Numbers checking way West Texas..

Options
ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
So I got some numbers.. keep in mind the panels are 145w rated and its a 12v system.. Panels are in pairs.. so my Midnite 150 sees them as a "24v" set..

Midnite Classic is set for Solar. 14.6 Absorb (2hr min and 3hr max) and 13.7 Float. Running 4 Energizer 6V GC2's from Sams.. Rated at 220ah.. so a 440ah 12v bank..

6 panels installed
8/2 658w peak. float was 1hr 9min
8/3 651w peak. float was 1hr 7min
8/4 731w peak. float was 48min (2 panels added but not on at first as I was playing with the breakers.. lol)..

2 panels face East (Left).. 4 middle fast South and slightly East.. 2 panels face West-ardly (Right)..

SolarNow.jpg

8 panels installed
8/5 843w peak. float was 23min 3.9kwh
8/6 986w peak. float was 32min 4.1kwh
8/7 1082w peak. no float. 3.7 kwh
8/8 839w peak. no float. 4 kwh
8/9 751w peak. float was 1hr 36min (had overcast day). 3.6 kwh

For a detail on the 8/5 I checked hourly..

9am.. 340watts and 26.7 amps
10am.. 555watts and 42 amp
11:10am.. 50 amps..
11:20am.. 52.1 amps..
11:35am.. 730-735watts & 53 amps.. 1.5kwh
11:48am.. 754watts & 53.5amps.. 1.7kwh
12pm.. Absorb.. 44 amps../14.5v/ 2.0 kwh
1pm.. 2.4 kwh and 28 amps.
7pm.. 195watts and 15amps.. :cool:

At 7:30 am.. I still am at 12.5V on the battery terminals.. (using a tester)..

Seems most days I am in Absorb by Noon.. Does this sound correct??

Would you suggest letting the fridge run for an hour or so in the middle of the night to drop the batteries abit more??
Currently on a timer to run 8:30am to 5:30pm.. then shuts off.. Only keeping drinks in their at this point..

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Numbers checking way West Texas..

Looks like your production on the overcast day was not much less than on the sunny day. You probably would get more on a sunny day if you pointed them all to the South.

You probably use much less energy (fans) on overcast day than on sunny day.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you have plenty of potential, time to start using some of it. If you do a little load management your going to do just fine.
  • ywhic
    Options

Setting up the cabin and doing the insulation in the roof this coming Tues/Wed should cut down the heat to be more reasonable and hopefully will cut down the refrigerator usage numbers as well..

Also planned.. a toilet and septic this week..
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

You know what else would cut down on the heat? Using the panels to shade the sunny side of the cabin. It would also be better than having them on the ground facing every which-way.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I made a Panel mount for a guy on a boat that was basically a See-Saw with 2 panels on each side of the fulcrum. It had perfect balance and he moved it with a rope, I don't know if ever motorized it. It would feather flat for a storm and tilt 2 directions, it would have been easy to make it tilt 3 ways. A thought.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    I made a Panel mount for a guy on a boat that was basically a See-Saw with 2 panels on each side of the fulcrum. It had perfect balance and he moved it with a rope, I don't know if ever motorized it. It would feather flat for a storm and tilt 2 directions, it would have been easy to make it tilt 3 ways. A thought.

Could be used as a sail :D
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Options

13.7 float sounds a bit high to me. Have you checked with Johnson Controls for their recommendations on these batteries?
    Have you checked your kwh output with all the panels facing due south? (I hate to see panels in the shade :D)
    I would run that refrigerator more. You're not even using those batteries!
    Congrats, you're in an ideal place for solar electricity. I'm not far from you, down in the Big Bend.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i've got a feeling your pvs will start shading other pvs during the colder times near the winter solstice.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options
    You know what else would cut down on the heat? Using the panels to shade the sunny side of the cabin. It would also be better than having them on the ground facing every which-way.

bingo, this is why I roof mounted the panels on my cabin. It has helped a TON this summer. Keeping the cabin cooler while generating power, that's a win-win.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

Are those home made panel mounts bolted into the ground either way? If not they could blow away in a strong wind. Does look like you will get inter-row shading. 4 feet distance between top of front row and bottom of back row would be safer (6 feet portrait). Further away from the building too as the picture shows, the shade does go south during spring-summer sunrise/sunset as the sun does go north so if you want beyond 9AM-3PM performance (Your east/west panels suggest that you do), you need to account for shade going south.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dill wrote: »
    bingo, this is why I roof mounted the panels on my cabin. It has helped a TON this summer. Keeping the cabin cooler while generating power, that's a win-win.

Al hasn't made it back to the 'big city' to reply. I think we discussed it before and he was worried about theft and wanted to be able to quickly put the panels in the cabin if he was going to be away for a while.

Al, I hope the sun hasn't gotten to you! Hang in there and give us an update when you can.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If security is an issue--Al might want to put one panel on the roof to float the batteries if he will be gone for a month or more at a time.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

wonder how things are progressing?
  • ywhic
    Options

Sorry.. never got any notifications for some reason.. I opened an 'ammo shop' (in Dec) and finally got my FFL (in March) and now have a 'gun shop' in the nearest town..

Bought a 700w microwave and ran it around noon a few (like 5-6) weeks back..

68.5 amps and FLOAT.

685amps.jpg

Things are doing alright.. had no real issues with shading..

The panels have 40 pounds of concrete per panel underneath the 'legs' and 1/2" J bolts..

I also used 6" hose clamps as a backup in case the wood splits or cracks or the mounting screws try and pull out the wood runners..

I have gotten new galvanized boxed 'runners' and will be installing them shortly..(replacing the wood ones).

I will be installing 2 more batteries pretty soon and be at 660ah before summer so I can run the AC and still store some juice..

I used a KWatt meter and a 6500 unit was pulling like 4.7 amps (I think) when running when I tested one back in NJ..

I did note the Xantrex is not reading the same as the Midnite.. and I have to shut things down and restart the inverter to get the numbers more evened up..

I just got in some new 2/0 cable for the buss bar to the Xantrex as I'm thinking my 'welding cable' is just worn out or got some tarnish on the wire ends..
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Al,

Many of us have wondered how you are doing. Thanks for the update. You have done a lot of work on your cabin, looks nice.
    Good Luck, keep in touch, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Al, one safety related item, is that heater (water? propane?) vented to the outside?

Looks good.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Is your tankless water heater vented outside or into the cabin?

I wonder if your copper wires tarnishing (faster than expected) is from combustion gasses (water heater, possibly cooking if cabin is buttoned up)--Combustion gasses are pretty acidic (water condensation is acidic).

May need some better venting.

If you are soldering your cable ends--Make sure you are using electronic rated solder/fluxes... If you use plumbing solder + acid + fluxes, it will get into the cabling and cause lots of corrosion issues (soldering cabling is something I would suggest avoiding anyway).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ywhic
    Options

The tankless water heater is currently not vented.. nor do I keep the gas valve (on the black pipe) open when I'm not running for max of 3-5 minutes.. everything gets 'closed' on all my gas appliances unless I am running them. I am in town 2 days at a clip as well. and spend my Wed and Sunday at the cabin..

The tankless could/should be vented if I wanted to (and its in my plans to do it)..

I am using the copper Bundy mechanical lug (copper) [BTC0208] on the inverter to bussbar wire ends..

I am using like I said 'old' welding wire (like 300 strand) currently and it seems to tarnish/blackin pretty quickly..

On another note my 40w GMRS radio reachs up the 4 miles to the HWY and then 9 miles toward town.. 8)
  • ywhic
    Options

The only issue I had last fall was the $10 cheap car rated 60 amp breaker (from controller to bussbar) started to pop..

inline60B.jpg

So I spent $27 and got a proper Midnite 100 amp (sample 60 amp photo) and mounted it inside a normal outlet box just above the 'bussbar'.

Attachment not found.

Next time I go out I will get a pic of the current setup for ya'll..