I Would Like Input From You Guys On A Inverter For Me

2»

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: I Would Like Input From You Guys On A Inverter For Me
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    People like to bash Xantrex, and some of it is earned on their part, but the Conext SW is a all new Schneider design that works well in a single setup, the bugs seem to be with stacking etc. I love outback's fx series too .. bulletproof
    Is that because Schneider put their name on it ?? Take a look at a Xantrex SW 3000 that came out 2005 the year before they bought Xantrex. The biggest problem now is they don't want to pay for any field service, they want it sent into their service centers for repair, so the only people who want to sell them now is the on-line sellers because they don't have to deal with them.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Is that because Schneider put their name on it ?? Take a look at a Xantrex SW 3000 that came out 2005 the year before they bought Xantrex. The biggest problem now is they don't want to pay for any field service, they want it sent into their service centers for repair, so the only people who want to sell them now is the on-line sellers because they don't have to deal with them.

The appearances of the two are similar but they are different inverters. I have it on reliable information that the Conext SW and the XW+ are post Xantrex designs. They have a not-so good reputation here for support vs, Outback. They ask millions of questions for a simple RMA. Outback ships out the part right away. This is very important when you live outside of the USA!
  • Blackcherry04
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    The appearances of the two are similar but they are different inverters. I have it on reliable information that the Conext SW and the XW+ are post Xantrex designs. They have a not-so good reputation here for support vs, Outback. They ask millions of questions for a simple RMA. Outback ships out the part right away. This is very important when you live outside of the USA!
    Then you should look at the menuing system if you don't think they are the same, they even use a copy and paste in places in the manuals with identical verbage that doesn't apply the inverter the manual is for. Take a look at the newest Xanterx SW3012, same case just has the control panel on the front and 120 v output.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you, the cases are different as are port locations and hence board layout. From what I see of the SW3012, compared to what is one my wall, there are different inverters. I am sure they share some parts internally, as Schneider owns the Xantrex business as well. There are some differences in the menus, especially with respect to stacking.

IMHO, all that matters is it a good inverter that meets his needs at a good price? is there an Outback thats better for less? The best hardware/$ + support wins!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that side excursion out of the way are there any other possibilities that you guys can think of? how about some of the sma inverters? i know they have higher prices, but i'd like input on them none the less as well. gotta weigh all options.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Im sorry folks but i just dont get it. A 24V inverter that draws 48W tare, is exactly as useful as a bucket with a hole it it.

Think about it. 24v inverters are only found on systems less than 2kWp or thereabouts. Such a system produces in the ballpark of 2-6kWh/day. The tare is using 48W*24h/day= 1150Wh/day. Thus the SW is burning about a quarter to a third of the entire systems production.

Someone please explain to us, how that can ever, ever be a viable setup? Theres only one way to run a thing like that, and that is to turn it off when you arent using it. Or leave it in the box...
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Im sorry folks but i just dont get it. A 24V inverter that draws 48W tare, is exactly as useful as a bucket with a hole it it.

Think about it. 24v inverters are only found on systems less than 2kWp or thereabouts. Such a system produces in the ballpark of 2-6kWh/day. The tare is using 48W*24h/day= 1150Wh/day. Thus the SW is burning about a quarter to a third of the entire systems production.

Someone please explain to us, how that can ever, ever be a viable setup? Theres only one way to run a thing like that, and that is to turn it off when you arent using it. Or leave it in the box...

Beats me. The Outback FX only draws 20 Watts.
    And we've already had complaints about problems with the "new" Conext SW inverts.

As for what NAWS thinks about my opinions on Xantrex/Schneider/Conext ... I don't work for them and I don't sell any brand. Like an umpire, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. And my opinions change as information available changes. I do not see much reason to like the newer Brand X designs, even though I have recommended them in cases where they were the best solution available under the circumstances. Fortunately that is not often as most people wouldn't put up with the way they work. Or don't work.
  • Blackcherry04

It's hardly fair to compare a plain Inverter with a Inverter / Charger and a lot of onboard control functions and transfer relays. Everything you add puts more watts on the overhead. Try a shunt based monitor and you'll see the watts go up. On a Outback the Mate, FNdc and Hub will add more than you think.

To get split phase out of a SW probably doubles everything, including the overhead, then again everyone doesn't need split phase.
  • Cariboocoot
    It's hardly fair to compare a plain Inverter with a Inverter / Charger and a lot of onboard control functions and transfer relays. Everything you add puts more watts on the overhead. Try a shunt based monitor and you'll see the watts go up. On a Outback the Mate, FNdc and Hub will add more than you think.

To get split phase out of a SW probably doubles everything, including the overhead, then again everyone doesn't need split phase.

True to a certain extent: the 8kW Outback Radian has split 240 output and consumes 30 Watts on its own.
    Still better than Brand X.
  • Blackcherry04
    True to a certain extent: the 8kW Outback Radian has split 240 output and consumes 30 Watts on its own.
    Still better than Brand X.
    You got to follow the roots of Xantrex back to Heart Interface and Trace not Inverter technology originally designed for the RE / Solar industry. Mostly Inverters designed for the mobile market where tare loses didn't matter that much. Will Schneider follow the same route ? They bought it.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

ok now that you mention it what will the mate and hub add to it?
  • Cariboocoot
    niel wrote: »

You only need the MATE: it allows you to set the parameters of the inverter. And there are a lot of parameters you can set.

The HUB is for connecting multiple Outback devices to one MATE to co-ordinate them.
  • Blackcherry04
    niel wrote: »
    You won't need the hub with just the Mate and it can be unplugged or shut down when not in use, the settings are stored in the Inverter. To answer your question, I don't know, that would be a question for tech support.