Can KillaWatt measure instantaneous consumption or only accumulated kWh?

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Can KillaWatt measure instantaneous consumption or only accumulated kWh?

It will show "at the moment" consumption: Volts, Amps, Watts, and Power Factor.
    It can not capture the start-up surge of most motors; the sampling is not fast enough.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    quique wrote: »
    A Kill-A-Watt ONLY gives you instantaneous (Watts) data.
  • redwire
    redwire Registered Users Posts: 5

I found that if you connect a small load, like a 4W night light, it will react faster to surges like a refrigerator compressor starting up and you can get an idea of how much it needs to start up. I take several start up readings over time to get the number. Not perfect but it works.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    A Kill-A-Watt ONLY gives you instantaneous (Watts) data.

At least some of the Kill-a-watt models, such as this one, give you instantaneous figures for amps, volts, frequency, watts, VA and Power Factor. But when switched to the kWh mode they can display accumulated energy (in kWh) since the last reset or even, if you have input the cost per kWh, the accumulated cost and the projected yearly cost.

Some other similar meters start off showing only instaneous watts but switch to kWH (total) display after some period of time.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    At least some of the Kill-a-watt models, such as this one, give you instantaneous figures for amps, volts, frequency, watts, VA and Power Factor. But when switched to the kWh mode they can display accumulated energy (in kWh) since the last reset or even, if you have input the cost per kWh, the accumulated cost and the projected yearly cost.

Some other similar meters start off showing only instaneous watts but switch to kWH (total) display after some period of time.

I think all of them do accumulated watt hours, at least my older model, P4?, does...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Just to be clear--The k-a-w measure cumulative energy use (over time) and displays samples about once per second for voltage/current/PF/VA... They do not do a good job of reading the Peak Current (such as starting surges) that can be just a few cycles long. You need a peak reading/holding meter to do that accurately/repeatably.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »

I stand corrected. I have one but it is still in the package. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

My UPM is better, except for not reading power factor.
    Pity they aren't made anymore.

Anyone else got a different brand of plug-in power meter?
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

From what I have seen using my P4460 is it will record and factor in inrush or start loads, it just needs to be left in circuit for multiple start cycles to display the power over time in the display. Total power consumed should be within the accuracy of the meter. The display won't display the fractional second peak currents as it's refresh rate is too slow. Very happy with results of mine.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I guess they are ok for the money, I replaced the thermo fuse 2-3 times and finally replaced it with a auto reset breaker. It might be rated for 15 amps , but it'll burn out the fuse with 13 amps sustained over and over with a resistive load.