Question about bulk / boost / float charge of my charge controler and blue top battery

Options
2»

Comments

• louisbanens
    louisbanens Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options
    Re: Question about bulk / boost / float charge of my charge controler and blue top batte

Thanks. I installed a SHUNT for an ampere meter. Maybe this one is the blame.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about bulk / boost / float charge of my charge controler and blue top batte
    Thanks. I installed a SHUNT for an ampere meter. Maybe this one is the blame.
    check it & it's wire connections. Nothing should be warm enough to feel higher than ambient. I'll bet the shunt is way too high of resistance value. Should be less than 0.5 ohm - so small you can't measure it, but it should be marked on it somewhere. Or you will find a hot melty wire near it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• louisbanens
    louisbanens Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options

It seems my controller is the problem. When I switch it off and on while the battery is almost full, this happens. Just before that the controller was just charging at 14,5v (currenty my boost voltage) and 4amps while it could do more. After switching it off/on it tried to give 9 amps and the Over Voltage happened. When it was cloudy again and it couldn't charge so much the controller started working ok again, so it seems the controller seems to neeed a slow learning curve, what to do. The first time I also switched it off and on because I was experimenting a bit with it. I will not switch it off and on again during the day and check if it happens again.