Daylight Savings: Longer Days = More Solar

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
If the start of Daylight Savings Time has left you tired after losing an hour of sleep, we have some great news to cheer you up! The start of Daylight Savings Time means that Summre is almost here, which means that we will be seeing increased hours of daylight. This is great news for outdoor [...]The post Daylight Savings: Longer Days = More Solar appeared first on Solar Feeds.

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=PQGHg-4_Yk4:PM5FyXbO7gE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=PQGHg-4_Yk4:PM5FyXbO7gE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
PQGHg-4_Yk4

More...

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Daylight Savings: Longer Days = More Solar

Dang, I was hoping they would say, if I got up 2 hours earlier, there would be even more sunlight !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Uh, everyone does realize that the days get longer and shorter regardless of whether or not people mess with the clocks, don't they?

Time we dropped that affront to Great Canadian Sandford Fleming http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandford_Fleming in the trash bin.

It increases accidents, heart attacks, and aggravation. At 52 Lat it's no use at all!
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

I think there is an argument to be made that (off-grid) pv systems do better on daylight savings time, but this article doesn't mention it and is frankly silly.

The argument I have in mind is that electricity use tends to be higher in the evenings than in the mornings (I know this isn't true for everyone, but it is in our household, and I suspect others). So the panels can offset the evening use a bit more on DST, without the efficiency loss of re-charging the batteries.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Dang, I was hoping they would say, if I got up 2 hours earlier, there would be even more sunlight !

As Coot brought up in passing on another thread: For the grid-tied users on TOU metering, the length of time the panels produce has not changed overnight, but it has shifted by one hour relative to the Peak and Near-Peak rate periods. In a way that probably makes things better for TOU users, but YMMV.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Eric, IIRC there was a study done several years ago on TOU and in the LA area the load skyrocketed when the kids got home from school and cranked on the music and started playing video games, I don't think DST is going to help that Lost Race of Homo sapiens...this in addition to the parents coming home and dinner being made...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada