The Kingtec K25Z-4 Solar Air Conditioner

2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: The Kingtec K25Z-4 Solar Air Conditioner

When you buy yours let us all know how well it works, eh?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

from what i see the a/c units are 48vdc (all i've seen even though 1st video said 1 battery which would indicate 12v) and no inverters involved. the innovative part is the a/c units as this allows bypassing an inverter by running fans and compressors made for dc voltage, but this limits use to one battery voltage. it would be more economical to use it all in a larger system for when excess solar can go to other items when not used for a/c. all of the other components can be pieced together with good success i would think and much cheaper, but for a dedicated a/c system that can be solar operated in a package for something ready made i'd say they did fairly well. if you use the power supply from utility power then you actually hurt the efficiency as a voltage conversion step is introduced. one could add more to the battery and solar capacity to limit the need for utility ac power, but as i said it's better in a much larger setup to limit wasted solar power.
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    When you buy yours let us all know how well it works, eh?
    I would like to be able to. I'm not sure that I'm interested at $3K + 3-~200 watt panels at ~$200-300 each, plus racking, wiring, and misc. materials. Which is why I think if you ditched the battery and the charge controller to get the price down you would have a lot more interest.

I'm not looking to get into a pizzing match with anyone on here, but I found it strange that people who support solar energy could fail to see where this device could be useful. Strange that they would bash a product before it even has been tested by anyone with the need for something like this, while at the same time there is not one other product out there that can do what this can.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I would like to be able to. I'm not sure that I'm interested at $3K + 3-~200 watt panels at ~$200-300 each, plus racking, wiring, and misc. materials. Which is why I think if you ditched the battery and the charge controller to get the price down you would have a lot more interest.

See I totally agree with this. It would open up the market to anyone with an existing 48 Volt off-grid system (no redundant power generation/storage) or anyone looking to build such a system. Otherwise if you've got grid, use it; plenty of AC A/C units available for less money and grid power is notoriously cheaper than off-grid. On the other hand building an off-grid system dedicated to running a conventional A/C is a bit uneconomical to say the least.
    I'm not looking to get into a pizzing match with anyone on here, but I found it strange that people who support solar energy could fail to see where this device could be useful. Strange that they would bash a product before it even has been tested by anyone with the need for something like this, while at the same time there is not one other product out there that can do what this can.

Many of us old guys are steeped in cynicism for years due to learning and experience. Depending on what POV you use to evaluate it, either the product makes sense or it doesn't. As you and I have both pointed out it could have a bigger market if the design was a bit more flexible and could be adapted to more people's needs. The larger the potential market, the more sales, and the lower the price will go. No downside to that business formula. :D
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tex,

Look into AC minisplits, I think some have seer's over 20 and in the $1200-2000 price range, should see real cost savings...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

photowhit,
    from what i see in their a/c lineup they have a minisplit that operates from 48vdc at 18a. eer may be around 37 if i figured it right.

http://kingtecsolar.com/products/solarcoolingsystems-k25ft-4/
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    photowhit,
    from what i see in their a/c lineup they have a minisplit that operates from 48vdc at 18a. eer may be around 37 if i figured it right.

http://kingtecsolar.com/products/solarcoolingsystems-k25ft-4/

Looks like they are claiming EER of 18.8 and a SEER of 22.5

A quick directed search of mini split 26 SEER finds a few different manufacturers...

Sorry Neil, I was looking at the product in title and it's specs, If the mini split becomes a real product I suspect they will have similar numbers, claimed, 18000btu's at 864 watts vs 16000 at 850 watts, and perhaps a price, until then it's vaporware IMHO.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.