Low voltage on new 12 volt golf cart battery

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
I went into our local NAPA to buy a 12 volt golf cart battery yesterday (Playa Del Carmen, Mexico) I perfer to use the one 12 volt rather than two 6 volts. This is for a outside 2nd system. I took a voltmeter with me to check the voltages and they ranged from 11.9 to 12.1 volts on the shelf. I guess they never keep them charged here in mexico. They had a date stamp of March 2012. Does anyone think there might be problems as the voltage has been allowed to go so low? N.B. the store did say if the SG and voltage did not come up to factory specs they would take it back.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Low voltage on new 12 volt golf cart battery

Could be a problem. But at least they say they'll take them back if they don't come up to snuff. A really good store would charge them there, wait at least a day, and see if they hold. As it is they've been sitting around sulphating for six months.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would avoid them, if I could. 1/2 dead batteries setting for 6 months. Not good.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I would avoid them, of I could. 1/2 dead batteries setting for 6 months. Not good.

-Bill

I'm thinking the batteries were not this low for the full 6 months????
  • Cariboocoot
    simmtron wrote: »
    I'm thinking the batteries were not this low for the full 6 months????

Obviously they didn't start out that way. But in six months time that's where they've got to. About normal for FLA's; roughly 1% per month. Some a bit more so, but I don't imagine they like the warm temperatures in Mexico very much.

Would they order in some new ones for you? That would be better.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Flooded cell are supposed to be recharged (at least) every ~1 month for optimum performance... That is the amount of time it takes for the battery to fall to ~75% state of charge (probably worst case--spec is around 20% per month typical).

Hot weather/batteries will cause them to self discharge faster than those stored in a cold climate/location.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I would avoid them,, look for ones that have been kept on float charge, or have much newer dates. Sitting partially charged will lead to much shorter battery life.

Tony

PS. I don't think most retailers who don't specialize in batteries have a clue about thier and feeding. The worst offenders are RV dealers!

T
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »

PS. I don't think most trailers, who don't specialize in batteries have a clue about thier and feeding. The worst offenders are RV dealers!

Possible translation: I believe that unless they specialize in batteries, most retailers don't have a clue about the care and feeding of batteries. The worst offenders are RV dealers!
    Hahah Sometimes I also post things when I'm half asleep. :D:D:D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Once again, the iPad auto correct strikes again. I am trying to be a better proof reader, but the iPad "learns"! For example, I often write "batteries" so often in other writing I err and mean to write better, and it corrects to battery! Confusing to the reader.

Sorry,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot

Send an Inote to your Ipad: "You are not smarter than me and you are not better at spelling!" :p

There really should be some way to shut that autocorrect nonsense off.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really should be some way to shut that autocorrect nonsense off.

Turning off Ipad auto correct.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.