Solar phone charger, questions

Options
johnnyfortner
johnnyfortner Registered Users Posts: 2
I completed a solar phone charger and it is not working, please help me.

This is the plan I followed:
ipod-battery-charger-circuit.JPG

Only what I did different, was resistor one and two are both 1-kΩ 1/2-watt, and I did not use a blocking diode.
The panel is 1/2 watt and 6V max output.

Either there is not enough sun during the day anymore or I did something wrong with the resistors.

heres my blurry image of what the back of the board looks like:
546922_10151305379820351_2021076251_n.jpg

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar phone charger, questions
    Only what I did different, was resistor one and two are both 1-kΩ 1/2-watt, and I did not use a blocking diode.
    The panel is 1/2 watt and 6V max output.

Well--changing the ratios of the two resistors will change the regulated output voltage value--As you designed will now be ~2.50 VDC regulated output.
    • Vout=Vref*(1+R2/R1) + Iadj*R2

Generally, you would want R2/R1 ~ 4:1 ratio... and the second term does not really matter much unless you have really really high resistance value of R2.

And what kind of phone are you trying to charge? Older (some/all/none newer) Iphones would not charge with a simple solar charger--They needed some signal/pull up resistor or something before they would charge. (you may need pull up/pull down resistors on the USB data lines--I think--not sure).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnnyfortner
    johnnyfortner Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Yeah, I knew that was the problem. I just wanted to follow the plan exactly and the lady at radio shack was an electronic engineer...

Is this set up possible with one resistor 1kOhm resistor? I have 3 1kohm resistors left, or should I just go get like one 200 ohm and one 800 ohm?
    its a new smart phone, 3.7V battery.
  • BB.
    Options

Just has to be a 4:1 ratio... Too low of resistor value--and they will pass a lot of current (possible overheat/waste energy). Too high of value, the "error" term will start to become significant.

Here is a chart of standard resistance values.... You should probably use 2% accuracy versions (E48) or at least measure the output voltage to ensure you are within USB spec. of 5.00 volts + 0.25 volts.

If you have 5x 1kOhm resistors--One 1kOhm for R2, and 4x 1kOhm in parallel for R1 will work. You should have a ~0.1 uF and ~1.0 uF input/output caps too (stabilize the device).

-Bill "been too many decades--probably blew the 4 parallel resistor problem" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you probably should've gone with the values they presented in the circuit. i'm not sure what the desired output voltage should be as i don't own a cell phone, but the lm317 is able to be varied in its voltage (see potentiometer, or in layman's terms a variable resistor, in some of the schematics in the link) and usually has some capacitors to help stabilize it.

here are more circuits for the lm317. do note the ic needs to have a heat sink or poof, magic smoke.
    http://datasheetreference.com/lm317-datasheet.html
  • BB.
    Options

I guess I should add that USB is rated up to 1 amp @ 5 volts maximum (5 watts). A 1/2 watt panel is going to take a LONG TIME to recharge (10x longer than a "full power" supply).

Also you need to check the specs. on the panel... Is it 6 volts Voc or 6 volts Vmp? Voc=6 volts is really not going to be high enough voltage.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

now that you mention it bill, neither 6v voc or 6v vmp will be enough to power an ic regulator to achieve 5v. with the blocking diode in place that adds another .5v to .75v to be overcome on top of it all. a vmp of 8v or 9v would be better suited, but you won't find such an odd voltage panel. lowest may be the 32 cell pvs they use as car battery maintainers

btw they do make straight forward 5v ic regulators. example is lm7805. no resistors in that. you do need to also pay attention to the max input voltage to the ic as well. more blocking diodes can be used in series to drop more input voltage if it is close to the limit.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I built a simple 5V charger for my Nokia N800 with a 7805 voltage regulator and a 4-5 watt 6 volt panel, I did use a heat sink behind the voltage regulator but it's never gotten too warm. No resistors, no diode. The Nokia is pretty picky on incoming voltage, I had a few different cheap usb outlets that it wouldn't charge on.

PM me your address, if your in the US and I'll send you one of these 6V panels (likely next week unless I get called in today, Thursday is my "going to town" day.

The device, if designed to charge from a USB port, will limit the charge current, as USB ports have a minimum value of .5 amps and have been as much as 2 amps, currently they are shooting for 1 amp as a future minimum (I think)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.