used golf cart batteries off craigslist?

nubby
nubby Registered Users Posts: 5
has anyone had any luck with used golf cart batteries off craigslist? Someone in my area is selling eight 6v golf cart batteries for $150 and I was wondering if it was a good deal. Even if the batteries only have 50% life left, it would still be good right?

Any ideas on where to find good batteries on low budget? The reason for the low budget is because I didn't really plan on going solar. I found a local ad by some solar installation company selling damaged 250-350w panels for 20 bucks each. I grabbed 5 and they all seem to work but have cracked glass. I put spar varnish on the cracked glass and it seems to be holding up well.

I'm just looking for cheap batteries that will last a couple years, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I've spent so far.

5 solar panels = $100
150vdc 20a tracer mppt controller = $110

I'm thinking of budgeting $100-150 for batteries.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: used golf cart batteries off craigslist?

Check the scrap price in your area because that's what you'd be buying.
    Batteries tend not to be linear in their capacity, and there's no easy way to test them.

Warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's sometimes have GC2's for <$100 each. $150 total is not likely to fit the bill unless there's a battery dealer willing to sell used ones with a warranty.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scrap here in Mid Missouri is 29 cents a lb, GC batteries run around 60 lbs so they would have a value of $17.40 so The risk isn't huge if you want to play, just understand what your doing. A complete system will include mounting the panels (I gave away 12 cracked panels), and an inverter, unless you plan on only DC loads. and of course fuses or breakers and wiring, proper connectors unless you plan on clipping the ends off...

BTW- used batteries are prohibited on Craigslist, so take down their contact info before the post disappears!

BTW -2 Golf Cart batteries require a $26 core charge from the same battery store here!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    nubby wrote: »
    has anyone had any luck with used golf cart batteries off craigslist? Someone in my area is selling eight 6v golf cart batteries for $150 and I was wondering if it was a good deal. Even if the batteries only have 50% life left, it would still be good right?
    Unlikely. People tend not to sell well cared for, high capacity batteries. You will likely end up with a pile of mismatched batteries that won't hold much of a charge - but you might get lucky.
    Any ideas on where to find good batteries on low budget?
    Ditto on Costco. I've gotten GC2's for under $100 there.
    I'm thinking of budgeting $100-150 for batteries.
    Wait until Costco has them on sale and get two. That will give you a reasonable 12V pack. With a 20 amp charge controller you won't overcharge them.