Photowhit, it's all your fault......not really

Options
Muskoka
Muskoka Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
Did a re-examination of my options last night with regards to controllers, and the new 1.1 kw of panels I have to install, and on the advice of a forum member here, Photowhit, I'm now the "hopefully proud" owner of a MidNite Classic Lite 150, purchased from NAWS. All my other controllers are Morningstar, I hope these kids get along, I'm sure they will one way or the other.

I'm far too deep money wise into my 12v system to switch (inverters / chargers / 12v equipment) to a higher voltage, but to all the "new" folks getting into off grid solar, go with the highest voltage battery bank / system you can, I know it's been said many times before. A 12v system is so limiting when it comes to optimizing panels to controllers. Things we learn along the way.

Anyways Photowhit, thanks for "pushing" me to have a look (in another thread) at alternatives. I said I wouldn't purchase anything but another Morningstar, but in this case that 96 amp @ 12v rating on the Classic is just what I need, besides it was cheaper than a Tristar MPPT 60, and saves me having to shuffle / move some panels to accommodate controller limits. Still leaves room to add one more panel, which I'll probably do at $.47 per watt.

Glen

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Photowhit, it's all your fault......not really

Now there's some interesting thoughts. I too painted myself into the 12 volt corner, starting small, never dreaming that one day I'd be running the whole house off grid, but here I am.
    That 96 amp @ 12 volt controller sounds like a winner! There may be some confusion between the different controllers, but in the big picture, I doubt there will be any significant problems. Under my circumstances, the Morningstar and the MX-60 seldom think on the same wavelength, but in the end it matters little. They cope with each others moves and it all works out in the end. Hopefully it will be the same in your case.
    Yes, if I had it to do over from scratch - - 24 volts it would be for me! In the meantime, the bloated 12 volt system is handling everything I throw at it.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Photowhit, it's all your fault......not really

Cool! I hope.

I too, wish I had gone with a higher voltage system, I was at 24volt and had purchased a big forklift battery, 800Ah, when I found a heck of a deal on a mobile home and a couple acres of land. (2000 model owned by a neat-nic non-smoker $12K) but it isn't my well made cabin with 6" walls. So 24 volt is minimal. So I have 2 classics and a 4Kw array up, and when the shunt based battery module is introduced I'll add the rest of my array and another CC. This is a single feature that has been long overdue for CCs.

I think the measuring of the actual charging current going into the battery should allow the Classic to work pretty well with other charge controllers as well since it can spy on their added current to the charging.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.