wind power system silly question

Options
mikebodima
mikebodima Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello

I have a silly question

Let us say there is no wind in my area.

Let us say that i buy a 3 kw wind power system and i put infront of it 2 big fans that are 1500rpm with airflow 205 m3/min for each fan.

Will this make the wind power system blades rotate to produce 1 kw electricity ?

Thank you

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: wind power system silly question

Ideally, the best energy transfer you could probably hope for is 50% with ducted turbines/coupling with the driving blades.

In reality, if you got a few percent--You are doing well with "free air" Turbines.

So, other than trying to dry fresh paint on your turbine blades/body--There is no real reason (that I can see) to even attempt this.

If you are trying to build a wind tunnel to test turbines--Then we can talk. But the reality is that to test full scale turbines--You are looking a a pretty good sized facility:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/orgs/aeronautics/windtunnels/multimedia/upwt_aerial.html

Attachment not found.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mikebodima wrote: »
    Hello

I have a silly question

Let us say there is no wind in my area.

Let us say that i buy a 3 kw wind power system and i put infront of it 2 big fans that are 1500rpm with airflow 205 m3/min for each fan.

Will this make the wind power system blades rotate to produce 1 kw electricity ?

Thank you

If you put enough fan in front of the turbines they will rotate and produce power.

But here's the thing: where does the energy come from to drive the fans?

Don't say "the wind turbines" because that is perpetual motion and does not work. Not ever.

Net result is that more power will go in to running enough fan to turn the turbines than the turbines will ever produce.
  • mikebodima
    mikebodima Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Cariboocoot

No, i do not mean the fans will get electricity from the wind power turbine.

The electricity will be provided from home to the fans.

But my question, will the 3 fans make the wind turbine blades rotate and give the full 3 kw? or i am going to need more fans?

I guess u r going to ask why i want the wind system since i can already plug the fans from home:) well it is long story , it needs 1000 lines to explain what i am doing :)

So i am asking, to see if purchase the wind power system or not, because if i can not make it work with fans, i have to forget about the idea that i am trying to make :)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Look at the specs on the turbine: they will tell you what wind speed is needed for full output. The fans need to be able to produce that wind speed in the same "footprint" of area. In other words you would need 6' diameter fans to drive 6' diameter turbines and they'd have to be able to flow the same CFM the turbines require.

So you need to know the diameter of the turbine blades, the RPM they need to operate at, and the windspeed to generate that wind.

Multiple fans per turbine probably will not work because they will create turbulence in front of them as the moving are from each hits that from the others. And usually fans are not designed to produce the 20 mph air speeds that turbines expect as that is rather uncomfortable for most people (usual application of fans).

If you wish to test turbines for output, mechanically connecting them to a motor so that they can be spun at the correct RPM is the most efficient method of doing so.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

best way to "test" turbines, is rig it to a truck, and drive down a flat road (you don't want a rough road, the gyroscopic effects of bumps will tear the bearings apart)
    here's an article : http://otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_modelAtest.html
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,