For Fun What would u buy next ?

nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
We have many regular posters here who have from simple small to super big systems, grid off grid .....given we all crave (do we !) new kit what would you buy or want next ?

Lets us try and miss the obvious like 10 kw of panels or a perpetual motion machine

What is next on your list and why ?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: For Fun What would u buy next ?

My thoughts for our home:

1) Solarroofs.com domestic solar hot water (per Solar Guppy)... I probably would pay to put it in, but do the maintenance myself--I don't see my wife waiting for hot water for the week of driving back and forth to the hardware store it would take me to install... Since we have natural gas (yea!), the conversion requires a bit more thought (tankless gas water heater or just solar+gas standard water heater--I have yet to find a tanked condensing 90%+ rated gas water heater for less than $2,700--just for the heater, no installation). And where to put the tank(s)--outside, more room in the garage or outside and build a bump on the outside--...

2) Something like the Zap Zebra would be interesting... The first ones are ugly (think 1940's rounded/bulgy pickup stretched to a car shape). Looks like they have 2008 "Xebra"--hmmm, looks a little better). The old Zebra had a 3 battery bank--For the hills around our area, I would have preferred a 4 battery bank. Wife is always worried about safety--Not sure how she would respond to these guys (helmets for all????). I sized my solar system for these guys--I got about 250kWhrs per month with their name on it... (new dealer about 5 miles from home too).

3) I don't trust the state of California to make sane energy policy--so, perhaps replacing my Grid Tie 3kW with a Xantrex XW grid tie/hybrid system.... But at this time, don't think we will be having blackouts for now... If they force Grid Tie into some really weird real-time billing system, may have to put #3 first...

4) Then, there is the water problem (California growing like crazy--but with fixed fresh water supplies)... Already can pay more for water per month than $4 per gallon gasoline (water will have tripled in the last 1/2 dozen years and the next few years)... Drilling a well in the back yard and running it off of my solar panels is looking a bit more interesting too...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    What is next on your list and why ?

Solar hydronic heating system
    re-model house for less heat gain in summer, savings in winter.
    more PV's
    1 or 2 PEV's that can be used nighttime as battery bank [ NiMh battery packs ]
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a bit futuristic and maybe off topic, but I've always wondered if an off grid system could power a stand alone electrolysis unit producing and storing hydrogen used to heat the house/heat water/supply stove? I'm not an engineer, so I don't have the conceptual skills to know if a system like mine is large enough to efficiently do it.

Obvious storage/delivery/appliance problems related to a new fuel vs existing propane/natural gas. But if ever technolgically/practically available, I'd seriously consider a hydrogen fuel kit.

In the meantime, I am thinking about replacing my 80 gal propane gas water heaters with solar heated units. Have to do some research to find the best system/type. I should have done this when I built my existing system. Mistake, as equipment costs have materially increased.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least 5 acres, prefer 20 acres. I can't do anything until I have land to do it on. I'd like at least 30 acres, so I can ensure that nobody will put up a structure tall enough to affect power generation. I figure that if someone wants to put up a building south of my place that's tall enough to affect power generation, that the land will sell for a fortune, and by then will be so built up that I don't want to be living there anyway.

Once I get the land, I begin it all. Wanting to do a concrete block house, heavily insulated, with a regular brick outside for appearance. I'm thinking ranch style, 3 bedroom, and strong enough that the entire house can serve as a tornado shelter. Going to use oversized blocks, dry stack build, all voids filled with concrete and reinforced with rebar. All hallways will be wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair (just planning for the distant future). The main advantage to this method, is any idiot can build one so I can save a ton on building costs. I'm more than qualified!!!

Plan to use hydronic heat to keep the place warm, by using the sun to heat a large water tank to the tune of 2000 - 3000 gallons. Was set on using a forced air system with a hydronic exchange radiator, but lately been thinking that radiant heat in the floors may be the way to go. Going to use a drainback solar heating setup to keep this water hot, with a wood boiler backup. The water will not have antifreeze, and will be pumped into the collectors every morning when the monitoring system detects sunlight and heat. I'm figuring that I should not have to fire the wood boiler more than a week or two per year.

Plan to use all solar for electricity, as when it's just the wife and I we just don't use much power. When the time comes we'll size things appropriately, but for my initial planning numbers I'm looking at about twelve 150+ watt panels, with enough batteries to keep the place running 3 days with no sun. A backup generator will be available when topping up is necessary. I need no comments on the electrical setup yet as it's still too far out to determine exactly what I'll need.

Also going to dig a root cellar and put up a hobby shop. The wife and I want a garden large enough to fill a root cellar, and as a gearhead I'd just as soon not have all the dirty work done in the house garage.

When I'm done, I should have a house that costs nothing to operate on a monthly basis. Yes, there will be maintenance to do, insurance to pay, but no monthly checks to write and mail to various places. And doing the work myself, no mortgage. I should make enough of my current house to pay for the materials to build the next one outright.

Actually, my next purchase will be a new fridge. Mine is about 14 years old and has a few problems, and is about to be too large. My son's moving out of the house sometime this year, and he's responsible for a full half of my 600 dollar monthly food budget, for a family of 4. Wouldn't think so to look at him as he's 6 foot tall, 150lbs, 31 inch waist, but he's also solid as a danged rock.
  • tim
    tim Registered Users Posts: 20

xw 4548 after all the bugs get worked out with around or over 1000 ah battery bank and solar hot water.

Tim
  • nigtomdaw

Very interesting 5 replies all with solar water heating as at least one forward looking goal.

Any more ?
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Telco,
    Check out Wood's refrig products.. Just replaced my old one with an 18cuft all fridge, rated at .91kwh/day, and it uses only .47kwh/day. THat's pretty good, and it only cost $700...not the $3000 or so for a Sunfrost!

Ralph
  • autoxsteve
    autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

solar powered Idea and innovation to win the Virgin Earth challenge
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

BB,

The solarroofs kit is at most a one day project, even if you want to take a week, the last connection can be to the water heater. Its a single connection, pull the drain, insert the feed/return.

You can use you current heater without any mods, just set the external differential controller for 10-15 deg ( solar circulator ) more than the gas heater thermostat.

So no excuses on this one ... :p
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Perpetual motion,,,water powered generation, burn the hydrogen from my batteries in the wood stove,,dilithium crystal generator??

I have been wracking my brain since I saw the OP and I can't think of anything real. A few more panels, bigger battery bank? All I would do is use more that I don't need. As it is, I get 100% back by noon most every day.

Icarus
  • Telco
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Telco,
    Check out Wood's refrig products.. Just replaced my old one with an 18cuft all fridge, rated at .91kwh/day, and it uses only .47kwh/day. THat's pretty good, and it only cost $700...not the $3000 or so for a Sunfrost!

Ralph

Nah, going with a Kenmore. 18.2 cu ft for a fridge/freezer combo with icemaker for 550 bucks, rated for 388 kwh/year according to the Energy Star guide. Might go a bit smaller than that, since it won't be long till it'll be just me and the wife. Woods primarily sells either fridge only or freezer only units according to their website, except for side by sides which I hate.
  • nigtomdaw

Well I didnt expect the broad answers that we have recieved expected Outback """"
    or Magnum """" or Xantrex """" or Morningstar """""

or even Sanyo or Evergreen """"""

Its ncie to feel that most members are happy with there solar lot and are following new fields of energy efficiency;)
  • BB.

And when a hot day (95F for us--no A/C) rolls around--I think of hacking a hole in the ceiling and installing a whole house fan of some sort--then I worry about the other 9 month of the year if the heat loss (through the fan assembly) will kill me.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    And when a hot day (95F for us--no A/C) rolls around--I think of hacking a hole in the ceiling and installing a whole house fan of some sort--then I worry about the other 9 month of the year if the heat loss (through the fan assembly) will kill me.

-Bill

You have an access hatch in a hall or closet to the attic. I've removed mine, and installed a $6, 20" box fan. Works GREAT, the fan lasts at least 2 and usually 3 seasons.

Photo taken from floor, laying on back, looking straight up
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Telco
    BB. wrote: »

-Bill

If heat loss is a concern, build the fan inside a box that pushes it up into the ceiling a foot higher than the ceiling around it, and build a plug for it that will seal the hole for the winter. With a little effort in the design, it'll look great year round. I'd suggest building the plug so that it has a wood box frame on the bottom, then figure out a method to lock it in place. Some sort of a recessed handle that you turn to move the locking levers would work great. With this, you just stick the plug in the hole when fan season is over, and the ceiling won't lose any heat. Another advantage to this, ever burn a roast? If you burned something in the winter, it wouldn't take 5 seconds to pull the plugs back out and crank up the fan to clear the smoke. Yet another advantage to this, attic fans require that you cut the rafters and box them in to install, with this method there would be no requirement to cut the rafters. Just build the box on top of the rafters, and box in the area between them. Finishing the rafter to look good when the fan is in use would be a bit of a challenge, and I'd suggest a scrubbable paint for it, because it'll be in the airflow and will collect any crap in the air that goes through. The only other issue would be finding a pair of louvers that would fit between the rafters instead of going all the way across. If you couldn't find half-width louvers, you'd still have to box in the rafters, but you can still build it high enough to allow an insulating plug for winter.
  • BB.

I used to do the pop open the attic access hole and put a box fan on top and turn it on in my old home. The new home, I put a folding ladder in and it is not really possible to do the same thing here now.

Also, I have put in a skylight well at the top of my stair well. So, it is not easy to put a hole in and get to the area to do the work (have to balance the ladders on the stairs.

Of course, it does not get near as cold here as it does in your areas--so I probably don't need an insulating plug. We usually only have a week to 2 weeks of very hot weather--so while a whole house fan would be nice--we have not been forced to install one yet.

I may eventually put one in--just thinking about it for now.

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Nigel,

Whatta Fun topic !

My next addition will be a small AC unit for the power room. Thats correct, am going to AC the power room before doing AC for the small cabin ! Being off-grid, have to come up with ways to waste summer daytime energy.

Next might be a window AC unit for the cabin.

Will probably then add an electric water heater. This should work fine on "free electricity" for 9-10 months per year.

Next might try a small Solar collector for Hot Water.

Interesting reading. Enjoy the summer, Keep Cool, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • nigtomdaw

Vic Im with you on using that wasted summer harvest, Ive decided a dishwasher is our next treat for when the sun shines were are wasting the golden stuff by 1 or 2 pm .

Ive still got 1600 watts to put up and Im considering 2 trakker arrays.... have your pics and red rocks led sun followers, but I fear a summer of house building first:cry:
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

id like to finally get that solar hot water system (evacuated tubes supposed to do real well in overcast weather) and switch my tenants hot water to be shared with ours once thats done, add 5-10 more sanyo's to existing solar so i'd be pushed over the net zero for sure, and would have surplus for possible EV charging. i dont think i have the roofspace unless they redo location/mounting the panels installed already, and i defnitely dont have the $ for the monent (getting the wife out of debt), but thats the dream.

and yes: would LOVE to have a remodel done so i have better insulation. itsa a problem.

one thing thats doable: im excited to try out biobricks next yr, local lace has them and a friend tld me they work great, making bricks out of the same material as pellets, exciting thing about this is i could run the small woodstove more with the power using pellet stove off.