❀ Vacation: Leave batteries hooked up or no???

Options
2»

Comments

• ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: ❀ Vacation: Leave batteries hooked up or no???
    cupcake wrote: »
    won't leaving mine completely unhooked be ok too??

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing so. My batteries are in parallel. If I were to be away, or not have anyone at the farm for a given length of time, I would merely disconnect them from each other and from the system, completely shutting it down. (I mean, if no one is there, it isn't going to hurt anything for it to be completely off line for a couple of weeks, up to a month.) And, like you said, chances are the batteries sat on the shelf at AutoZone for a given length of time, prior to you ever buying them.
    Paul
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am certain I did not invent parallel battery systems and am.not breaking any records here...

Nope, the most I recall reading about was 14 IIRC, others with less do have to monitor closely!

It can be done but with a large downside.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ....or I can just use FUSES which are designed to prevent the.highly improbable doomsday scenario you mentioned...

Yes, if you have fuses on all 5 strings thats exactly what protects you from that scenerio. They do need to be either at least 500mm from the bank, or otherwise ignition protected. Being prepared is the key.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ILFE wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing so. My batteries are in parallel. If I were to be away, or not have anyone at the farm for a given length of time, I would merely disconnect them from each other and from the system, completely shutting it down. (I mean, if no one is there, it isn't going to hurt anything for it to be completely off line for a couple of weeks, up to a month.) And, like you said, chances are the batteries sat on the shelf at AutoZone for a given length of time, prior to you ever buying them.

Thanks for your input...

I'm gonna do what you suggest... just unhook EVERYTHING... when I would get the batteries at autozone, id go up to the shelf, dust them off and stick a volt meter to one of them or all of them... all read in the 12.5-12.8 range.... and they had dust on them and stickers for months earlier....

Imma just use logic and not overthink it... these batteries sit on big-box store shelves for months without being charged or maintained, someone buys them and they all work satisfactorily... will they be low when I get back... yeah... will it take a bit of life out of the bank...maybe... enough to really matter in life? prolly not....

thanks for your suggestion...

on a SIMILAR note: to unplug the panels on the roof, is just umplugging the MC4 connectors good enough? Tape up the ends with some electrical, ...??

thanks!

--cake in cups
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• cupcake
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Yes, if you have fuses on all 5 strings thats exactly what protects you from that scenerio. They do need to be either at least 500mm from the bank, or otherwise ignition protected. Being prepared is the key.

This is what I got on all 5 positive terminals...

expensive...

but...

Attachment not found.
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    on a SIMILAR note: to unplug the panels on the roof, is just umplugging the MC4 connectors good enough? Tape up the ends with some electrical, ...??

Why would you want to disconnect your panels? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Why would you want to disconnect your panels? --vtMaps

Well if you're going to disconnect the charge controller because you aren't going to modify the settings via computer link (which is how you override the presets on a Morningstar) you must disconnect the panels. And first.

On the other hand leaving the charge system hooked up as-is for a month won't hurt anything either. The only time you need to reconfigure is if you're leaving for several months during hot weather. Cold weather won't matter so much as it slows down the battery function anyway. Hot weather + standard time regime could add up to boiled batteries. One of the disadvantages of MS (and some other) controllers is the fixed Absorb time regime. Outback & MidNite's counting clock (plus End Amps) is beneficial in such a situation.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    to unplug the panels on the roof, is just unplugging the MC4 connectors good enough? Tape up the ends with some electrical, ...??
    Why would you want to disconnect your panels?
    Well if you're going to disconnect the charge controller <snip> you must disconnect the panels. And first.

Of course you must disconnect the panels first... but unplug the MC4 connectors!?!?! There should be a breaker or switch to disconnect the panels.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Of course you must disconnect the panels first... but unplug the MC4 connectors!?!?! There should be a breaker or switch to disconnect the panels.

--vtMaps

Nah. Not really necessary from a functional POV as one would rarely disconnect the array. Some jurisdictions require such a disconnect though.
  • cupcake
    Options

--vtMaps

I just unplug the MP4 connectors on the roof....

end of story...

A switch is not as good as clearly severing a connection by unhooking/unplugging. Kinda like when you unplug a lamp from a wall receptacle... it makes you feel more 'certain' than simply turning off the lamp's switch...
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• vtmaps
    Options
    I just unplug the MP4 connectors on the roof....

MC4 connectors are not designed to be repeatedly connected and disconnected. They will deteriorate and lose their weatherproof characteristics. Further, their contact surfaces will become pitted if you make and break the connections while any current is flowing.
    A switch is not as good as clearly severing a connection by unhooking/unplugging. Kinda like when you unplug a lamp from a wall receptacle... it makes you feel more 'certain' than simply turning off the lamp's switch...

and if you don't trust the ignition switch on your car, perhaps you should disconnect the starter motor whenever you stop the engine to make sure it doesn't start by itself.

--vtMaps
  • cupcake
    Options
    MC4 connectors are not designed to be repeatedly connected and disconnected. They will deteriorate and lose their weatherproof characteristics. Further, their contact surfaces will become pitted if you make and break the connections while any current is flowing.

and if you don't trust the ignition switch on your car, perhaps you should disconnect the starter motor whenever you stop the engine to make sure it doesn't start by itself.

--vtMaps

The MC4 connector is a PLUG, not a '62 Ferrari, disconnecting it to go away for a month is just fine.. it wont self-distruct or fly into the world trade centers if you unplug it a few times and plug it back in..

And I DO disconnect the starter from cars that are sitting while I go on vacation so they dont start on their own (if you know what I mean)... again, the logic is simple: when you arent around to babysit stuff, cut off the power supply right at its source...

--cake
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

But the MC4 is a high pressure contact with flash (gold?) plating. They are not designed to be taken apart very often, and certainly not to be disassembled when under load.

http://www.multi-contact.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/PV_Solar_(de-en)_hi.pdf
    Plugging cycles
    The maximum life of the PV connectors is 100 plugging cycles.

Unplugging under load
    PV plug connections must not be unplugged while under load.
    Plugging and unplugging while under tension is permitted.

Protection against weather
    Sealing caps must be used to protect unplugged PV-connectors
    from moisture and dirt.

Positioning of the junction box
    The junction box must be fixed on the PV module in such a
    position that the cable outlets of the junction box point downwards
    when in use.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    And I DO disconnect the starter from cars that are sitting while I go on vacation so they dont start on their own (if you know what I mean)... again, the logic is simple: when you arent around to babysit stuff, cut off the power supply right at its source...

--cake

There's a word for this: paranoia.
    No, I'm not kidding.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I'm not kidding.

What!?!?!? Just because I unscrew all the light bulbs in rooms I'm not using at the moment? That's kind of harsh don't you think?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    What!?!?!? Just because I unscrew all the light bulbs in rooms I'm not using at the moment? That's kind of harsh don't you think?

Not using the rooms or not using the light bulbs? :D
    (Skip joke about the man who unscrewed the bulb and took it with him to light the next room he went to because he wasn't going to buy another until the first one wore out.)

Funny how I've manage to live so long trusting in untrustworthy things like switches. :p
  • cupcake
    Options
    No, I'm not kidding.

'paranoid' in Canada

common sense in USA... the city I grew up in logs 400+ murders PER YEAR...every year... since the 1980's til 2014... 400 dead bodies...or more... EVERY SINGLE YEAR....

this gives you an idea about car theft.... so its just common sense to unplug all your stuff here when you're gone... USA has a bit of a crime problem here... they steal the sweetness out of a cookie down here....

--cake cups
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    'paranoid' in Canada

common sense in USA... the city I grew up in logs 400+ murders PER YEAR...every year... since the 1980's til 2014... 400 dead bodies...or more... EVERY SINGLE YEAR....

this gives you an idea about car theft.... so its just common sense to unplug all your stuff here when you're gone... USA has a bit of a crime problem here... they steal the sweetness out of a cookie down here....

--cake cups

Because if you unplugged your panels people won't steal them?

You're rather confused about cause and effect. Disconnecting MC4's to shut off panels because you don't trust switches? The MC4's are not meant to be used in this manner, the switches are.

Maybe you should stop working so hard and start learning something.