Can I use a Blue Sea 9003E 350 Amp Battery Switch as an inverter disconnect?

Options
bebey
bebey Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
Good day all!

I have a question regarding being able to disconnect my battery bank from the inverter. I currently have a 48V system, using a Magnum 4400W inverter, and 8 - Trojan 105 batteries. I'm currently learning the system and finding that I need to disconnect the batteries on occasion. I'm looking for a safe way to switch the load off, and was wondering if the Blue Sea 9003E 350 Amp Battery Switch would do the job safely? http://www.solar-electric.com/blseabaswon3.html

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can I use a Blue Sea 9003E 350 Amp Battery Switch as an inverter disconnect?

Before you spend $40-50 on that (and I do think it would do the job) why not look into a breaker panel/DC breaker box?

They come with 125 or 175 Amp breaker (I'm not sure what Magnum recomends) Link to 125Amp DC disconnect.

If that is a little pricey you could also cobble together a Disconnect with their new Panel mount breakers in 90 or 100Amp and a Panel mount Breaker box That would only cost a tad more and be code compliant if someone ever comes out to check on you...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can I use a Blue Sea 9003E 350 Amp Battery Switch as an inverter disconnect?

bebey, I asked this same question on this forum once. The advice back then was pretty much what Photowhit responded. It will work but its not up to code. Are your battery cables in conduit? If so, how will you attach the Blue Sea switch to the conduit?

Even if you are not subject to code enforcement, it may be worthwhile to follow the code.... your insurance company may be able to deny your claims if they find the remains of any non-listed equipment in the fire.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i