- - - Need advice in replacing SMA 2100U inverter

Options
BillC
BillC Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all,

My 2100U inverter failed, a few months after the 5 year warranty expired.

I 'get' that it's not worthwhile putting $$ into trying to repair an inverter of this vintage, so I'm looking to replace it.

What are the leading contenders that I should be looking at?

Many thanks,

/BillC
Portland, OR

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,466 admin
    Options
    Re: - - - Need advice in replacing SMA 2100U inverter

Are you thinking of adding more solar panels at this time? ~2,600 Watt array is not that large these days.

Also, what is the array configuration (panel brand/model, series/parallel configuration)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you will find most give 10 years these days, Fronius, PVPowered ....
  • BillC
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Are you thinking of adding more solar panels at this time? ~2,600 Watt array is not that large these days.

Also, what is the array configuration (panel brand/model, series/parallel configuration)?

-Bill

And my array isn't even that large. It's 9 Sharp NE170U1 panels in series-connected arrangement. (Small s-facing roof...)

/Bill
  • BB.
    Options

SMA should still be one of the best/most reliable GT inverters for the US market. And they seem to offer the smallest central GT inverters too.

It is not good that it only lasted 5+ years. The present ones have a 10 year warranty (I am a bit surprised that yours did not have a 10 year warranty too--California has required a 10 year warranty for their subsidized installs for almost 10 years now--last I remember). Have you tried calling SMA support to see if they would help?

There are other GT inverters that are 3+ kWatt but cost less money than the SMAs. They will have somewhat higher losses (larger inverters have higher "tare" or fixed/operational losses)--But probably not a huge issue.

Anything happened that damaged the original inverter (lightning/surges)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BillC
    Options

I'm not aware of any incident that fried the unit - one day the Fault light appeared, and nothing I tried has been able to clear it.

The paperwork is pretty explicit about the 5 year warranty term, but I'll call SMA to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks,

/BillC
    Portland, OR
  • BB.
    Options

Here is a post with several people that repair SMA inverters:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5556-Working-Thread-for-Solar-Beginner-Post-FAQ&p=159835#post159835

You can ask them if it may worth repairing yours or not... (I know nothing else about the folks on the list--Do your own research).

-Bill
  • BillC
    Options

Thanks Bill,

/Bill