Single person, large panel roof install tips/suggestions?

Options
I've solicited for help from a few friends and they aren't as thrilled as I am about the prospect of installing ten 65x40, 45lb solar panels on my roof. Imagine that! ;) So I've been entertaining the idea of just installing them myself. Any advice for doing this? The roof is 25 degrees, asphalt shingles, and average 12' high. It isn't very windy here. I'm up there all the time and very comfortable on my roof.

I see 2 main concerns and a few ways to address them. #1. obviously personal safety and 2. not dropping or damaging the panels. Lifting: I could build a wooden frame to hold the panels at a reachable height from the ground, then not have to work very hard to maneuver them once I get on the roof. Also, a temporary wooden alignment frame could be made to hold the bottom row in place while I secure them. [The top row would rest against the bottom row until secured.] Other ideas?

Honestly I'm a little concerned about others helping anyway. I'd hate to drop my friend's $250 solar panel, or 10 of them. Maybe they feel the same way. They aren't solar fanatics and the job is a little dangerous. Can't say I blame them for having reservations.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Single person, large panel roof install tips/suggestions?

It really is a 2 man job.
    In order to do it yourself you probably need a 'chock' at the bottom elevation of the panels to rest them against, a 'lip' on the top of the 2x4 to keep them from riding up and OOOOPS...
    Safety ropes would keep things and people safe.
    you will need to test the mounts on the ground to get familiar with the system..

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

Get HELP! Not worth getting hurt. I just put up 9 more panels this weekend and 6 the weekend before. Don't know how I would do it without help.

Good luck
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

I can recommend a good book.
  • treed678
    treed678 Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options

Thanks, ya'll. I was partly thinking/hoping I could come up with something to serve this and other purposes (roofing, more panels, more thermal collectors, etc), maybe even a system others could use. It should be fairly easy to setup, use, inexpensive, and safe of course. I'm not getting any younger either (nearly 40), but I can try to be a little smarter, right? :) I'm an ideas/thinker type of person and like this kind of challenge. I'll give up on it if it doesn't seem safe/is too complex/time consuming/etc.

You know, something as simple/obvious as portable staircase, or even building semi-permanent(?) stairs wouldn't really take that much time or expense, compared the the amount of time involved with an off grid setup. The chock would be pretty easy & safe. Only thing left would be dealing with the pitch, roping off - not very difficult either.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

It can be done. I am 65 and just completed install of 20 ea 250 watt panels on 20 deg pitch. My eve height was about 10 feet. Built a slide lift out of 2x4's. With horz brace about half way up. Lift from ground rest on it, go to roof and pick from there.

Now saying that it can be done, I would recommend that you try and fine some help. Use securely anchored fall restaints. Be safe we wouldn't want to hear of you getting injured or worse.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

I just did a similar install on second floor roof solo. It goes a lot better with a couple of folks. I have two rows of 4 panels wide

First thing is put a safety harness on and climb set a anchor point high on the roof. I used my Chimney.

I then put in set of roof brackets with a plank at the lower edge of the roof from a ladder.

For description I have to install four rails for the two rows of panels, I will number then 1,2,3,4 from the bottom roof edge. I install half of the first rail and then rail number 2 from the plank. Then using #2 rail for support, I install #3 and then #4.

I had two 10' pieces of unistrut (available at Home Depot). Using 1/4" flat aluminum stock, I make two brackets that attach to the two open solar mount studs and allow one end of the strut to pivot vertically. The brackets are bent so that the other end of the unistruts can be bolted together so the assembly forms a upside down V. I assemble this on the roof. I actually ditch the harness at this point but that is your call.

I then attach a pulley to the top of the V and run rope through it plus run a rope back from the V to the highest row of roof mounts. I then pivot the assembly out over the front of the house, the rope running back to the upper anchor point limits how far out it hangs. What I have assembled is a derrick.

I go down the ladder and using rope I do a basket hitch around the panel and hook it to the rope coming down off the derrick. I parked my pickup on the front lawn for a convenient anchor point. I then pull the panel up the derrick until the panel it is about a couple of feet short of the pulley and then tie it off to my bumper.

Back up the ladder and using the anchor rope I can pull in the derrick so that the panel pivots over the edge of the roof. If I planned it right, the panel will rise slightly as the distance between the pulley and the bumper increases. Once the derrick pivots past vertical it will stay where it is and I can unhook the panel. I then install the panel and wiring working off the staging. I could then repeat this for the six of the panels (4 upper and 2 lower). I then stored two panels behind my chimney and removed the derrick freeing up the two solar mounts so I could install the final piece of racking rail.

I then install the last two panels from the plank. Do note while this is going on I am hooking up wires under the panels and using clips to secure the cables.

I used a solardeck roof box to terminate my cables and the final task was to run the ground cables down the side of the panels from rail to rail.

Using a ladder I remove the plank and roof brackets.

It sounds complex and it is with a lot of going up and down a ladder. If at all possible I would get the derrick set up and have someone help me from the ground with the derrick and stockpile panels on the roof.

The biggest safety issue is heat on the roof. Its easy to get overheated and dehydrated while sitting in the sun on a hot roof and as that happens, your decision ability goes down and its real easy to take shortcuts. I did the majority of mine on cool cloudy day but when the sun came out I had to take a break about every 1/2 hour.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Being as you did it solo ... there are no pictures! Sounds like it was fun.

Ralph
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you think it through, I think you can figure out how to do it. I think individual trips to the roof is the least likely to damage panels, but a PITA.

If you are using bolt down from above type mounts, the hardest thing would be having the panels not sliding while they are on the rails and your trying to screw them down. The shelf liner/drawer liner for tool drawers between the panel and the rail should provide enough friction so that you can get things going. I use to see the stuff at dollar stores, I know you can find it at hardware stores.

If your doing multiple rails, one above the other, you might do the pedestals, and use those for holding the panels with a board spanning between, with out the rails installed. renting/borrowing a couple sections of scaffolding might be the quickest way to have a platform to rest the panels at the edge of the roof. Ask around, it might surprise you at the number of people you know that have scaffolding! very useful stuff and shouldn't be too expensive to rent if you have to, but if you ask 3 people you'll find someone who has some or knows someone (at least in my rural area), I even purchased a section at a garage sale 6 months ago and it's currently setup where I installed a chimney for my wood stove.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe call your local "day labor" work center and just pay someone to help you. Likely won't be more than $15/hr. Might even get someone that is skilled with roof work.

I do that anytime I have to move. I hate asking friends cause nobody likes to help people move :)
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • NeedMoreSolar
    NeedMoreSolar Registered Users Posts: 23
    Options

I did 40 by myself. Get this tool it made it so much more manageable.
    Grip-On Tools 4-Head Suction Cup Dent Puller
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_42404_42404?isSearch=160876
    just make sure to put a little pressure on it when attaching it. Put the panel under your arm glass facing away from you. Attach this now one person can easily handle the panel. I ended up installing 54 panels with this tool it never let loose once. Being able to lift the panel with one hand is so helpful.
  • etcm
    etcm Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options

I was going to do mine - all myself (twenty 2meter x 1 meter, 52 lb panels) ...but my wife almost started crying and said she has only one husband.. so I contracted it out :cry:
    At $2700 to install the roof mounts (pre-drill holes, premium caulk mount pads and torque lags into the roof rafters), haul up and mount the rails, haul up and mount & connect the panels, connect bundle and string the panel wires to my (self installed) eave top PV collector box, plus connected the Equipment ground conductors; I felt like it was worth it (...minus the 30% federal tax credit). It took 2 days. It would have taken me many (dangerous) trips to my second story roof on an extension ladder.

If you have a single story installation, the wooden frame/platform might not be too bad. I'd recommend installing all of the rails and prepositioning the wire runs (if you already have them made up) before lifting the panels. With the rails up, you can hoist the panels up and stack them parallel to the rail(s) such that the rail(s) keep them from sliding down. You have to plan though so you do not have a stack of panels right where you need to start your installation - kind of like roofers pre-staging the shingle bundles.
    Good luck.
  • WNY Dave
    WNY Dave Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options

Maybe a local rental place, you can rent a ladder lift. Or maybe you can fab up a dolly or sled or something that can ride on a separate ladder or something you can hoist them up.

SP_Attachment_wHr''.jpg
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

now that's pretty slick. i've never seen one of those. so is there a ratcheting mechanism or auto brake on it to prevent it from going back down without you releasing it to? better yet link to a place that sold it and we can look at them.
  • WNY Dave
    WNY Dave Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options

various companies have them, do a google search on SOLAR PANEL LIFT

http://www.boeckeramericas.com/index.php?link=products&page=TopLiftECO
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Paul
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I saw one that a guy had made from a old garage door opener that he had clamped to a aluminum ladder. I watched it and it seemed to work just fine. I know they have shingle lifters.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

Oooh, two story, blah! Think I'd rent a cherry picker from the local rental center.

Attachment not found.

I almost did that for my single story. Reason being is the roof has a steep pitch.

dscn9443.jpg

I was able to install the lower rail from the ladder. With a safety rope attached to me, I then climbed on the roof, using the lower rail as a platform to stand on. I then measured and installed the upper rail.

The 130W panels I'm using are about 25 lbs a piece. Not too bad on a ladder, but a little awkward. From the ladder, I set the panel on top of the upper rail, but against the lower rail. This way they stayed in place until I got on the roof.

dscn9466.jpg

I had pre-drilled the upper rails. Once on the roof, I pulled the panel into position, and used two screwdrivers as pegs to hold the panel in place, until I could get the mounting hardware installed.

dscn9468.jpg

I did leave the rails longer than necessary on both sides. It makes a great roof mounted ladder to help climb in position. Another group of panels will be mounted above these, so I will use the upper rail as a platform to stand when installing the other rails.

dscn9476.jpg

Not sure if these pictures will be helpful for your install, but I fretted over this for some time before using this method. Please take the time to put a safety rope over the roof. 10', 50', doesn't matter, dead is dead. We've had a few fatal falls at work, some on single story buildings. Landing on a neck = bad day.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

2manytoyz,
    in rereading this i noticed that you have a bit of a shading problem going on for the lower pvs. planning on doing some tree trimming?