adding insulation to external refrigerator

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
Saw this posted on another forum

Attachment not found.

user states 17% energy usage drop.

I think I will give it a try. I've got some extra formica hanging around to even make it look pretty.

Wonder if there is any cost effective way to reduce the heat from the compressor. I was thinking of making a small dryer type vent exhaust to my adjacent laundry room and just keep the door closed to prevent heat from coming back into the air conditioned areas.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: adding insulation to external refrigerator

Some Freezers may have the condenser loop in the skin--So the skin of the cabinet need good air circulation.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for condensation... I have seen water/ice form between outside insulation and skin of fridge/freezer. In an old freezer--that caused insulation to water log and cabinet to rust (many decades ago).

Closed cell foam will help reduce moisture (vs open cell/fiberglass matt/etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

As Bill mentioned, adding insulation to the outside of a fridge will not work with all fridges. IF you're fridge has a system of black coils on the back, that get hot when it's running, then you are possibly OK adding insulation. I say probably, because some fridges still loop part of the condensing loop around the door frame so keep it warm, thus reducing condensation around the door seal. That said, if it doesn't get warm around the door, (not the door itself) and if it has the separate condenser on the back, give closed cell insulation and check power consumption before and after. If it does not have separate condenser coils, and areas of the outside of the cabinet get warm while it's running, do NOT add insulation to the fridge, or freezer.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

THat looks like a Dometic absorption fridge. All t he coils a on the back (if I am correct) insulating the cabinet will make a considerable difference. The other trick is to hang a blanket over the doors to extra seal the door gaps, especially when it is very hot. I have and extra 1 1/2" on the sides, top and front on my Dometics.

Tony

P
    S. ditto on the small chest freezers use the case to cool the box, not a good system IMHO, but they are cheap, and pretty efficient.

T
  • rollandelliott

the coils on my fridge are on the bottom.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    the coils on my fridge are on the bottom.
    Is there a fan down there to drive air through them? If not, they may not be the complete thing. Some fridges have their condenser coils under the skin of the sides and back, then some aux coils underneath to heat and evaporate the water from the defrost cycle, that drips down into a pan above those bottom coils.
    So many different designs, so difficult sometimes to figure it all out.
  • rollandelliott

it has a fan down there to cool down the compressor.. it also has a drip pan. I have sevearl killa watt meters. but need to find them in my storage shed!