn through its rotation. Picture below of the best tool to have ;)

I do about 5-8 installs per year and use these on everyone. https://www.diversitech.com/en-US/product/item/603.
    Gets the units above the highest expected snow level. I like the larger size for all units, gives me easier access to the condenser coil for cleaning.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good advice lucman2 ! Thx !   We rarely get more than 8 inches of snow at a time in the southern sierra. Up north of us it is very different. I like your idea also of getting it higher as the standard line-set will give you more options for where to mount the indoor unit.
    Many of us offgrid are so remote, there is not have access to a pro. I help my clients do the install. A standard line set makes it easier as the refrigerant amount does not have to be adjusted. 

Now I remember where Ralph. The ground mount is extremely quiet. When we installed the Sanyo in 2007, my wife said the outdoor unit was not working when we first powered up. She was 10 feet away. I could feel the cool air coming out on the indoor. They are that quiet! Our old window unit was so loud a Bear or Firetruck could be in the yard and we would not know it.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Miller_Ranch
    Miller_Ranch Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to DIY a 12000 btu 220 volt mini split. Probably will go with either Pioneer or Senville. They seem to be good quality and DIY friendly. I have no problem doing the tube flaring and electrical hook up.

My question is I see that Pioneer sells an evac line flushing kit.

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/collections/accesories/products/kwik-e-vac-line-set-flushing-kit-for-mini-split-air-conditioning-systems

For $35.00 it would save me from buying a set of gauges and vacuum pump that I would only use once.

Anyone have experience with this, I think it looks like it would work. There is a video too.

• Dave Angelini
    edited July 2023 #216
    Options
    Almost anything will work from using the internal R410 to evac to even just hooking up lines and leaving it as is. Very politically incorrect BTW.

It is the degree you want it to work well and if you care about warranty.  A correct charge will get the lowest power consumption for Offgrid.

New refrigerants are coming out that "won't hurt the Ozone" a problem that may or may not really exist.  I just finished a course on R454.

Good Luck !

• Miller_Ranch
    Miller_Ranch Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Dave. For all I know I will just get what is delivered to me at the time. The units I am looking at are pre charged from the factory.
    I am looking at a way to bring the unit into service. Either Gages and vacuum pump or the Pioneer evac system they sell. I'm sure I can handle either way.
    Are you implying that these methods will not work after the2023 changes?

Should I be buying a DIY system soon?
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Miller_Ranch. I’m by no means an expert. 

We live far off pavement, needed AC so did it DIY.

The advice that I got was to do both the vacuum test and the nitrogen pressure test. The HVAC pros that I consulted with told me that it would be a royal pain if a leak was discovered after the splits were commissioned. 

We used Mitsubishi high SEER units (also pre charged for the line sets). 

The installs went without a hitch. Both units are running great. 

We decided that as long as we were saving so much by doing them DIY that we would “do it right” on the installs, even with buying all gear that we needed. 

Good luck!
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Hey Wheelman,    Drop me a line when you get some time.  Hope your sister worked through her medicals last year!
    Would like to see some pictures of how it is going.  Three weeks until Boz Skaggs comes to the Tahoe region.😀