Midnite E panel ?

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Has anyone ever made a right hinged panel into a left hinged panel? Specifically a MNE-125AL.

Dennis

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Midnite E panel ?

Post over at the midnite forum or call Ryan, they'll sell you the 'door only' if it is available, I think almost all of them are setup for the door hinging on either side. I asked the same question, but used a different E-Panel. I had purchased both during a closeout.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • verdigo

I just got this one off of E bay for $175.00. I really don't know why other than it was cheap. :roll:
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

What is your reason for switching the door?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • verdigo

The manual states that if you have a Classic CC you need a left hand door version. The heat sink would be on the wrong side.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    verdigo wrote: »
    The manual states that if you have a Classic CC you need a left hand door version. The heat sink would be on the wrong side.

That is true if you need your system to be as compact as possible. If you move the Classic a few inches away from the Epanel (connected by conduit) you can put the Classic whereever you want.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit

??? I am surprised if it said that, the Classic can be mounted on either side, the have photos of E-Panels one either side of the Classics.

"I just got this one off of E bay for $175.00. I really don't know why other than it was cheap."

It will make wiring and breakers a breeze!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • verdigo

Yeah. I figured I could mount the Classic away from the panel. I had a few beers last night and it seemed like a good idea to buy at the time. I wound up buying the second one for $150.00. The thinking was along the lines of dual Outback Inverters, or to re-sell one or both. Lots of good parts inside. Anyway I got two for less than the price of one, and they are new in the box, but both right hand hinged units. If I do go with an Outback inverter I can stack if/when my system grows.
  • westbranch

Yes the Classic manual says that it's to be mounted on the right side, then they show pics of both... a bit confusing.

It is easy to 'flip' the CB's etc as the E-panels are Mirrored on each half, just start moving them one at a time. Depending on which version you have some may be more complex than others. If you have the AC breakers on the top already just leave them there. You will have room above the Cl to mount the PV In and OUT on the right side.
    Be aware that the screws are in tight!

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Photowhit

OK, "I'm a believer", That is what the manual says, and I might even move my 2 a little farther apart, they are about 3/4" from each other now. FWIW I didn't make things up, from the manual;

Attachment not found.

It doesn't have the turbo vent on the right side, so perhaps an earlier prototype, or running sealed(though it sure looks open in the middle. Perhaps boB will come along and straighten things out later.
    .1.JPG 43.3K
  • verdigo

Since I bought these, (Haven't got them yet) I took another look at Outback Inverters. I am still leaning toward an XW4548 inverter. The outback grid interactive inverters don't like generators, but from what I have been reading Schneider's XW inverters have pretty spotty support. I got the E panels cheap enough though and might be able to cannibalize or otherwise use one to simplify wiring for an XW inverter.

Dennis
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Since I bought these, (Haven't got them yet) I took another look at Outback Inverters. I am still leaning toward an XW4548 inverter. The outback grid interactive inverters don't like generators, but from what I have been reading Schneider's XW inverters have pretty spotty support. I got the E panels cheap enough though and might be able to cannibalize or otherwise use one to simplify wiring for an XW inverter.

It's not hard to wire XW with a non-stock panel. I used MNDC-250L on a DC side and couple of AC panels from Home Depot on the AC side. Different inverters require mostly the same stuff to get connected.
  • Photowhit
    Since I bought these, (Haven't got them yet)...

I miss this earlier, I hope you have generic E-Panels that the 'door' isn't made to mount a specific inverter. many E-Panels are designed with the door drilled out to mount a specific inverter, like Magnum or Outback.

The E-Panels are basically designed for ease of use for most installations, mine came with some additional stickers to label things if you wanted to rearrange the hardware. My E-Panel lite I basically made into a big DC disconnect box. I will have 3 Classics attached to it at some point, and little need for the AC bus bars since I don't have alternate sources of charging.
  • verdigo

They are made for the 48 volt Outback grid interactive inverters MNE125AL as shown on this link http://www.solar-electric.com/epaforouin.html I don't think it would much trouble to use one to wire up an XW inverter though. Of course that is Not using the door mount feature. I would have to close off the door cut-outs.
  • Photowhit

Likely you can get a solid door from Midnite if you ask, it's not cheap but you'll still be money ahead from buying a new E-Panel. I think mine is the same size, and is called E-Panel lite (I think) I'm sure they still make E-Panels with solid doors, but it appears NAWS doesn't sell any, very odd!!!

Unless your going to use a 48 volt inverter or a small 24v inverter, you may well want to replace the inverter breaker, a 125amp breaker would be for a something like a 1000watt 12 volt inverter.

Here's my E panel with rearranged furniture(I promise you it has a solid door), one of the reasons I think you can get a solid door is I asked about converting a magnum E-Panel to a solid door and Midnite shot me a price, I had just been cut back to 16 hours a week and choose to use this one that I already had as well;
    Attachment not found.
  • westbranch

AFAIK NAWS sells the doors etc., however it might be a special order, and take a bit more time.
    If you phone/email MN they will give you the part number before contacting NAWS.

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Here's my E panel with rearranged furniture

Looks like your main breaker is wired backwads (assuming the wire at the top contact goes from the battery and the on position of the switch is up), at least it is opposite of mine :confused:
  • westbranch

Right NG, if the switch OFF position is on the bottom, the power from the battery should be to the bottom lug and to the inverter at the top.

Also looks like the cable to the bottom lug is smaller than the top cable ??

• verdigo
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Likely you can get a solid door from Midnite if you ask, it's not cheap but you'll still be money ahead from buying a new E-Panel. I think mine is the same size, and is called E-Panel lite (I think) I'm sure they still make E-Panels with solid doors, but it appears NAWS doesn't sell any, very odd!!!

Unless your going to use a 48 volt inverter or a small 24v inverter, you may well want to replace the inverter breaker, a 125amp breaker would be for a something like a 1000watt 12 volt inverter.

Here's my E panel with rearranged furniture(I promise you it has a solid door), one of the reasons I think you can get a solid door is I asked about converting a magnum E-Panel to a solid door and Midnite shot me a price, I had just been cut back to 16 hours a week and choose to use this one that I already had as well;
    Attachment not found.

I'll phone NAWS Monday about a solid door. I am going 48 volts so the 125 amp breaker should be fine.
  • Photowhit
    westbranch wrote: »
    Right NG, if the switch OFF position is on the bottom, the power from the battery should be to the bottom lug and to the inverter at the top.

Also looks like the cable to the bottom lug is smaller than the top cable ??

I think you'all are right, must have been sleepy that day. Wire size doesn't matter so long as the breaker will protect the wire. Longish run to the battery, in fact I have 0000 cable to make for battery cables, and will cut up the current 00 for inverter cables, in time.