❀ Vacation: Leave batteries hooked up or no???

Options
cupcake
cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
Hi pals,

OK - if I wanted to leave for say 1 month - is it proper to leave the off-grid system hooked up to the controller and batteries while I'm away for 1 month?

In other words, unplug the inverter, and just have the panels feeding the batteries via the charge controller...

Is this proper?

OR should I just unhook everything and let 5 12volt parallel-wired batteries sit for 1 month?

Thanks as always everyone...

-- cake in a cup
~1.5Kw PV in parallel
Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: ❀ Vacation: Leave batteries hooked up or no???

Disconnect all loads.

If you trust your charging setup--Leave it connected. Make sure that the battery bank will spend most of its time in float. The battery bank will not need much in the way of charging current (1-2% typical maximum current of 20 Hour battery bank capacity).

If you are gone less than 1 month, and the batteries are in good shape and not too hot (say less than 25C/77F), then you are OK with turning everything off (disconnecting charge controller from battery bank). A flooded cell lead acid battery in good shape should be fine with up to 1 month between charging cycles.

If the charging system does over charge the battery (and boil it dry)--That could be a fire hazard (and kill the bank).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you charge the batteries fully before you leave and make sure that there are no residual loads, you should be able to leave them disconnected for a month without damage.
    But if you trust your panels and charge controller, it will be better to leave them connected to the CC, although you may want to open the switch or wiring to your inverter just in case. Remember that some inverters have a high parasitic draw even when there is no load on their output.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • cupcake
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Disconnect all loads.

If you trust your charging setup--Leave it connected. Make sure that the battery bank will spend most of its time in float. The battery bank will not need much in the way of charging current (1-2% typical maximum current of 20 Hour battery bank capacity).

If you are gone less than 1 month, and the batteries are in good shape and not too hot (say less than 25C/77F), then you are OK with turning everything off (disconnecting charge controller from battery bank). A flooded cell lead acid battery in good shape should be fine with up to 1 month between charging cycles.

If the charging system does over charge the battery (and boil it dry)--That could be a fire hazard (and kill the bank).

-Bill

I should mention that I am in the desert.... inside temps will reach 105 degrees or higher potenitally...

knowing this, would you unhook the batteries or not?

No loads will be left on (inverter, etc) -- just the charging system (controler) IF that is what is recommended....
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• cupcake
    Options
    cupcake wrote: »
    I should mention that I am in the desert.... inside temps will reach 105 degrees or higher potenitally...

knowing this, would you unhook the batteries or not?

No loads will be left on (inverter, etc) -- just the charging system (controler) IF that is what is recommended....

How might I objectify 'trusting' my charging system? ...

under normal use (using loads day in and day out..) it charges just fine... bulk, absorb, float, repeat...

but I've never just left it hooked up without draning/using the batteries (loads applied)

and its the desert so its full sun constantly if that matters...and heat near the battery banks will get up in the 100's
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

In general, as temperature rises, self discharge increases too... Does it follow the rule of 2x for every 10C--I don't remember--But if it does, then a battery averaging ~95F (10C + 25C standard temperature) would suggest a 2x faster self discharge rate or only ~2 week between charging cycles (and a battery that will only last ~1/2 as long as a battery kept at 77F/25C).

So--I would leave the charger+panels connected. And I would think about dropping the absorb voltage set points a bit and reduce the absorb timer (if used in this controller)... You do not want the battery to be excessively charged when you go.

How is your water usage? If you only add water roughly every 2 months--Then the charging voltage/time is probably just fine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cupcake
    Options
    In general, as temperature rises, self discharge increases too... Does it follow the rule of 2x for every 10C--I don't remember--But if it does, then a battery averaging ~95F (10C + 25C standard temperature) would suggest a 2x faster self discharge rate or only ~2 week between charging cycles (and a battery that will only last ~1/2 as long as a battery kept at 77F/25C).

So--I would leave the charger+panels connected. And I would think about dropping the absorb voltage set points a bit and reduce the absorb timer (if used in this controller)... You do not want the battery to be excessively charged when you go.

How is your water usage? If you only add water roughly every 2 months--Then the charging voltage/time is probably just fine.

-Bill

Thanks bill...

The batteries are sealed...
    The controller is the mornigstar mppt60...set for sealed type batteries..

So just leave it hooked up?

Thanxx

--cake
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

And now from someone who actually has batteries and actually leaves them unattended for six months at a time ...

If you have an Outback or Midnite controller with RTS simply check the charge and electrolyte level before you go, turn off all the DC loads, and be happy.

If you have another brand of controller (one which does not limit Absorb time by Bulk time) and/or do not have an RTS you'll want to change the settings to reduce Absorb time and Float Voltage. The Morningstar is one of these controllers.

Your batteries are sealed so you can't check the electrolyte level. All you can do is turn the Voltages down (you're looking at constant Float level basically) and limit the Absorb time to minimum (the batteries will not be discharged so they don't really need charging). Since these are cheap batteries, you're taking a gamble anyway. ;)
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have AGMs then its a no brainer, depower the entire system, and sleep easy while your away.

I monitor my system closer than average, and hence fairly confident that ive seen the worst it can do. But ill still be throwing all three main breakers when we go away next month, that is for sure.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

Tip: doublecheck what the actual voltage is when using the "sealed" configuration. Most of the Morningstar stuff I've used sealed is really meant for GEL, which has about a 14.1v absorb.

This may not be appropriate for your flooded or agm batteries, so always compare the voltage to make sure that the canned "sealed" setting is actually the proper one to use for your batteries! ie, most flooded and sealed agm's like to see 14.4v, and some even higher.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And most of the MS gear, can be re-programmed pretty easily.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• cupcake
    Options

OK guys... I am still un-clear on the correct answer here...

Q: Would 5 fully charges 12v 'deep cycle' batteries last 1 month sitting 'on the shelf' unhooked?

I mean...don't these batteries sit for months at a time on store shelves?

What sayeth the forum?

Thankxxx as always,

--cup of cake
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• zoneblue
    Options

This was answered above. AGM remain charged for long periods. 6 months or so. Not so flooded which must be kept charged.

• BB.
    Options

It depends... More or less, a good set of flooded cell lead acid batteries can sit on a ~70-77 degree F shelf for around 1 month and have an assumed state of charge of ~75% at the end of the month.

As the batteries go below this level (approximately), they begin to sulfate faster and faster.

If they are are hotter by 18F (10C), then they can discharge around 2x faster, and should not sit for more than 2 weeks. If the battery is -18F cooler, then it could set for ~2 months.

Anyway--Why it is always suggested that you get "fresh batteries" that have >12.40 volts on the shelf.

AGM batteries, because they have much lower self discharge, can store uncharged longer.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

normally for an agm i'd say go ahead and unhook the batteries for a month, but i'm not sure of autozone's specs on them and how they may compare to brands we are more familiar with. they may lean more towards car starting batteries and even though they are agm types they may not fair as well in the self discharge area. this would be something you'd rather test for yourself without being away from it before it goes too low.

be on the safe side and charge them up fully and then drop the absorb charge voltage down to the float charge voltage. this keeps the batteries floating rather than overcharging. either way you try it all dc loads to the batteries need disconnected including your inverter just to be on the safe side.
  • cupcake
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    normally for an agm i'd say go ahead and unhook the batteries for a month, but i'm not sure of autozone's specs on them and how they may compare to brands we are more familiar with. they may lean more towards car starting batteries and even though they are agm types they may not fair as well in the self discharge area. this would be something you'd rather test for yourself without being away from it before it goes too low.

be on the safe side and charge them up fully and then drop the absorb charge voltage down to the float charge voltage. this keeps the batteries floating rather than overcharging. either way you try it all dc loads to the batteries need disconnected including your inverter just to be on the safe side.

I have 5 AUTOZONE 'deep-cycle' batteries hooked in parallell.........

they look like this:

Attachment not found.

Are these OK to sit for 1 month?

IF NOT:

HOW can I go about tweaking and adjusting the absorb rate on the Morningstar MPPT-60 charge controller?? I see no info on this in the manufactureers instructions....

Thanks guys!

--cakey
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• zoneblue
    Options

I thought you said they were AGM... Those do not look like AGMs.

Turn all loads off, set the controller to absorb=float voltage, or absorb time to 2mins (if you want to mess with it), and call it good.

• cupcake
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    I thought you said they were AGM... Those do not look like AGMs.

Turn all loads off, set the controller to absorb=float voltage, or absorb time to 2mins (if you want to mess with it), and call it good.

No.. I don't know where AGM came from... I never said that... 5 autozone sealed deep-cycle batteries..

anyway -- does ANYONE know how to set the absorb voltage on the Morningstar MPPT-60 controller? I've had no luck reading the instruction manual as I don't see any mention of how to do this...

THanks

--cakey
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

The manual switch method, on page 19 of the PDF file:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MS-ZMAN-TSMPPT-304560A_v05.11.pdf

Or--You can get a computer interface (possibly a remote display) and program exact values (and other settings).

-Bill
  • smatthew
    smatthew Registered Users Posts: 15
    Options

Where do you get "Sealed" from. The only Sealed batteries are AGM.

So your CC settings are wrong..... and have been for some time.

No.. I don't know where AGM came from... I never said that... 5 autozone sealed deep-cycle batteries..

anyway -- does ANYONE know how to set the absorb voltage on the Morningstar MPPT-60 controller? I've had no luck reading the instruction manual as I don't see any mention of how to do this...

THanks

--cakey
  • cupcake
    Options
    smatthew wrote: »
    Where do you get "Sealed" from. The only Sealed batteries are AGM.

So your CC settings are wrong..... and have been for some time.

OK - so what do you call an Autozone deep-cycle battery that cannot have water added to it... sealed? or something else?

Enlighten me...

--cake of cup
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• cupcake
    Options
    The manual switch method, on page 19 of the PDF file:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MS-ZMAN-TSMPPT-304560A_v05.11.pdf

Or--You can get a computer interface (possibly a remote display) and program exact values (and other settings).

-Bill

OK, so the whole idea is to keep everything at float voltage the whole time right? So basically set it at a steady 13.7 volts ...

do I have this correct?

thankx

--cup
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

Typically sealed deep cycle batteries are AGM--Although, they could be GEL too.

These are also known as VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) batteries (aka "sealed").

And there are are "maintenance free" automotive (and marine?) batteries.

These batteries are flooded cell and not sealed--And you do not need to add water to them in normal service (the caps may appear to be "sealed"--but the few I worked with, you can still pop the caps off and measure the specific gravity and even add water). However, due to additives to the lead plates, they use very little water under normal usage (they can still be over charged and need water added--ask me how I know:blush:).

If this is the right battery:

Duralast
    /Marine battery

Does not appear to be a sealed/AGM/GEL battery... Just "leak less" vent caps.
    Duralast Marine and RV Batteries are designed to get you and keep you on the water! Duralast Marine Batteries are manufactured with the Cold Cranking Amps, Reserve Capacity and vibration resistance to keep you operating in the demanding Marine and RV environments.
    • Patented grid manufacturing technology produces grids engineered to be more efficient for optimal performance
    • Best-in-Class vent caps are engineered to be safer and reduce leakage and corrosion
    • Solidium™ welds are designed to stop corrosion and prevent premature failure
    • Lifespan™ negative paste is formulated to improve performance and battery life

Sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly what battery you have with a "house brand". There are a few major battery mfg. and they will build to spec. for the stores.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options
    OK, so the whole idea is to keep everything at float voltage the whole time right? So basically set it at a steady 13.7 volts ...

do I have this correct?

If you have no (cycling) loads on the battery bank--Then that will "float" the batteries and not use very much water--All good things.

-Bill
  • cupcake
    Options
    Typically sealed deep cycle batteries are AGM--Although, they could be GEL too.

These are also known as VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) batteries (aka "sealed").

And there are are "maintenance free" automotive (and marine?) batteries.

These batteries are flooded cell and not sealed--And you do not need to add water to them in normal service (the caps may appear to be "sealed"--but the few I worked with, you can still pop the caps off and measure the specific gravity and even add water). However, due to additives to the lead plates, they use very little water under normal usage (they can still be over charged and need water added--ask me how I know:blush:).

If this is the right battery:

Duralast
    /Marine battery

Does not appear to be a sealed/AGM/GEL battery... Just "leak less" vent caps.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly what battery you have with a "house brand". There are a few major battery mfg. and they will build to spec. for the stores.

-Bill

So let me get this straight -- You are saying I have a FLOODED battery now?

SO I need to change the CC settings to flooded??

Is this correct?

--cake
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    You are saying I have a FLOODED battery now?

Yes. I think we can safely say that is a flooded battery.

These are AGM batteries at AutoZone.
    Paul
  • BB.
    Options

There are other AGM batteries too (gray box):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Specialty-and-Non-Automotive-Batteries/Marine-Battery/_/N-4ayy

It is also possible that this is the exact battery you have (looking at picture, lid color, description on side of battery):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-Marine-battery/_/N-25t6?itemIdentifier=644427_0_0_

In any case--The battery is pretty much the same flooded cell, and no detailed description. One battery is two pounds heavier than the other.

Float Voltage--Good enough for now--And on vacation, you could select sealed/AGM/GEL battery--It will charge at a lower voltage and use less water (14.2 to 14.4 volts or so).

When the place is occupied... You should get a glass hydrometer and measure/log the temperature corrected specific gravity. See how well they charge--If they seem low specific gravity "after charging"--Try raising charging voltage by 0.2 volts for a couple days. Probably max out at 14.8 volts and 4-6 hours maximum of absorb time.

It is difficult to tell as there are no details about the battery construction/charging requirements. You don't want to over charge them--Cause them to use too much water.

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should get a glass hydrometer and measure/log the temperature corrected specific gravity.

Very good advice... applicable to all flooded batteries.

Cupcake, you should also know that these batteries are NOT true deep cycle batteries... they are hybrids and will not have a long service life in a RE application.

Further, you should know that 5 batteries in parallel is unstable and will lead to premature failure of the entire bank.
    short discussion here: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?14674

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • zoneblue
    Options

Agree with vt. Your issue is actually not what to do with your bank while youre away, but that you need to much better understand your bank. This is really, really important. Its important because battery systems are dangerous. Its important because they can burn your house down if you dont understand them.

If you have 5 batterys in parallel, and cheap automotive grade batterys. What can happen? Well should one of them go faulty, a chunk of plate becomes exposed, of a piece falls to the bottom of the case, then it will short. This happens. It will short the other 4, whereupon they will proceed to dump several mega joules of store energy. That in turn may very likely send those cells into thermal runaway, where more heat means more amps until the battery litterally explodes.

Thats not something we want to see. Not on our watch.

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree with vt. Your issue is actually not what to do with your bank while youre away, but that you need to much better understand your bank. This is really, really important. Its important because battery systems are dangerous. Its important because they can burn your house down if you dont understand them.

If you have 5 batterys in parallel, and cheap automotive grade batterys. What can happen? Well should one of them go faulty, a chunk of plate becomes exposed, of a piece falls to the bottom of the case, then it will short. This happens. It will short the other 4, whereupon they will proceed to dump several mega joules of store energy. That in turn may very likely send those cells into thermal runaway, where more heat means more amps until the battery litterally explodes.

Sounds like a story for Snopes.com.
  • cupcake
    Options

....or I can just use FUSES which are designed to prevent the.highly improbable doomsday scenario you mentioned...

I am certain I did not invent parallel battery systems and am.not breaking any records here...

..back on topic...

If these batteries sit on autozone shelves for months... won't leaving mine completely unhooked be ok too??
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel