Getting tied to the Grid

CopperkingCopperking Registered Users Posts: 17
It looks like I may have to upgrade my load Panel to 225 amp or larger. Any lines on some reasonable Panels even larger such that when (not if) I expand I will have the room?
Second I will be using an Outback GVFX3648 with the 48 Batt backup fed into the panel and I figured a 60 amp breaker back fed into the Panel.
The Inverter specs say Continuous AC RMS of 30amps ac
Max output current peak of 70 amps ac
and Max output current RMS of 50 amps ac

Explain this one to me!

There is enough paper work involved with this building permit that I may be further ahead by burning the paper and generating steam Electric.

Comments

  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Getting tied to the Grid
    Copperking wrote: »
    It looks like I may have to upgrade my load Panel to 225 amp or larger. Any lines on some reasonable Panels even larger such that when (not if) I expand I will have the room?

    It is harder to find Service Entrance grade panels between 200 amp and 400 amp. Some 200 amp nominal panels already contain 225 amp rated bus bars, so the effect would be the same.
    If 225 and the 20% rule do not give you enough wiggle room, you can use a line-side-tap to a second panel instead. An electrician will know what this refers to.

    If by "load panel" you really mean a sub-panel to which the PV connection would be added, rather than the Service equipment, then it is a different story.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • CopperkingCopperking Registered Users Posts: 17
    Re: Getting tied to the Grid

    No I Meant the main Panel not a Sub. How can you tell if a 200 amp at say the Big Orange Box store will go 225?
    Is a Line Side Tap something common that the Bld Dept will accept?
    And one of the main reason I may upgrade the current main panel are the Zinsco breakers and the warnings about fires you see everytime you search them. I got 20 of them.
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Getting tied to the Grid
    Copperking wrote: »
    No I Meant the main Panel not a Sub. How can you tell if a 200 amp at say the Big Orange Box store will go 225?
    Is a Line Side Tap something common that the Bld Dept will accept?
    And one of the main reason I may upgrade the current main panel are the Zinsco breakers and the warnings about fires you see everytime you search them. I got 20 of them.

    The only sure way to tell what the bus rating is on a particular panel is to check the manufacturer's data. (Which may be hard on an old panel.) For a new panel, you *should* be able to get that information, probably online.

    A line-side tap is allowed by the National Electrical Code (NEC) and so should be acceptable to any building department unless your state or locality has explicitly (in writing) amended or overridden that section of the code.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunnggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Getting tied to the Grid

    I'll just add that in most jurisdictions you will be required to enlist the services of a licensed electrician, possibly a master, to perform the interconnect.
  • solar_davesolar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Getting tied to the Grid
    ggunn wrote: »
    I'll just add that in most jurisdictions you will be required to enlist the services of a licensed electrician, possibly a master, to perform the interconnect.

    And most utilities require an interconnect agreement.
Sign In or Register to comment.