generator not producing power ,

hi my system has a back up generator ,that suddenly is only producing 2 to 4 volts ,i left the cover open and we had a heavy rainstrom ,all wiring seems to be in place and ok ,its a prmac p1100 10kva genny changed the oil motor runs fine but just not pruducing power at all only 2/4 volts any ideas please thanks in advance ,paul

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: generator not producing power ,

If this is correct, it has a Mecc-ALTE generator end. There is a fuse on some models of the AVR ( Automatic Voltage Regulator ). If it's blown you would have no voltage going to the exciter windings and no output. You need to get your manual out and post what you got so you can figure out the model of the AVR, then you can locate the service manual. I have several and they are all different.

Based on what you posted, I'd say it's good guess it's the problem. A picture would help.

The good and the bad is that most Generator Manufacturers are just assemblers and use parts that someone else makes. Trying to figure out who made it is half the battle, they are good at hiding it so they can charge $1,500 for a $200 part. The good thing is there lot's of knock-off stuff out there.
  • zulupaul
    zulupaul Solar Expert Posts: 26
    If this is correct, it has a Mecc-ALTE generator end. There is a fuse on some models of the AVR ( Automatic Voltage Regulator ). If it's blown you would have no voltage going to the exciter windings and no output. You need to get your manual out and post what you got so you can figure out the model of the AVR, then you can locate the service manual. I have several and they are all different.

Based on what you posted, I'd say it's good guess it's the problem. A picture would help.

The good and the bad is that most Generator Manufacturers are just assemblers and use parts that someone else makes. Trying to figure out who made it is half the battle, they are good at hiding it so they can charge $1,500 for a $200 part. The good thing is there lot's of knock-off stuff out there.

argh .right im not that technical,im actualy in spain,my alternator blew some months ago and i had it rebuildt,would the alternator affect the output of the main unit then ,excuse my ignorance bbut im not that into these things
  • Blackcherry04
    zulupaul wrote: »
    argh .right im not that technical,im actualy in spain,my alternator blew some months ago and i had it rebuildt,would the alternator affect the output of the main unit then ,excuse my ignorance bbut im not that into these things
    Not a doubt it could. If you have some kind of a warranty on it, I'd have them look at it. Then again if you could check the fuse, it might save you.
  • zulupaul

ok,where would the fuse be then ,so the abr on the alternator controls the whole generator even though it works of the fan belt ,im a bit nieve sorry about this stuf

Not a doubt it could. If you have some kind of a warranty on it, I'd have them look at it. Then again if you could check the fuse, it might save you.
  • Blackcherry04

Here is one they use, it is in the control box. There many more models.

MECC ALTE SPA UVR 6, the fuse is in the lower left hand corner ( glass automotive type ). If you feel it's beyond your capability, I wouldn't fool with it.

Attachment not found.

Without knowing what you have it's a guess.
  • zulupaul

hi my genny is is a pramac p11000 ,are u saying on the alternator the fuse may be ,or on the unit that generates the powr ,i cant see any fuse on the power unit

Here is one they use, it is in the control box. There many more models.

MECC ALTE SPA UVR 6, the fuse is in the lower left hand corner ( glass automotive type ). If you feel it's beyond your capability, I wouldn't fool with it.

Attachment not found.

Without knowing what you have it's a guess.
  • Blackcherry04
    hi my genny is is a pramac p11000 ,are u saying on the alternator the fuse may be ,or on the unit that generates the powr ,i cant see any fuse on the power unit
    You have 3 components on a Generator, The Engine, The Generator End and The control Panel / Box . The controls are in the control box. I don't have a clue where it mounted, usually it attached in some way to the generator end (The unit that makes the power ).

Sounds like you need a service guy.
  • zulupaul

basically there are 2 capacitors on the top in the control box which go out to the plugs 3 x240 3 x110 all have trips on them ,this is a video i found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYpMK0E6I0 ,here are some images of the same genny www.google.com/search?q=pramac+p11000&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=33KFUJSkH9HSsgbV0oCwAQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1918&bih=827

You have 3 components on a Generator, The Engine, The Generator End and The control Panel / Box . The controls are in the control box. I don't have a clue where it mounted, usually it attached in some way to the generator end (The unit that makes the power ).

Sounds like you need a service guy.
  • Blackcherry04
    basically there are 2 capacitors on the top in the control box which go out to the plugs 3 x240 3 x110 all have trips on them ,this is a video i found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYpMK0E6I0 ,here are some images of the same genny www.google.com/search?q=pramac+p11000&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=33KFUJSkH9HSsgbV0oCwAQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1918&bih=827
    I saw those, I have no clue what you have. I went by the MECC ALTE service book that the advertisement says your generator uses. You could have a open winding on the exciter stator or 10 other things. I tried to give something easy to check.

Call the service guy, your generator may use something totally different.
  • zulupaul

Hi thanks for all your help,my problem is im in spain ,and dont speak spanish so its a little difficult ,ive a feeling the rain did something to be honest ,im going to strip the cover of it tomorrow and have a good look ,at least if i do have to call service guy yhe thing is accessable for him if nothing else ,what other things do you think it could be , the capacitors are about 2 months old as the voltage was up and down and the invertor wouldnt lock on and the hertz was thru the roof ,the new capitors sorted that ,thanks paul

I saw those, I have no clue what you have. I went by the MECC ALTE service book that the advertisement says your generator uses. You could have a open winding on the exciter stator or 10 other things. I tried to give something easy to check.

Call the service guy, your generator may use something totally different.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi zulupaul,

There is some chance that something is just wet, and unhappy.

If there was a way to circulate gentle heat through the gen Head, and AVR, it could be reversable. A smalish electric heater with a fan might help. THis could take a few days of heating, If the generator was originally enclosed, perhaps reinstalling the enclousre could help retain quite a lot of the heat, but still provide some outside air to allow dehumidification of the guts. A bit of a long-shot, but might be worth a try.

If the generator dees not have a largish enclosure, the above would probably not work. If no largish enclosure, perhaps you could put the genset in a garage, and heat it ... Altho, at 10 Kw, it may well have a large outdoor weather resistant enclosure. Dunno.

I WAS thinking to myself just how good your English was, Paul! Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • zulupaul

hi Vic ,that made me laugh good english ,yep its in a silenced compartment ,so i think ill put a blower in there for a day or so and see how we go ,im learning fast on this solar game ,where abouts are you ,paul

Vic wrote: »
    Hi zulupaul,

There is some chance that something is just wet, and unhappy.

If there was a way to circulate gentle heat through the gen Head, and AVR, it could be reversable. A smalish electric heater with a fan might help. THis could take a few days of heating, If the generator was originally enclosed, perhaps reinstalling the enclousre could help retain quite a lot of the heat, but still provide some outside air to allow dehumidification of the guts. A bit of a long-shot, but might be worth a try.

If the generator dees not have a largish enclosure, the above would probably not work. If no largish enclosure, perhaps you could put the genset in a garage, and heat it ... Altho, at 10 Kw, it may well have a large outdoor weather resistant enclosure. Dunno.

I WAS thinking to myself just how good your English was, Paul! Good Luck, Vic