How do i fix an Old rusty inverter

Options
quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
I have a couple of inverters that have been stored in a humid climate for about 2 years. Some parts like cable-terminal connections look rusted.

What if anything can I do to restore them to working order?

Comments

• KnowledgeSponge
    KnowledgeSponge Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: How do i fix an Old rusty inverter

I doubt there is much you really can do.

I think with electronics and long term storage, "prevention" is the "cure".
    You'd need to store stuff like that in a dry cool environment or at the very least sealed in air tight containers / bags with desiccant.

But others might have more. Sry.
  • quique
    quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
    Options

Thx, yes I agree, prevention is key :)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Got any pictures? Salvageability will depend largely on how severe and extensive the corrosion is.

At some point there is a limit between how much time/effort/money you sink into trying to resurrect and old piece of equipment and replacing it with new. Some of that will depend on just what the old one was too: a "no name" MSW inverter isn't worth much effort when you see how inexpensive a new one is.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

have you looked under the covers? if there is a 'bit of rust' on the outside, you never know what the inside looks like?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • redwire
    redwire Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

Did you try cleaning off the terminals? How did that go?

And like "westbranch" said, you want to open it up and see how bad things are inside. A lot of the older inverters use large components instead of surface mount ICs and can stand a little corrosion and are easier to clean. Some have conformal coatings sprayed on to prevent any corrosion.

Generally, you can use pure 100% alcohol to clean a circuit board. You want to spot clean if you can.