Happy equinox

zoneblue
zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
For all those whose arrays face the equinox solar noon, todays the one of two brief moments each year when the true angle of incidendence (AOI) is zero. Drat it, i was 10 minutes late to take this image from behind the array.

Attachment not found.
1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Happy equinox

Today was the best production I have seen in quite a while. Temps stayed under 100F with a nice steady breeze blowing all day to keep the panels cooler. Plus the consumption was also down, the AC units are doing much better in these conditions. From what I can tell on the predicted temps we only have about 2-3 weeks of AC season left. Finally the lows tonight are predicted to be about 65-68 F so opening the house up in the morning will be a great relief.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

zoneblue,
    couldn't you have cheated a bit by moving the camera over a tad and tilting the angle a bit?;) we wouldn't be able to tell.
    also , weird how from your pvs the tracking goes from right to left whereas ours goes from left to right.

solar dave,
    i'b be happy to send some of our temps down to you right now as it's 54 f.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Well you can see by the shades of grey on the sides of the frames that the cameras up and down centrality is about right, the left to right is a bit off. That the tilt is right is no surprise as the tilt was determined using autocad. As for the azimith, the cameras a bit off there, and, as it determined with a hiking grade compass (adjusting for magnetic N), its going to be a up to 5 degrees. Will check it again tomorow if its sunny. Time of solar noon you can get from http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

Was quite sunny too, so much power waiting for uses.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• niel

actually i like the pic as it is artistically. i also think it would make a great avatar for you.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    zoneblue,
    couldn't you have cheated a bit by moving the camera over a tad and tilting the angle a bit?;) we wouldn't be able to tell.
    also , weird how from your pvs the tracking goes from right to left whereas ours goes from left to right.

solar dave,
    i'b be happy to send some of our temps down to you right now as it's 54 f.

Well it is after 10PM, finally the temps are cool enough to open the windows, I ran around and shut down all the AC units. I am on my patio no shirt, in shorts, comfortably cool out. I bet I will want a tee shirt in the morning! :D
  • niel

funny because it got cool enough for me to run around and close my windows this morning. at this moment (noon) it's again 54 degrees and will be around 44 tonight.