What the process for adding an mc4 connection to pv cable?

Options
nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I cant find any clear directions on what needs to be done to install the metal inserts to the wire. How much wire do you strip to get a good connection before crimping? Is soldering necesary? Looking for detailed instructions or an active link.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: What the process for adding an mc4 connection to pv cable?
    nobody928 wrote: »
    I cant find any clear directions on what needs to be done to install the metal inserts to the wire. How much wire do you strip to get a good connection before crimping? Is soldering necesary? Looking for detailed instructions or an active link.

Thanks in advance.
    Basically I strip about 1/4 to 5/16 and use a crimper that is made for the job, but a regular crimper would work as long as it doesn't flatten the wire so much the MC4 housing won't slide over it. Hope this helps.
  • ARTsolar
    ARTsolar Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Options

This a link to a video of the crimper that I use, it also includes information on the strip length and good detail of the whole process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4yGfszChCA
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    nobody928 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.
    The right way is to use a crimper designed for it - no soldering - but those crimpers are expensive ~$600. Possibly an alternative is to buy made up cables as long as both + and - home runs summed and cut at the appropriate place to install the bare ends into your combiner box.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Buy the new SMA Transformerless inverter, they give you a free little MC4 tool with each one!
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    The right way is to use a crimper designed for it - no soldering - but those crimpers are expensive ~$600.

I did a quick google search for mc4 crimper and found many for ~60 ???
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    jcheil wrote: »
    I did a quick google search for mc4 crimper and found many for ~60 ???
    Yeah, most times that $600 one does a Certified Crimp that will stand on it's own in a court of law. It depends on what your trying to protect whether there is any value in that. Sometimes it's written into specifications what is required for crimping by name and number.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

I keep the lawyers away from my crimps.

My MC4 crimper came from ebay and cost $58. It works perfectly.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mtdoc wrote: »
    I keep the lawyers away from my crimps.

My MC4 crimper came from ebay and cost $58. It works perfectly.
    I doubt you'd be suing yourself from a roof fire caused by bad crimps. I don't even think mine cost $40 .... lol
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
    I doubt you'd be suing yourself from a roof fire caused by bad crimps.

If I did, I'd charge myself $500 per hour.:p

Seriously though - I have no doubt that the quality of my crimps are just as good as they would be with the $600 tool. If someone doesn't feel confident in their ability to judge the quality of the crimps they do then an overpriced tool is not going to help. Yes - you should use a good ratcheting crimping tool with a MC4 specific die, but paying for a "name branded" one really isn't necessary IMHO.