FLA or sealed lead-acid for weekend & summer cottage?

samppa
samppa Registered Users Posts: 20
Hello!

Soo cottage is used for a few weeks during summer, then on weekends about April - October.
Usually I never go there during winter, that's about november-march.. might visit once.

Energy requirement is not much, some led lights, laptop + cell phone charging. I'd say at most 500wh/day.

So which battery would be better for these conditions? Basic deep cycle fla, or a sealed lead-acid? Or should I get an AGM?
winter conditions are cold and snowy, sometimes there's even some sun. Panel will be rigged so that it stays pretty much snow-free.
Also should the battery be connected to the panel over winter, or would you simply disconnect it?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: FLA or sealed lead-acid for weekend & summer cottage?

Been there, done that, never lost a battery to cold yet. :D

Don't invest a ton of money in a part-time system; batteries go bad whether or not they are used. Go with the FLA's and leave the panels & controller connected over Winter. They are cheaper than AGM's so if something does go wrong you aren't down as much money. AGM's are freeze-resistant, but not freeze-proof. FLA's kept charged will also be freeze-resistant.
  • samppa
    samppa Registered Users Posts: 20

Thanks! Seems I'll go with FLA. I just won't have much chance to top it for maybe 3-4 months, that's why I thought sealed might be better.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    samppa wrote: »
    Thanks! Seems I'll go with FLA. I just won't have much chance to top it for maybe 3-4 months, that's why I thought sealed might be better.

I leave mine for 6-7 months unattended. Charged and filled when I leave, solar remains connected. I have the advantage of cold temps slowing down the chemical reaction though. You may want to turn down the charge Voltage to a 'low float' level.

In fact I'm supposed to be going back out there this week to see how everything has fared over Winter. Jug of distilled water and generator are coming with me. :D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you keep a flooded battery fully charged, it won't freeze till -90F
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    samppa wrote: »
    Also should the battery be connected to the panel over winter, or would you simply disconnect it?

I'm pretty sure you meant that you have a solar charge-controller in between the panel and the battery, and not really a direct connection. Just wanted to make sure you don't destroy a brand new batt...

If you go AGM, and it is fully charged BEFORE you disconnect and store it, you can get by with quite a few months of very low self-discharge without the need to float. Not so for flooded, and you'd need to float it.