Portable quick connect 5x20watt panels?

whackamole
whackamole Registered Users Posts: 18
I have 5 BP SX20U 20 watt panels (16.9v/1.19a) which I would like to be able to wire together as a 12v system. But I don't want it to be permanent.

These panels have a junction box which allows wiring, but I'd like to just wire some kind of plug to each one, then plug them all into a central "something." then then a pair of wires to my controller. I need to be able to do a quick connect/disconnect for when I pack them up

These will be for camping, and I plan to just pull them out, plug them together and hook it all up quickly.

Any recommendations on plugs and wiring? Can I use regular short extension cords (i.e. the orange or yellow home depot kind)? If not, could you suggest some possible solutions?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Portable quick connect 5x20watt panels?

Anderson Connectors, available from NAWS. They are polarized so you can't plug them in backwards. You can wire them anyway you like, to plug multiple panels in series or parallel or combination, then plug into a home run for example. Not cheap, but will work great. http://store.solar-electric.com/anhicupoco.html

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anderson connectors, but someone beat me too it.
    You will need the smallest size http://store.solar-electric.com/anpo15to45am.html and contacts to fit them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• whackamole

When saying I would connect them all to a "home run," what exactly does that look like? I was originally thinking about how to wire a quick connect to the junction box of the solar panels, and the powerpoles look like just the ticket.

It may be obvious, but I actually had not considered how I will wire the other side of the connector (for 12v system) together before hooking up to the charge controller.

Do I need some sort of box which will then have 5 matching connectors wired to it? What does such a box look like? Or is there a better way? I'd like to keep it cheap and inexpensive (and small and light.)

Thanks for all the help.
  • icarus

On my system, I have two sets of panels, each on a home run to the fuse/controller. Each panel has an Anderson connector on it, wired to the j-box on the panel. I have then made up a Y connector on the home run so that I can plug The two Anderson's from the panel into 1 Anderson for the home run. This way I can configure the panels in a number of situations, for example 2 in on location and to in another, or, 1 and 3 or even 0 and 4. If one panel fails or is shaded the output is not diminished. It works well because I leave two the panels permanently mounted and I move 2 of them at different times of the year.

The beauty of this is that by making up a number of Y connectors I have the flexibility to move them around as I need, as well as to be able to service them.

Does this make sense to you?

Tony

PS. The home run wiring is permanent with an Anderson connector at the end out of the building, and the other end wired at the Controller. There are two such home runs that come together at the breaker before feeding the controller. The output from the controller is fused at the battery as well.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I did not see which solar controller you are planning on using... The Morning Star MPPT 15 amp solar charge controller might be nice for you if you have 1 more solar panel...

You can put three panels in series, and then put the two strings in parallel (six panels total)--that would reduce your current and current drop (and needed wire size) by quite a bit... You could do 2x2 panels too--but that just wastes the availability of the 5th panel...

If you have an odd number of panels (like 5) -- then it would wire just like every other PWM type charge controller and not offer you much in any real advantages (unless you "snow camp" a lot in cold weather).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • whackamole

I think I understand the Y connector business. It sounds like a good idea.

Is the anderson connector 30 amp on all three? (I was wondering about the two panel's output combining into the common connector. Do you need a larger anderson contact in order to fit two wires instead of one? What gauge wire is needed? I assume I could just pick the 30 amp connector since that would allow for a little growth if I get a few more panels eventually.

As for the controller - The 15a MPPT controller you mentioned would be nice. However it is a bit pricey. I had not actually decided but was thinking about the basic 10a sunsaver to start with since they are less expensive. Given I have 5+ amps with my 100w of panels combined, that seems like it gives a little bit of growth.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the SunsaverMPPT, you may be able to use only 4 panels, 2 in a series string, and 2 parallel strings. Why ? The full utilization of the panel power as stepped down by the MPPT. Otherwise, you may only ??
    ( what happened - fell asleep on keyboard) What I meant to continue with was, 4 panels at full power, via MPPT, may net you more harvest, than 5 panels at less than optimum power via PWM controller.

Note: a 20w STC panel will in reality produce 80% of label power - 16 watts.

5 in parallel, thru a std charge controller, locked to 16V via the controller & battery, may not even produce the 16w apiece.

Do you have any other label information off the panels?

VOC 21V
    IMP 1.19A
    VMP 16.8V
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus

I use 50 amp Andersons. You can get different lugs for different wire sizes. My panels are wired with #10 wire, the Y's are wired with #10 also as each panel is only ~5 amps max. The home runs, (which are short) are wired with #6 stranded if memory serves. You can by the lugs seperately. I keep a selection for #10' and #6 around. The plugs themselves will fit either lugs (and more I would guess) To make the Y I put 2 #10s in a #6 lug and crimped it. Seems to work fine. The Andersons are also self cleaning as you plug and unplug them.

For what you are doing, the Sunsaver would work fine. I used one for years. Watch the water in the batteries however as I believe any temp compensation is in the unit, not on the batteries, and can have a very different voltage requirement.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The Sunsaver MPPT and many other Morning Star products support the optional (but highly recommended) battery temperature sensor option (~$30).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • whackamole
    mike90045 wrote: »

Do you have any other label information off the panels?

VOC
    IMP
    VMP

Peak Power (Pmax): 20w
    Warranted Minimum Pmax: 18w
    Voltage (Vmp) 16.8v
    Current (Imp) 1.19a
    Open Circuit Voltage: (Voc) 21v
    Short Circuit Current (Isc) 1.29a
    Minimum Bypass Diode: 3a
    Maximum Series Fuse: 3a

There is also all sorts of varying system voltages and data listed at the bottom of the label:

UL Information:
    Field Wiring: Stranded Copper Only 14-10 AWG/2.5-6mm Insulated for 90 deg C.
    600V Maximum System Voltage

FM Approved: 48 VDC Max System voltage

IEC 61215 Certified: 600V maximum system voltage

Dimensions (LxWxD): 19.8"x16.6"x1.98" (503 x 422 x 50 mm)
    Weight: 6.5 lbs (2.95kg)