charging batteries with my honda 2000 eu

Options
kip martin
kip martin Registered Users Posts: 7
Hola

I have an outback fx and 8 Trojan L- 16 6 volts along with a Honda 2000 eu. We have had several days ( 5 ) without sun as it is raining in the rainforest. ( big surprise ) I may need to charge the batts. with my my gen. I have never done this so I am asking what I need to set my input limits to on my inverter. I have the manual and can find the screens to change the values but can someone give me a starting place for what those values should be?

Thanks Kip

Comments

• kip martin
    Options
    Re: charging batteries with my honda 2000 eu

That should say Honda 2000 eu.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I set the ACin amps to 12 amps and the Charger Limit Amps to any thing from 6-12 amps depending on how many loads I plan to run on Pass through. You can set them both to 12 amps and let the FX raise and lower the charger amps, but depending on the load, some times it will not react fast enough and the generator will drop out and then re-qualify. So you can play with the Charger Limits and find what suits you.

That will give you about 90% loading max. You should start out with the ECO Off then after it stabilizes you can turn it on. Max charge gives you about 2 hours or so to a gallon and a longer term scheme you can get 5-6 + at lower amps.

I also have another longer term plan I run that says I don't care how long the generator runs and I set the ACin to 6-7 amps and the Charger limit to 4-5 amps and just let the generator idle along. This gives you more power for Pass Through loads that the ECO throttle will pick up and the generator will load and un-load. The GFX also has Generator Support so it plays into this scheme, if I am running a A/C I set the ACin lower and let the Inverter pick up the excess load on the generator and keep it idling and charge more off-cycle.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kip martin wrote: »
    Hola

I have an outback fx and 8 Trojan L- 16 6 volts along with a Honda 2000 eu. We have had several days ( 5 ) without sun as it is raining in the rainforest. ( big surprise ) I may need to charge the batts. with my my gen. I have never done this so I am asking what I need to set my input limits to on my inverter. I have the manual and can find the screens to change the values but can someone give me a starting place for what those values should be?

I presume you have a mate. If not, you can't program your inverter.

In the SETUP menu of the Mate, set the Generator limits to 13 amps. In the ADV (advanced) menu, also set the charging limits to 13 amps.

This means you will run your generator at near its max and it will put all of its power into the batteries. Your batteries can handle the full output of that generator. If you have any AC loads, your inverter will cut back on the battery charging so that the AC loads do not pull more than 13 amps from the generator. (of course, if your AC loads exceed 13 amps, the generator will fault... the inverter can't stop you from overdrawing the generator on a pass-through AC load.

I am able to run my generator with the eco-throttle on... the VFX is fairly gentle when it ramps up its battery charger.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I presume you have a mate. If not, you can't program your inverter.

In the SETUP menu of the Mate, set the Generator limits to 13 amps. In the ADV (advanced) menu, also set the charging limits to 13 amps.

This means you will run your generator at near its max and it will put all of its power into the batteries. Your batteries can handle the full output of that generator. If you have any AC loads, your inverter will cut back on the battery charging so that the AC loads do not pull more than 13 amps from the generator. (of course, if your AC loads exceed 13 amps, the generator will fault... the inverter can't stop you from overdrawing the generator on a pass-through AC load.

I am able to run my generator with the eco-throttle on... the VFX is fairly gentle when it ramps up its battery charger.

--vtMaps
    I use to use 13 Amps ACin until I blew up 2 engines, learned a lesson. I now use 12 amps and leave a little on the table. @ $455 for a short block hurts. Once you see the smoke, it's to late.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

Let your pocket book be your guide. I have recorded as high as 5500 rpm as a overspeed before dropout.

Eco on - idle speed 3,000 rpm, maximum speed 5,000 rpm
    Eco off- idle speed 4,300 rpm, maximum speed 5,000 rpm

If the electrical load requires an engine speed of 4,300 rpm or greater, the eco switch does nothing.
  • kip martin
    Options

thanks to all responders, very helpful
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

One other thing, at least on My Mate, some may be different. You set the ACin generator Limit from the Main Screen. Select > Setup> FX > Input> choose Grid or Gen ( either works the same, just allows two different settings ) > Set ACin amps> ok .

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kip martin wrote: »
    Hola

I have an outback fx and 8 Trojan L- 16 6 volts along with a Honda 2000 eu.

5 days without sun or generator, I expect batteries to be fatally low. 12A charge into a 400ah battery is not going to do much for you. better than nothing, but not much. Let's hope you get some sun soon.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Blackcherry04
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    5 days without sun or generator, I expect batteries to be fatally low. 12A charge into a 400ah battery is not going to do much for you. better than nothing, but not much. Let's hope you get some sun soon.
    12 amps is AC AMPS drawn from the generator not DC amps. The DC amps depend on his system voltage.