Off the grid

Options
lotek
lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
In Dec. I moved into my "swamp house" and have been off the grid since. I dont have a phone line installed yet so I have no DSL. I now go to my daughters house to connect. I have had to run the generator some eve's for an hr. if its too hot. My shurflo pump has had a few loss of suction problems do to air in the line. The good news is all the wiring is correct and I haven't had much more that 20% discharge during the night. Perhaps now that Im a little more settled I can get a chance to catch up on my forums.
Ill update the house pic when I get one.

Xantrex 6048, 12 210W SUN panels, 16 champion 6V golf cart batteries. Reem on demand LP water heater.

Jim.

Comments

• bnlfan
    bnlfan Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options
    Re: Off the grid

I'll be waiting and watching. I do wonder one thing, on the feed back. I wonder if you can install a switch to disconnect the panels when the sun goes down and then reconnect at sun up. I wonder if that would cause problems or not make any difference.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bnlfan wrote: »
    I'll be waiting and watching. I do wonder one thing, on the feed back. I wonder if you can install a switch to disconnect the panels when the sun goes down and then reconnect at sun up. I wonder if that would cause problems or not make any difference.

Unnecessary. The charge controller will prevent the batteries draining back through the panels at night.
    I believe what lotek is referring to is his over-night power usage: 20% DOD between charge periods. That is a good, low amount. :D
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your using an online Email, a cheap way to check Email would be with a Kindle, it has a basic web browser that uses phone data comunication. Slow, B&W graphics if at all, but it does give you the ability to check and answer mail (thumb pad) Only web service I had while snowwed in for 4-5 days. I even posted to a couple forums (really bored)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

the place looks interesting and i'm curious of the finished looks both inside and out. did you have the majority of the living space higher up in case of flooding or is that just coincidental? i probably would not have had it that close to the water due to insects, but i suspect they would be bad even if back farther.
  • lotek
    Options

I posted the wrong pic and couldnt figure out how to remove it. Attachment not found.Attachment not found. My green house, laundry rm, and pantry are under my solar panels. the house is on post to catch more wind and get a better view. There are very few bugs on the front porch. maybe the hight or the way the wind blows them away. When you get into the woods or the swamp you get into the bugs!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

There is a A/A button to the upper left. It switches between a WYSIWYG editor (you see the pictures and bold/italics) and goes to "text mode" where you see the formating codes.

Click the button, and you should see the "links"/codes for the pictures. Just delete the code for the picture(s) you wish to remove.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    Options

lotek,
    just to be sure, are you saying the pic presently in your first post is wrong and that you don't want it there? it is the same house, but seems to be in the latter stages of being built.

funny as the bugs around here don't care of heights or if in the woods or not.
  • lotek
    Options

A little more info, and the other pictures.
    I have a mini split 900 BTU AC unit @ 22 seer. It uses between 1000 and 500W depending on the settings and how hard its working to cool the house. I can run it from 10am untill 6pm without using any battery power. My Reem on demand LP gas water heater uses 10W snd I turn it off after we shower at night, using the wired wall remote. A Vizio 42" LED backlit TV using 60W and Dish box using 40W are turned off at the power strip. The shurflo pump uses 100w and is a weak link in my plan because of the pressure it runs at 45# isnt bad but it dosent turn back on untill
    35# so the water surges a bit. All the lighta are LED or CF. My real power hogs are the standard ceiling fans @ 60w I dont use them much.
    Ive been really impressed with the frig. A Samsung 32" from Lowes is rated at 4A but runs at veriable power and is often using only 60w. Im guessing it has one of those spiral compressors as its never used more than 3A when I check it.
    here are a few more pics.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Lotek,
    Ive been really impressed with the frig. A Samsung 32" from Lowes is rated at 4A but runs at veriable power and is often using only 60w.
    Could you tell me what are the specifications of your 32" Samsung fridge?
    Thanks,
    Erik
  • niel
    Options

lotek,
    you've got a real nice place there and that extra height makes for a better view.

in addition to the specs on the refrig, give the entire model number so there isn't any doubts.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nice,, why we live off grid.

You could bypass the pressure switch on the shurflo and install a P switch on the tank, set for a bit lower turn on which would reduce surging,, or add a second P tank.

Tony
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lotek wrote: »
    The shurflo pump uses 100w and is a weak link in my plan because of the pressure it runs at 45# isnt bad but it dosent turn back on untill
    35# so the water surges a bit.

The conventional approach to that problem is to use a booster pump which is turned on by flow and kept on by flow above a minimum level, then turns off. But in your situation that may not be energy efficient enough. You also add a very small pressure tank on the output of the booster to handle trickle flows which would not keep the pump on, to prevent rapid cycling.

In your case you might be able to get a similar effect by using a flow switch to activate the pump.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • fix_it_guy
    fix_it_guy Solar Expert Posts: 26
    Options

Very nice house Lotek. I really like the porch and the hay loft doors are a very nice touch. My wife and I will be buying our next house next year and I can't wait. Seeing what everyone here has accomplished is really inspiring me. Well done.
  • lotek
    Options

Samsung 32 wide frig. Im sure you can look up all the stats with the model number.
    frig model no. RF217ACPN
    verified CFA energy performance
    115V 60 Hz
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Samsung 32 wide frig
    I also find this links for those who looking for the best efficient refrigerators:
    http://ecovillagegreen.com/5023/the-most-energy-efficient-refrigerator-2012-edition/
    GE seems to have the best ones.
    Erik