While charging batts - Possible Genny overload - Chris O?

Options
Surfpath
Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
Very cloudy/rainy day today so at 11am I started the generator (Yamaha 6300) to charge the bank and run the fridge (only 20watts of other houseloads on).

My usual charge sequence is as follows:
  1. Turn the house mains off
  2. Program the FX charger in the mate to "ON,"
  3. turn the Genny on in "Full" mode,
  4. turn the Flexpower Panel's "AC out" breaker to on,
  5. then flip the house mains to on - actually the wife does the last while I am downstairs.
  6. I then charge on "full power" until the the FX charger & house loads are less than or = 1700 watts.
  7. Then I usually switch to "econ" to save gas.
The wife is on a trip, so this time I did #5, and went back to the solar room and looked at the inverter loads on the mate and saw 2300watts (OK, normal), then a dip down to 1500w after ~3minutes. Fine, appropriate considering that the bank did get a little PV charge earlier. So I flipped the "Econ" switch to "on" to save gas. Great. Fine.

Then (this is where I think I screwed up). I noticed that the "AC out" breaker on my power panel was still "off", so I flipped this to "ON" while my genny was in econ mode. In effect I only now added the house load to the 1500 watts of FX charging.

What happended was that the genny's engine RPMs dropped to eco mode, but also then surged to take on the start up of my 9cu ft fridge (only other load on was a 20watt light). I thought oops, (but then again this "econ" hard start had happened by mistake once/twice? before in the early days when I was figuring out the system with no issues).

OK, I turned back to the Mate. I noticed pretty quickly that the Mate's "AC loads" reading seemed to be fluctuating a little from (say) 1700watts to 1800 watts and then back again. This seemed odd to me when this normally just slowly drops off over time, not surges. However, maybe this was just an incedential observation.

The real issue started about 3 minutes later when I noticed (blue) smoke coming from the Genny's exhaust (it's usually pretty smokeless) and a pretty bad plastic-like/chemical smell coming from (I discovered later) somewhere inside the air cooling inlet.

I shut everything off. The Genny had been running for about ? 12 minutes.

After 15 minutes I restarted the genny (no troubles). Restarted the charge sequence (this time the right way around). When I went back to the solar room after #5 I noticed that the red overload indicator light was on (for the first time) and the green AC on light was off. So I turned the Genny off.

The genny's manual is extremely basic, but this is what it says about the red overload light
Attachment not found.

The PV equipment seems fine, no trouble lights during this time that I could see. I opened up the genny...apart from the, now slight, plasticky smell coming from the inlet all looks OK, none of the electrical boards look charred or smell burnt. I did not check the oil, but I had changed it 12 hrs ago and saw no leakage.

Just now came back from Yamaha dealer "technician" as they were closing up to drop it off. When I described the issue he looked relatively bewildered. I use inverted commas on "technician" very heavily - their training is very basic here.

Any advice on where you think I should have them look first tomorrow?

ps. that wife should not have left on her trip. See what happens? :p
Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: While charging batts - Possible Genny overload - Chris O?

Uh, why are you doing all this breaker flipping?

You have an FX system. You program the maximum on the AC IN to not exceed the generator's limit. You program the inverter's charger (in AC Amps) appropriate to the battery bank. When you need the gen you fire it up and connect it to AC IN (switch, cord, auto gen start). The inverter will seamlessly switch loads over to the gen and begin charging batteries from it. If the loads go up it will throttle back the charging until it goes down again.

The only time the gen would overload would be if the programming was set too high, allowing the FX to draw more for loads & charging than the gen is capable of supplying. If the programming is correct and the loads go too high the FX should drop the gen and go to invert to supply loads (this may cause a momentary power interruption). It will then try to pick the gen up again after a few cycles.

I think your FX is programmed wrong. 5.5kW of gen on 230 VAC should supply no more than 23 Amps (maximum AC IN). For 370 Amp hours @ 48 Volts the charging current should be about 7 Amps (AC) max on a 230 VAC system.
  • Surfpath
    Options

Hi Coot,
    I admit the breaker flipping is maybe a little excessive. I am new to this. I did not know that the inverter would seamlessly transfer the loads over (thanks).

So (the light is beginning to go off in my head), by turning off my mains breaker (basically this usually means just turning off the fridge) I inadvertedly introduce high start up wattages to my generator when I flip the mains breaker back on & the fridge kicks in again. Usually this is not an issue because the generator has handled the initial surge on Full, but perhaps on "Eco" it was a little too much?, even though eco has handled this surge before.

My FX is programmed to charge at a max of 10amps (ie 2,300watts) and the generator's limit is ~5,500 watts. I set it at 10amps several months ago when I was battery charging alone before PV (see earlier posts on NAWS). My house loads are usually a fridge and a few lights.

I monitor this charging and (usually) only go to ECO when FX charging & house loads drop to a combined total of no more than ~ 1,700watts.

At the time when I flipped the fridge back on I was only FX charging at 1,500 watts (ie less than 7 amps). With the fridge this may have gone up to a total of, say 3,000-3,300 watts?

I realize a lower FX charging rate is a generator safety measure, however even if I had set charging amps at 7amps I think I would have had a similar outcome.

What I should have done is not introduced high start up watts. I should have left the AC loads and breaker on. All I should have done is (like you said), program the FX to charge, start the genny, and flip on the AC in switch on the Flexpower panel....and not hard start in eco mode

I fear it's a costly mistake. man, bad day.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

For what it's worth I run my Honda in Eco mode all the time. It is 1600 Watts (derate for elevation makes it less). It has no trouble handling the 'frige turning on with other loads at full charge, because the AC IN and Charge Amps are limited. The only thing that will knock it off is the water pump, the solution for which is to keep that off. But if the pump is already running I can switch to gen power without a glitch.

Your 370 Amp hours only needs about 37 Amps max, which is about 7.75 AC Amps charging (on 230 VAC input). 10 Amps would be 47-ish to the batteries. You could shave a couple of Amps there.

Is the generator still working? Usually an overload does not damage it. If it shows "overload" any time you put a load on it there's something wrong with it and it's doubtful it has anything to do with your charging procedure.

Check the gen for proper running, try it again by just introducing the power to AC IN and let the FX do its thing. See what happens.
  • Surfpath
    Options

As in my post, after I hard started in ECO mode, it started again fine, sounded fine. However, after a couple of minutes of FX charging/house loads [note: this time on FULL only], I just saw that red overload indicator light on (that was the first time I noticed it) and the green AC light off. Meaning that it was on, just not kicking out power. Again, full should be able to handle all my loads plus start ups.

I am pretty sure the red light wasn't on the 1st time (power was being produced). Maybe it'll behave at the dealer tomorrow.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Surfpath wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the red light wasn't on the 1st time (power was being produced). Maybe it'll behave at the dealer tomorrow.

They always behave at the dealer's. :p:D
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, I turned back to the Mate. I noticed pretty quickly that the Mate's "AC loads" reading seemed to be fluctuating a little from (say) 1700watts to 1800 watts and then back again. This seemed odd to me when this normally just slowly drops off over time, not surges. However, maybe this was just an incedential observation.

My Mate shows the AC loads, the charging load, and the total of the two which is called "buying". The "AC loads" does NOT include the charging load. You said that your Mate shows the AC loads fluctuating between 1700 and 1800 watts? But I thought you said that the fridge and a 20 watt light were the only AC loads... I've never heard of a 9 cu ft fridge drawing 1700 watts.

Even if your fridge was drawing 1700 watts (and it most certainly is not), your generator could easily handle that plus the charging, and it should be able to do that even in eco mode. From your description I think the problem is the generator and it had nothing to do with your breaker flipping.

btw, does your flexpower system have a bypass switch? If so, by flipping that switch you remove the fx from the system and the generator output bypasses the fx (and its transfer switch) and goes directly to the house loads. If your generator works, and powers the house through the bypass switch, then something is wrong with your fx or the wiring in the flexpower box.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like to me he might have short cycled the Refrigerator and it was trying to start and the overload was kicking it out and that would make a huge draw until it cooled off enough to re-start.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my experience, the dealer probably knows less about the genny than folks here! Especially the gen end. I had a Mitsubishi genny that would go through voltage control boards every few months, at $125 a pop. (not mine, a friends) the dealer simply replaced them without ever addressing what was causing them to puke. I got the genny for $50, and I got ahold of Mitsubishi factory support. It was determined that it was being effected by a DC ground loop from the PV system. After some ranting and raving about thier dealer service, they send me a new control board gratis.

Tony
  • Surfpath
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    The "AC loads" does NOT include the charging load. You said that your Mate shows the AC loads fluctuating between 1700 and 1800 watts? But I thought you said that the fridge and a 20 watt light were the only AC loads... I've never heard of a 9 cu ft fridge drawing 1700 watts.

Even if your fridge was drawing 1700 watts (and it most certainly is not), your generator could easily handle that plus the charging, and it should be able to do that even in eco mode. From your description I think the problem is the generator and it had nothing to do with your breaker flipping.

btw, does your flexpower system have a bypass switch? --vtMaps

Hi Vt. I am pretty sure the 'fluctuating' thing was when I was looking at "AC loads" not 100% sure. Wouldnt it be great to be able to "replay" the Mate and see what exactly happened? My fridge runs 100 watts - after the initial start. Nice to hear you think in ECO mode my big Yammy should have handled the 1500 kw of FX charging plus whatever the fridge initially drew.

Not sure what you mean by a bypass switch. Normal flexpower set up. It has an AC in breaker (ie power from generator to house), and an AC out breaker (ie power From inverter to house). If it helps I can attach an image of the panel with the breakers listed.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Surfpath:

The Flexpower system can have a manual bypass switch in it that connect generator input directly to load output, eliminating the transfer switch in the FX. This is what vtMaps is referring to.

It is sometimes a nice feature because if the batteries are so dead that the FX won't function, neither will the transfer switch and everything remains off: the default is "Inverter" and without DC power the switch will not go to "AC IN".
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    For what it's worth I run my Honda in Eco mode all the time. It is 1600 Watts (derate for elevation makes it less). It has no trouble handling the 'frige turning on with other loads at full charge, because the AC IN and Charge Amps are limited. The only thing that will knock it off is the water pump, the solution for which is to keep that off. But if the pump is already running I can switch to gen power without a glitch.

I keep my generator on eco-throttle mode also. I've practiced it charging the batteries while powering the house. I limit the inverter's charge current to 40 amps. That keeps total load on the generator (on either leg) at 22A or less. The inverter does throttle back the power and handles full charge rate (if the loads allow it), but its not entirely precise and it creates annoying RPM osculation on the generator because 21-22A appears to be right at a RPM change point with the eco-throttle. XW6048 appears to be most efficient charging between 40-50A for both efficiency and power factor (power factor near-max at 45A, efficiency max at 40A), an 40A is entirely sustainable (can do 60A in winter).
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    In my experience, the dealer probably knows less about the genny than folks here! Especially the gen end. I had a Mitsubishi genny that would go through voltage control boards every few months, at $125 a pop. (not mine, a friends) the dealer simply replaced them without ever addressing what was causing them to puke. I got the genny for $50, and I got ahold of Mitsubishi factory support. It was determined that it was being effected by a DC ground loop from the PV system. After some ranting and raving about thier dealer service, they send me a new control board gratis.

Tony

I think the AC and DC grounds are supposed to be separated. Mine is anyway. Twin ground rods (AZ is very dry, a single rod usually is not code compliant for having low enough impedance and they always do two) for the PV and charge controller grounding and equipment grounds. Generator and inverter ground goes to the house ground. The generator also has an equipment ground bond going to its own ground rod, probably because of wiring distance (about 80 feet). The generator does not bond its neutral to its ground wire or the frame.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    The Flexpower system can have a manual bypass switch in it that connect generator input directly to load output, eliminating the transfer switch in the FX. This is what vtMaps is referring to.

Should be: The Flexpower system can have a manual bypass switch in it that connect generator output directly to load, eliminating the transfer switch in the FX.

I always thought that the purpose of the bypass switch was to make it possible to remove (for repair) the fx while leaving the generator hooked up to the loads, but as Cariboocoot points out (something I hadn't thought of):
    It is sometimes a nice feature because if the batteries are so dead that the FX won't function, neither will the transfer switch and everything remains off

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Sounds like to me he might have short cycled the Refrigerator and it was trying to start and the overload was kicking it out and that would make a huge draw until it cooled off enough to re-start.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the OP, but a short cycle should have popped a breaker somewhere and not caused a burning smell in the generator.

Surfpath, Once you get things up and running, you can avoid short fridge cycles by NOT doing all that circuit breaker flipping. As Cariboocoot mentioned (if everything is configured properly) when you start the generator it should seamlessly pick up the loads and begin charging the batteries. When you turn off the generator the fx will seamlessly begin inverting again.

Now, that said, when I draw large sustained loads I start my generator first (because my battery bank, even when fully charged can't handle a sustained draw of 1600 watts). After I start the generator I go to the mate and turn off the inverter function of the fx. The reason I do this is because if the generator faults (or runs out of gas, or whatever) I do NOT want the load to seamlessly switch over to the batteries. When I am done and turn off the generator everything in the house goes dead unless I remember to first turn the fx inverter mode back on. There is no circuit breaker flipping... two button presses on the Mate will turn inverter mode ON or OFF.

Thus:
    1) start generator
    2) turn off inverter mode (not needed when generator is running)
    3) start the big load
    4) turn off the big load
    5) turn on inverter mode
    6) turn off generator

--vtMaps
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Regarding grounding...

My suggestion would be to have the AC and DC ground wires go to the same ground rod and then, if you need more ground rods, put in one or more ground rods, each rod "home run" back to the master rod.

If the systems have some distance between them (i.e., main panel on one side of the home and the DC system on the other side of the home), I would still suggest putting a 6 AWG wire between the AC and DC ground rods. This will allow a short circuit between AC or DC power and any local ground to trip the protective fuses/breakers. Otherwise, you could get issues here a short (for example) between a DC power line and a water pipe would energize the water pipe with DC and not trip the DC Breaker because there was no copper wire connection between the AC ground/Cold Water Pipe (and now gas lines in our region) and the DC Ground rod.

At the very least, "hot grounds" can cause electrolysis and quickly eat out metal pipes, metal structures, etc. in contact with the earth.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Surfpath
    Options

A small update: The generator did not behave well at the dealers. After, ~6 minutes a littl of the same unpleasant smell (burnt chemical, almost burnt plastic). And then after 12 mins the same red light (overload ) came on & the green light (AC power) went off.

The air intake vent where the smell seems the worst (when you turn it off) draws air into what the tech called the "field coil," it's "what the generator uses to make power."

So, no real sun today, no generator. In fact it is so rainy and cloudy and misty that the CC has been in sleep mode for much of the day (max of 30watts from the array at times). I am at 60% (I think - too busy to do an SG, did one last night 80%).

Turned off all loads, fridge.

May have to borrow a little briefcase gen from a relative (Honda 2000) this weekend. Will read the posts above in more detail (before I start that one!).

And my 3 year old fan tailed guppy died this morning. man...
  • BB.
    Options

Sorry, about the guppy... My father used to raise guppies. They were neat fish and pretty hardy with young kids around.

Regarding the generator... Do you have some sort of Current Clamp Meter?

I would take a short extension cord and break out the three or four wires (carefully strip the outer insulation on an SOJ shop cord). And measure the current on the black/red/white/green (if 120/240 VAC connection) and see what currents you are getting.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Surfpath
    Options

Sorry BB,
    Don't have a clamp meter. Just regular multimeter (a good model though). the genny is at the dealer over the weekend waiting for monday and the service manual...
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

off grid, you need to have 2 generators. And I'm considering buying a backup 6048 inverter. Who knows how long it will take to get a spare shipped in.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    The real issue started about 3 minutes later when I noticed (blue) smoke coming from the Genny's exhaust (it's usually pretty smokeless) and a pretty bad plastic-like/chemical smell coming from (I discovered later) somewhere inside the air cooling inlet.

I'm not familiar with that generator. But unless it's a diesel any time you get smoke combined with a burnt smell it usually ain't good when it comes to generators.
    --
    Chris
  • vtmaps
    Options
    The generator did not behave well at the dealers. After, ~6 minutes a littl of the same unpleasant smell (burnt chemical, almost burnt plastic). And then after 12 mins the same red light (overload ) came on & the green light (AC power) went off.

Hi Surfpath, did they diagnose the generator problem? What was wrong? How have you fared without it? --vtMaps
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options

But it's magic smoke !
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • Surfpath
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Hi Surfpath, did they diagnose the generator problem? What was wrong? How have you fared without it? --vtMaps

Hi Vt,
    I have been travelling recently and not on line as often. Also the Generator has been a bit depressing for me. Basically it's been at the dealer for 1 month and they have been unable to diagnose anything. They are actually waiting to have a service manual delivered to them from Japan...I explained to them that an email attachment is probably quicker.:confused:

Its been sitting there so long I told them they need to take out the (VLRA?) starter battery and charge it before that dies.

A bit sad. I wish I was mechanically talented so I could figure it out on my own.

Reviewing the circumstances again it's a little difficult to see how I could have overloaded this pretty big generator, but then again the charger was charged with drawing ~2,300 watts to start with. And it was on eco. I had done this before and everything was ok. This time 'magic smoke.'

Anyway, I have that sick to the stomach feeling that my $4000 generator (which I serviced religiously and papmpered like my first child - ok my second child (the outbackpowerpanel is my first), is in trouble.

If anybody has access to a Yamaha 6300ISE generator service manual (note, not ISDE) .pdf let me know:D

The silver lining is that the sun has been shining solidly and I have not had much need for a genny since the incident.

I will continue to work with the dealer. :p
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options

hi, Surfpath, I feel a lot your wrong problem with the genset, it happened to me as well after two years without rain, mine was broken too when we have more than ten days of continuous rain ... I had (need) not to remove any load, but bring the batteries to the really *word police[-Bill B]* limits, 20%SOC! ...

I live in a really isolated and 4x4 access site, so when it breaks I've always preferred generator disassembly and repair the unit myself that I'd rather not have to move to a place 150kgr, where are a man that scratch his head even more than I, when have a genset problem! ...;-)

I agree with Icarus, here in the forum there are people who know much more of mechanics, electricity and electronics than most dealers who only sell, and when they need repair under warranty, do not even have the service manual and expect to receive paid it from japan ...

but there is a good news, because yamaha (and outback too) is a great manufacturer, (they manufacture pianos!...jejejeje) its mechanical are sober and reliable, well documented, and easy to remove, replace and adjust ... I have had several motorcycles and now I have a yamaha atv (grizzly 660) for 8 years, and prefer to work it myself with patience and repair all ...

with the genset, thanks to the help I received from this forum, especially the expert Cris (mine is diesel), I have come to gain confidence wit it and now both, the genset and me, are a winning team! .... hehehehe, but I keep of my genset only the engine and the alternator, for all control of start, stop, heating and protections i have the deepsea 3110, a specialized module, which makes it much better job that all Chinese electronics that came with the genset ...

and maybe batteries are a paranoia at the end, and mine appears did not suffer too much (not more than one cycle).... or at least, maybe is like a reset off, like if they started a new life and the truth is that they are now more happy than ever! ....maybe can be good to put at -zero-% SOC once a year????...
  • islandguy
    islandguy Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am also running my Honda in eco mode to charge the batteries with no problem. it throttles up to take a load and then gradually will throttle back down.

The main difference is that I set this circuit up to be a battery charger only circuit. Currently i am running a pm3-55 and a smaller inverter/charger for well pump.

For what it worth, here are some things I've worked through:
    - Check your wiring. One circuit I was working on had a nick in the black insulating wire. Not enough to trip anything, but I was getting heavy wattage use on that circuit. It tested out fine with a continuity check. It wasn't until I visually inspected the cable run that I found the nicked wire.

- Maintenance. After burning out three lesser generators the Honda is on a very strict maintenance schedule. Fifty hours max between oil changes and I'm using synthetic.

- Putting battery chargers ahead of 'load' - I set up my small gen circuit like this under the assumption that the chargers would never pull more than the stated amps. The idea being that the generator should never have to surge beyond the stated power. In this way i could match the most fuel efficient generator to charging cycles. While I have a larger diesel for the times when I need to run heavy loads, mostly i am running things of the small Honda.
  • BB.
    Options

From my experience with automotive batteries--They can withstand a discharge to near Zero State of Charge when new.

However, once they get a couple years on them, they seem to almost always fail within days or a week or two after a "near death" experience (it is interesting--the battery works OK for a few days or a week, then without warning refuses to start the car, typically the next morning or going home from work).

For people that don't want a dead battery in their normal day--I suggest a new battery if the battery is more than 1-2 years old and has been taken dead--Too much of a chance of the battery failing again in days/week.

So, for off grid battery systems--I really suggest you never knowingly take your battery bank to zero state of charge--It is really hard on older battery banks (in my humble opinion).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Funny you should say that, Bill; the Corolla just turned up a dead cell! :p

You can charge the battery to 12.7 Volts, leave it sit for two hours, and read 10.8 Volts. Five cells have an SG reading of 1.260 and number six barely makes 1.100. This is a battery that was left unattended too long; I had pulled it from the 4Runner when I put a new one in it just to start this car (which we hardly use but may now). Old battery, left to sit 'til dead, now won't charge. Yet had it been maintained it would still be good.

Hey; not my fault. Months of moving everything and that car was the last to go - low on the priority list. I won't begrudge it an $80 battery. Meanwhile ... start the van! Let's not have a repeat performance! :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

bill,
    as coot and i can verify, such a battery drawn to 0% soc quite a few times at 1-2yrs of age will usually fair well for awhile until it gets colder out. that has always been a game changer and the proof is the number of failed batteries on the first deep freeze. i'm sure aaa would verify this. if in a more temperate climate it could have a bit longer life.
  • BB.
    Options

That is why I said batteries over two years should probably be replaced regardless if taking to near zero SOC.

Obviously here, weather/temperature is not a real problem for most battery failures--Almost never have a hard freeze, and rarely near 100F.

But, I have had lots of people around me with batteries that were cranked dead--But worked fine for a few days, then failed "randomly". I have had a few of mine do that too... That is why I usually just replace the battery because I want the "reliability" rather than the hassles when there is a 50% of battery failure around the next week or so.

-Bill
  • Surfpath
    Options

Quick Update:

My Yamaha genny is still at the dealer. They have been unable to ascertain the problem, far less obtain a service manual to work on it. As soon as I get the chance I am going to take it back and have a bush mechanic look it over.

Here's my immediate concern. Last night there was significant lightning activity in the area. I took the usual precaution of disconnecting my panel array at the PV IN breaker on my flexpower panel. However this morning I forgot to flip the switch back on. So, zero production for the whole day:confused:. In all likelihood I was at ~65% SOC this morning. My 1.3 kwh fridge was probably the only major item left on during the day. Two other 9watt lights were on for 8 hrs.

I am at work till late. But the spouse will be home shortly to turn the fridge off and wait for me to bring home a borrowed 2kw EU20i Honda briefcase genny to charge the bank. From the posts above I can tell that I need to 1) reduce the charging rate on the FX from 10amps (remember, I am 230v) to ~6-7 amps (I think the EU20i maxes out at 8amps).

From my last experience with the Yamaha I will not run any other house loads at the same time. Just saying.

So my proposed charging routine will be as follows:
    • Turn off the "AC OUT" breaker on the Flexpower panel (ie so that no house loads are drawing).
    • Make sure the "AC IN" breaker is turned off & attach the "AC IN" wires to the generator (same as I used for the Yamaha).
    • Make sure ECO is turned off on the Honda
    • Go to the charger control screen no the mate and program in the 6amps charge rate
    • Select generator charger "ON"
    • Start the genny
    • Flip the AC IN breaker so that the FX can pick up the feed and start charging.

I am a little gun shy from my last experience so any help checking this is appreciated.
    S.P.