miss match components

hermit
hermit Solar Expert Posts: 25
new to this forum. i`m trying to figure out my best/easiest configuration for my existing miss match of components. i also need help with detailed wiring for this set up(where to install fusing breakers etc). at this point i have only been playing with some charging and inverter load vs battery run times on a tinkering bassis. some components still new in boxes.
my goal is to run an 800sq ft cabin off the system. new cabin built to lock up stage. do i know my final watt/hr consumption,no. i am willing to modify appliance use(10 cuft modified deep freeze for fridge)and heating methods (wood, propane no fan)to stay within a 1000 watt solar array with generator supplementation. hope to keep generator run time to once every three days with a total of 1350ahr battery. do not plan on using any 240vac(nothing in stone and am modifiying thoughts as i go through planning)i live in north east alberta canada.-40c to +40c.plan to use cabin all year.
equipment i have, 12x16 shed to house all equipment and provide mounting for solar panels(want semi porability). 5kw diesel 3600 rpm gen chinese,3kw honda eu3000is,3kw gas chinese,1kw 2 cycle gas chinese(thoughts are to wire in the 5kw,honda 3kw,1kw to provide for heavy 5kw loads, mostly run 3kw honda for efficiency and 1kw for light loads and keep my 3kw chinese for portability.dc generator 5hp gas tied to a 12v gm alternator.12 volt inverters,3kw canadian tire mod sig wave(xantrex),1kw xantrex mod sign wave,300watt mod sign wave(different inverters for different loads.night vs day)solar panels 2x100 watt for 12v system and 4 x15 watt for 12v system.batteries 3x120ah wall mart(for experimental use)4/0 cable to the 3kw inv and 2g to the 1kw inv,4/0 cable between batteries.3x dual throw 30 amp fused switch boxes.xantrex c60 controller. battery charger can tire 2/20/60 w/275 boost 6 or 12v electronic control 120vac.
what i still plan on buying before install is 800watts solar and 12 6v crown 225ah batteries.
how can i hook all this stuff up together 3 gens and 3 inverters or does it make sense to hook up everything together.(switching may be a problem)which components are just not worth including and what should i be adding to the mix? can i run my can tire battery charger off the generators or do i need something else.as far as codes go the cabin will be completly wired ac only and up to code, in the electrical shed i will be the only one operating it and am more leanient but want it to be safe as well. i may not want to run the cabin off solar in the future and may just tie into the grid and use solar for the shop. or may enjoy solar so much and upgrade to xantrex xw series system or comparable and use what i can from my first install.
please give any ideas and thoughts. thanks.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: miss match components

Wow. You have enough stuff there to go to the moon.

Do you have any pure sine wave inverters ?

72V (& 35V) gear is harder to find. Consider 48V or 24V battery bank.

1,000 w of solar is doable for cabin, but maybe low if you want to spend a week, you will likely be fireing up the generators for a hour in the AM. (do a quick Bulk charge, and let solar top it off in the day.)

Thinking about future Grid-Tie, or vague possibility ? It's a major expense if you change your mind, and have to get a G-T inverter, and mothball your other inverter.

Need a battery temperature sensor for your charge controller, that's a wide swing of temperature you will have.

For those cold winter days, a MMPT charge controller will squeeze out more watts into your batteries on the short days.

Just my thoughts. Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Phew... eyes are tired reading about all the choices you have

My 2 cents:

Go MPPT with BTS the difference is dramatic as it really max'es out the input to the bank in the winter. On a -5 C day the batt will get almost 2 volts more.

match the inverters to specific circuits if you can. Do they have idle consumption specs?

Don't know how you could easily hook all 3 up simultaneously..?? I guess it could be done, easier to just manually hook the smaller one up to run the charger for bulk charge in the morning.

read yesterdays posts in this section about using True Sign Wave (re 'peace of mind')

think about 24 v (or higher) vs 12v that are using now, there are efficiencies to consider, though you will need new inverters...or a new CC to handle and down shift the voltage to 12 v.

more thoughts...

HTH
    Cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • hermit

thanks for input.
    i have no true sine wave inverters.(yet)
    battery bank will be ran as a 12v system for initial install.
    battery temp sensor for xantrex c60 controller on order.
    mppt controller a definate thought.
    if i go grid for the cabin it will be grid only with solar backup allthough the xantrex xw series i believe is grid tieable(is this a real word?)
    the reason i have miss matched equipment is that it was all bought at different times for different needs with no thought at the time to run a solar powered cabin. if i was to do it from scratch i would buy better quality and compatable equipment but this is what i have now.
    thanks again.
  • hermit
    westbranch wrote: »
    Phew... eyes are tired reading about all the choices you have

My 2 cents:

Go MPPT with BTS the difference is dramatic as it really max'es out the input to the bank in the winter. On a -5 C day the batt will get almost 2 volts more.

match the inverters to specific circuits if you can. Do they have idle consumption specs?

Don't know how you could easily hook all 3 up simultaneously..?? I guess it could be done, easier to just manually hook the smaller one up to run the charger for bulk charge in the morning.

read yesterdays posts in this section about using True Sign Wave (re 'peace of mind')

think about 24 v (or higher) vs 12v that are using now, there are efficiencies to consider, though you will need new inverters...or a new CC to handle and down shift the voltage to 12 v.

more thoughts...

HTH
    Cheers
    Eric

thanks for input.
    generators will be run 1 at a time depending on load requirements when needed.
    no load current on the 3kw inv is 0.6a(this inverter has a wired remote on/off) the 1kw is 0.3a(manual on/off) the 300w is 0.2a(manual on/off)the inverters will be utilized with load requirements in mind.
    true sinewave and mppt controller and running 24/48v a definite plus but do want to purchase until i get some solar experience and see if its a permanent power alternative for the cabin.
    thanks again for input.
  • hermit

you will have to excuse me if i make some mistakes posting to this forum such as reposting orignal message (not sure how that happened) or if i get some numbers wrong as i am learning as we go.
    thanks.