Connecting the Charge Controller for a solar system

terminator
terminator Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello, I'm very new to solar energy. I got a charge controller from China - It probably wasn't the best choice but I just want to get something up and running / to experiment with. There are 3 electrical connections on the charge controller.. Solar, battery, and load... Am I supposed to hook up the inverter to the load connectors on the charge controller or directly to the battery?

Here is my cheap charge controller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181345329849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Connecting the Charge Controller for a solar system

Hi terminator, Welcome to the Forum.

Generally, NO, the inverter will need its own connection to the battery. You will need a fuse or circuit breaker, and suitable sized wire/cable for the battery to Inverter connections. Look at the manual for the inverter for the recommended sizes for these.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • terminator
    terminator Registered Users Posts: 5
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi terminator, Welcome to the Forum.

Generally, NO, the inverter will need its own connection to the battery. You will need a fuse or circuit breaker, and suitable sized wire/cable for the battery to Inverter connections. Look at the manual for the inverter for the recommended sizes for these.

Vic

Ok, thanks. Oh, what size fuse (circuit breaker) should I use? and thanks for the welcome!

edit.. 100w system will be expanded to 300w soon. I'm not sure if I can go to 400w with a 30a charge controller but I already want a different one anyhow.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

We should "do the math"...

Loads (watts maximum, watt*hours per day, etc.).
    Size battery bank (volts/Amp*Hours)
    Size solar array
    Size AC Inverter
    Size solar charge controller

Then pick hardware to do the job. There is no direct connection between AC inverter rating and wattage of the solar array+charge controllers.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset