A cheap solution to an annoying problem

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
The house here is passive solar. Unfortunately the function was not well-thought-out. As a result early morning Summer sun turns the livingroom into an oven. It's been hitting 34C in the shade here of late, which is not doing the A/C or my heart any good.

So I thought about shutters, awnings, window film ... and what did I have on hand that could be used as such.
The answer was ridiculously simple if tatty; a large old poly tarp. There are already hooks up for lights, so ... loosely hung the old tarp to see what the effect would be. Then I went inside to warn the wife. She said the temp dropped immediately in the room and she'd have to put a sweater on.

Now I suppose I shall have to buy a properly sized tarp and cook up a neat installation as the old one is orange and looks rather grubby. The light that filters through it is rather odd too; like a late afternoon thunderstorm (which we have plenty of these days).

Maybe I'll get a green one: "sunglasses" for the front window. :D

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: A cheap solution to an annoying problem

What will happen if the wind kicks up? -vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    vtmaps wrote: »
    What will happen if the wind kicks up? -vtMaps

Funny you should mention that, because it did. Precursor to the most recent T-storm.
    No problem; the tarp rustles a bit. A better install should make it even less of a worry.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

you've gotta post a photo of that. Wish I could do something like that in my HOA!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

try this,
    http://www.shade-cloth-diy.com/awnings/retractable-awnings.shtml
  • Cariboocoot

That's too neat, Niel; I'd lose my Mad Scientist Badge!

The window in question, btw, is 12 feet wide and 5 feet high.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

so??? use aluminum rods across instead.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

While not free, I would think infrared-blocking film would be a better solution. It would help keep the view and not change the interior coloring due to a orange/red/blue/green tarp. Unless the sun itself is overpowering and you need the shade inside.
    http://www.htgsupply.com/Category-IR-Blocker.asp
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Niel beat me too to it! shade cloth, available in different densities, available from farm and garden stores and nurseries. I have used them to shade passive solar sunroom roof glass for years. Grommets and simple hooks withstand 50k winds if. Ou have stretched it tight. It is the same stuff you see stretched over the Ginseng crop in the Kamloops area.

Tony
  • Cariboocoot

I'm glad you guys don't have access to my bank account! :p

If I buy a new tarp, that'd be $10. Ye ken? :D
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've used privacy screening (like the stuff used on baseball fields etc) for this purpose before. Let's some light through, but blocks most, and allows some wind and rain through too.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is some Sunscreen material that blocks @75% of the light. about $20-25 for a 6x15 or 20 foot roll on Ebay.

I have the same problem with a East facing 6x9 set of windows and have been considering the possibilities, including thermal curtains, which I thought you had? or is that Neil or Coot? They aint cheap!

Mine are already tacky mobilehome single panel exterior with single pane inside storm(?) windows. I might well cut triangles out of 2" Blue board and put between the windows, wrapped in aluminum foil, Incase you were thinking Tacky (I'm not familiar with tatty). Any thing to make you look good Tony!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago when I was designing passive solar houses we used a horizontal shade over the window(s).
    It could be a porch or overhung second story.
    In the summer when the sun is high in the sky it would block the sun from the windows.
    But in the winter when the sun is lower the sun could shine in the windows.
  • Cariboocoot
    Ken Marsh wrote: »
    Years ago when I was designing passive solar houses we used a horizontal shade over the window(s).
    It could be a porch or overhung second story.
    In the summer when the sun is high in the sky it would block the sun from the windows.
    But in the winter when the sun is lower the sun could shine in the windows.

Yes, and very sensible it is to plan ahead!

This is a converted rancher, and the window points East. Great for warming the place up on a Winter morning, but the sun rises on the same side in the Summer. The South-facing windows lack protective overhang as well, and need some work. I was thinking of free-standing arbors there.

They had the right idea when they made the changes, just not the necessary experience/information to do it right.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

I had a similarish problem when we moved into our new passive solar cabin in December, except it wasn't the heat that was a problem but the light entering through a window where I had my PC monitor. Couldn't see anything on the screen because of all the backlight, so as a temporary solution I scotch taped a black refuse bag to the inside of the window.
    And of course I wanted to be super energy efficient with the house, so those windows are double glazed, argon filled with a low emission coating on them... 10 minutes after sticking the bag up, there was a loud bang and a 40cm crack down the window :( too much heat build up between the bag and the window.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Here is something I use on my boat . I have tracks it slides into and can put up or take it down in seconds. You can use a bungiee cord to stretch it or some Velcro ties. I sew my own and just buy the cloth in bulk. The percentage is the amount of light it blocks, 50-70 % is what I usually get. The nice thing about it is you can see through it.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/shade-cloth

Custom sewed sizes

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/custom-shade-cloth/shade-cloth

If you get grommets, there are some attachments you buy and screw into your frame with a toggle to attach them.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    10 minutes after sticking the bag up, there was a loud bang and a 40cm crack down the window :( too much heat build up between the bag and the window.

I recently wrote about this phenomenon in a thread about interior storm windows:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=125737#post125737

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you guys don't have access to my bank account! :p

If I buy a new tarp, that'd be $10. Ye ken? :D

Sometimes function and form dicate the more expensive option. To me, a $100 roll of the infrared film would produce a much better permanent result than a $10 tarp. Plus long-term that tarp will only last a few years in direct sun 24/7, so you'll spend another $12 (with inflation) to replace it, then $14...

That said, a large tarp covering something like a camper to keep it cool, makes sense.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Cariboocoot

Fortunately the tarp will not need to be there all the time. And I don't believe I want to block the light and heat when it's needed to warm the house.
    For what that IR film costs I can buy six tarps, and that will more than do me. What the next owner does is his problem.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    And I don't believe I want to block the light and heat when it's needed to warm the house.
    Then there is the automatic system with a very open arbor with plantings on it that lose their leaves in the winter.
    But that is a long-term solution. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »
    Then there is the automatic system with a very open arbor with plantings on it that lose their leaves in the winter.
    But that is a long-term solution. :-)

That is what I have in mind for the South-facing windows.
    This East-facing one is above the front deck, so plantings would be a tad difficult. :p
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    That is what I have in mind for the South-facing windows.
    This East-facing one is above the front deck, so plantings would be a tad difficult. :p

Hydroponics, maybe?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.