Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: off grid system design
    vanman wrote: »
    my question is does the sb4000tl have a switch for off grid use

does this sound OK for the spec

The SB (SunnyBoy) is NOT an off-grid inverter and will deliver full power only in GTI mode. Except for the units described below, no SB can be used off-grid except in conjunction with a Sunny Island (SI) purely off-grid inverter.

The brand-new 4000TL-US does have a 120 volt 12 amp dedicated output for off-grid use. It can only be energized when the grid detector sees that the grid is gone, and the off-grid output does not appear anywhere except the dedicated single outlet. (Although you could wire it anywhere you want.)

If you have more questions, I have studied it about as well as you can without having one and have attended the SMA web training.

The off-grid outputs from two inverters cannot be combined.

If you do not have successful wind installations already under your belt, read up on it very very carefully before even thinking of buying anything. There are lots of good references in threads here.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

You did say "off-grid system" right?

Sounds more like someone wants a grid-tie system with battery back-up using AC coupling to provide the charging.

Or else someone selected a bunch of equipment at random without figuring out the load requirements first.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Vanman as inetdog says, the SB4200TL is not compatible with the Sunny Island, you can see the full list of compatible sunny boys here: http://files.sma.de/dl/7910/SB-OffGrid-TI-en-32.pdf
    Can't comment on whether the spec suits the requirements, because we don't know what the requirements are. How many kWh are needed per day? Full time use? Summer and winter? Will you be applying for UK FITs (you can apply even for off-grid) ? What's the exact location?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And some more parts in my .sig for you to look at too. Have fun, ASK lots of ?'s before spending a dime.

Skip the wind gear, unless you have to tie your hat on every time you go outside. Otherwise, it's not enough wind.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,