Its time to start hanging some panels.

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Does anyone have any pictures or know of an off the shelf adjustable mounting system to be used on my metal roof. The ground mount I can just do with Stainless angle. The roof is approx 30 degrees, and I want to be able to adjust to 50-55 degrees. The panels measure 77" x 39" and will be mounted longitudinally in two pairs.

IMAG0159.jpg

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Its time to start hanging some panels.

what about the S-5 system, http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm
    the PV part can be used with regular strut from Acklands (pricey) or other supply houses, many brands, Uni-strut, etc

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • verdigo
    westbranch wrote: »
    what about the S-5 system, http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm
    the PV part can be used with regular strut from Acklands (pricey) or other supply houses, many brands, Uni-strut, etc

Pretty nifty, but I worry about wind. I don't mind drilling through the roof. In fact I plan to construct hard points at the penetrations between the rafters so that if the wind takes the panels it takes the roof with it.

Thanks for the reply though.

Dennis
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

You made a really good progress since you last posted the pictures of your shed.

If you're afraid of the roof flying away with panels, have you used hurricane ties on the rafters?
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am a pretty big fan of IronRidge XRS mounting rails.

http://www.ironridge.com/products/roofmounting/overview
  • verdigo
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    You made a really good progress since you last posted the pictures of your shed.

If you're afraid of the roof flying away with panels, have you used hurricane ties on the rafters?

I do have hurricane ties. What I meant was that if the wind blows hard enough to take the panels it would be strong enough to take the roof as well meaning that I want my panels very well secured to the roof. The mount system westbranch mentioned only clamped to the existing ridges in the metal roofing material with no penetrations.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite, the PV clamp part can be used with 'strut ' material which can be secured to the trusses. See this link:
    http://www.s-5.com/solar/index_2483.cfm#30

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • verdigo

I just ordered (from NAWS) the Iron Ridge PV mount set-up. When it arrives I can post pics of the assembly process if anyone is interested.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I love installation pictures.
    gww
  • PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, please post pictures. I too have struggled with tilt-mounting panels on a steel roof -- I didn't want to pay the Iron Ridge price.
  • verdigo
    Yes, please post pictures. I too have struggled with tilt-mounting panels on a steel roof -- I didn't want to pay the Iron Ridge price.
    I didn't either but I have so little time to actually work on my system that I figured it would save me some time. I only have two of these grape panels and I want to get them out in the sun and see if I will stay with the brand. Yeah $680ish shipped and all from NAWS with all the hardware. Once I get those mounted I am going to hook up the charge controller and charge some batteries, and get some measurements, I figure with the holiday I won't get the Iron Ridge stuff for another week. In the meantime I'm working on the battery enclosure.