Morningstar TS-MPPT45/60 reliability question

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
Just looking for any input on the reliability of the Morningstar MPPT controllers.
Reason asking, I have had 2, the first one I destroyed with over-voltage surge from hydro, worked fine till them. Second one has been awesome, same with my cousins. Have been very impressed with them, cool running even under full load, and no fan to wear out etc.
Now, a friend wanted to purchase a TS-MPPT-45 and the retailer recommended against it, saying he had been running into reliability issues.
First I heard of it, so asking if anyone else has heard of or experienced problems with these controllers, or is this retailer just having a string of bad luck.
Thanks
Wayne

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar TS-MPPT45/60 reliability question

I had a warranty replacement on mine. Something actually smoked in it, and some SMT parts fell off, from a PCB just above the main cable connections. The MPPT function failed, I'd noticed it in my log files, and found the charge was taking a really long time, with no float.

But it was a easy swap, they sent a replacement unit, and a prepaid mail label. Runs a 3KW, 108VDC PV array into a 60V battery bank, max outputamps end up being about 35A generally. Heatsink seldom above 40C
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Had a warranty replacement on my MPPT 60 too. Something burnt out on the board for no apparent reason about 6 months after purchase.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys, that must have been the kind of thing he was seeing. Hope mine keeps going.
    BTW, he highly recommended the MidNight products and suggested in this case, The Kid over the Morningstar, even though the two panels would at times want to push the Kid beyond it's max, the Kid would safely limit it's output to 30 amps.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

My display failed after 1 week, replaced under warranty (TS-MPPT-60). Works otherwise.
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Still pretty new. Log shows 12,692 hours on. No problems so far.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.