Panels breakers tripped...twice

Options
2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Panels breakers tripped...twice

i don't know specifically what breaker popped, but if it pops again isolate the old section and see if the breaker will pop with only the new section connected to the cc.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Something to try since this is an intermittent problem (and we're talking billion-to-one shot here):

Cover one of the panels in one of the new strings with cardboard about midday (full sun, low current demand from batteries/loads) and see if the breaker on that string trips.
  • bbbuddy
    bbbuddy Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Options

Two good ideas, will do...
    Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK I just wanted to toss out, were the breakers, just popped or were they thrown completely to the other side. I have had a neighbor throw one on my breakers before, just want to rule out the odd kid tampering... I like 'Coot's idea as well, it might rule out an over powering from outside sources.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bbbuddy
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    OK I just wanted to toss out, were the breakers, just popped or were they thrown completely to the other side. I have had a neighbor throw one on my breakers before, just want to rule out the odd kid tampering... I like 'Coot's idea as well, it might rule out an over powering from outside sources.

Breakers were popped, no neighbors for 2 miles, nearest kids probably 10 miles...we see a strange car out here maybe 4 times a year, if that..
    Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.
  • bbbuddy
    Options

Well, it hasn't repeated, and we added the last two panels. Two more of the Dupont 100 watt monos that we got froma neighbor who bought them when we got ours and then changed his mind..so we now have 1000 watts in one combiner box, and 1200 in the other. Seems to work just fine!
    That breaker tripping sure is a mystery.