Source for cheaper Magnum inverters???

I am not normally one to run around chasing down the cheapest prices, but we're at a point in our system where the final piece we need is an inverter, and they are pricey!

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Magnum inverter at a discounted rate? I am looking at the MS4448PAE 120/240 48v Pure Sine Inverter

Price seems to be $2159 no matter where I look but I have heard from others who've paid closer to $1800. I know Northern Arizona Wind and Sun are offering a free controller and free shipping but so is everyone else.

I am also looking for the matching Midnite solar E-panel to go with this unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Source for cheaper Magnum inverters???

Perhaps you should ask the people who say they paid $1800 for it where they got theirs? That would be the logical thing to do.

You may find they didn't get that exact model, btw.
  • Chris Miller
    Chris Miller Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Perhaps you should ask the people who say they paid $1800 for it where they got theirs? That would be the logical thing to do.

You may find they didn't get that exact model, btw.

I have... most reference sites that are no longer, or coupon codes that don't work. I know someone out there has to be willing to sell these a little above wholesale. From what I understand, the markup on them is quite substantial.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

The MS4448PAE is a relatively new Model, so the price is still up. What they never tell you is they have already discontinued the production on the Model it replaced and they like to give their dealers time to get rid of them at a price and clear their obsolete stock, so you'll see more discounts. My distributor buys them by the 100's at a combo package deal from Magnum at a huge discounted price as a Master distributor. It's like if you take 50 of these for $xx, we'll throw in 10 of these at $XX.

I ordered something from a Dealer in Florida last week, It was shipped from a Pest Control company in Maryland this week, It was a way around a dealer advertized price agreement.
  • Chris Miller

NAWS would be better served to provide the lowest prices, and best service in the industry rather than running their forum like nazis and changing everyones links to point to their own site. Seems counterproductive and silly and consumers will still talk - they just won't do it here. It would show true class to be open, and talk about their competition while being confident that customers will buy from NAWS for the reasons mentioned above. Or just turn the forum over to a natural 3rd party... it's kind of a conflict of interest anyway.

Just my $0.02. We're driving up to say hi tomorrow so I will be sure to mention this in person too. :)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

I have found this a very open forum, it's not unusual to have discussions of outside sites.

It would be understandable if they did, and direct links to products NAWS sells is just rude. The cheapest is often a poor value when you have knowledgable people to help direct you. Have you been to sites where they sell you 24V panels, that can't charge 24V battery bank? Or a MSW inverter that's just as good...

Basically every business has to find a balance between the lowest prices and the best service, I'm surprised NAWS can offer some of the best prices (I'll buy a 1or2, classic 150 or 150 lite from them they are within a couple dollars of the cheapest price) While still offering great service and a wonderful forum.

While I'm at it, If you searched for solar forums 2-3 years ago there were 2 that had a lot of traffic, one had a moderator who claimed to know-it-all, he put out so much bad information I got tired of correcting the "SunGod" and came over here. If you go to that forum now, it's just over run with adds and spam, I guess being shared with other Spammers since no real discussion of solar goes on there. God bless the Moderators (this from someone who can be frustrating for them at times, but has really been treated well here and knows it, I think they know I mean well)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta agree with Photowhit ..

WOW!!

IMHO, if you feel that the Magnum Inverter that you want to buy is not a good value, then why not just move on to a different product -- vote with your wallet.

If these inverters sell poorly at the "everywhere" prices, perhaps the price will come down a bit.

OR, you could just wait out Magnum. Perhaps in three or five years, these will be closed out for a new model.

However, inverters have some materials in them that have become expensive -- metals for example. It is possible that while you are looking around for a real deal one, the prices might just go up a bit.

Personally, think that a reseller that appears to be cutting most every corner is not a reliable company to deal with. Can they afford to give you any service after the sale?? OH, right, you have not yet found the corner-cutters. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Providing links to a retailer who is competition with the company footing the bill is not courteous.
    Like Photowhit said, this is one of the most open forums you will find anywhere. NONE of the moderators are connected to or ruled by NAWS. They really don't tell us how to run the forum and we have no influence over how they run their business.

Comparing me or anyone else on this forum to a Nazi is an offense which can get you suspended, btw. I'm letting it slide because you're new here and haven't really had a chance to see how well this place works.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I am also looking for the matching Midnite solar E-panel to go with this unit.

I believe that NAWS sells the entire midnite line at a good price. BTW, you can buy the Magnum on the midnite panel all prewired with all breakers, bus bars, surge protectors, gfp, etc. Huge savings in time. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Before one spends to much time trashing our forum host, one should realize a number of things.

First, the host does not "run the forum like a nazi". 95% of the moderation is done by volunteers who have no affiliation with NAWS except as a possible customer. NAWS allows lots of latitude about converstions about its business practices and that of its competitors.

I might lso suggest you look at how long they have been in business, and how successful they are,, relative to a potentially cheaper discounter. Cheap price is always an allure, but having service, and especially being able to deal with a company with a track record that is is likely to be around for more than a year or two. In short, in some large measure, you get what you pay for.

On a personal note, I would suggest you temper your complaint about the forum if you continue to use it,, and benefit from its vast resource of information.

With kindest regards,,

Tony
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    I have... most reference sites that are no longer, or coupon codes that don't work.

That says a lot. Having an equipment supplier who can be supportive is a value which you may not appreciate unless/until you really need it. It has proven to me to be well worth some degree of extra cost to support businesses which gives back more than just the lowest prices.

-Alex Aragon
  • Chris Miller

Thanks for the comments on the forum and how its run and I apologize if I offended anyone here.

With regards to the inverter issue - it's not an issue of needing service nor support in this situation. I understand the value in that. I am in business myself and some consider me just a middle man, but I like to think we bring value to our customers, and usually we do. Sometimes people just want to buy because they know what they want and want a deal on it though. We do end up losing some of that business because we cannot compete with the other retailers who do what we do but without service / support.

Anyway.... this is one of those situations for me. I know what I want, don't really need any help with it, and just want to get a deal on it. I've already been contacted by one member who can get me the inverter for $1600. That's him buying it from a distributor, who buys it from Magnum. 2 full layers of reselling going on there and they are both able to make a profit, I get a deal, and everyone is happy.

AWAS on the other hand is asking $2159 and I bet they buy direct from Magnum. That's $559 more than the other guy. I understand they have huge overhead with a building, website, lots of employees, stock, etc. That's why in this particular situation it may be best for me to buy from someone else.

Again - not beating up on AWAS. Just stating that their price is the same as everyone else's, and it's a huge markup over cost.

A reseller cannot bring me any value here. The warranty is with Magnum and any reseller is just going to tell me to go to magnum with any real issues. I see no value in that.
  • Chris Miller
    That says a lot. Having an equipment supplier who can be supportive is a value which you may not appreciate unless/until you really need it. It has proven to me to be well worth some degree of extra cost to support businesses which gives back more than just the lowest prices.

-Alex Aragon

Alex,

When I buy the inverter, hook it up, and everything myself - what value will the reseller provide?

When I then run the inverter for a year, and have some issue with the unit, what value will the reseller provide? I guess they can give me the phone number for Magnum?

I get the argument - I am in sales. I also used to be an installer of electronic equipment. We have to keep preaching the idea that somehow as a middle man, we're providing some huge value to the consumer. It's what keeps us in business, and in some cases it is true. In other cases though, it's not true at all and they gain nothing by simply buying an item from us that they intend to install themselves. At that point we're just taking an order. Money and product change hands, but services and value do not.
  • SolaRevolution
    Alex,

When I buy the inverter, hook it up, and everything myself - what value will the reseller provide?

When I then run the inverter for a year, and have some issue with the unit, what value will the reseller provide? I guess they can give me the phone number for Magnum?

Not to speak specifically of Magnum here;
    -who will give you a straight answer when you ask how well a specific product seems to do in the field?
    -who can provide help with getting service from someone who really knows the equipment when a manufacturer has just purged their tecnical staff while going through an ownership transition?

I've seen situations where customers have gotten the run around from manufacturers who would not dare to mess with an established distributor.
    I've had manufacturers who would not speak to how their products would interact with other products and was able to find someone to talk to from the recommendation of a retailer.

As I said - Having an equipment supplier who can be supportive is a value which you may not appreciate unless/until you really need it.
    I have also managed to negotiate with resalers over posted prices.

Just my experience in the solar industry. I suppose you have access to many of these benefits right here on this forum whether you support the host or not. It's probably some of my "hippie karma crap" too.
    :roll:

-Alex Aragon
  • SolaRevolution

Oh yeah,

I also know someone who got their receipt records for insurance from their reseller after they lost everything in a fire.

-Alex
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Chris,

I would argue that a retailer can bring you value,, even it you don't see it. What happens if the unit is defective? Will you be able to get easy warrantee/exchange service for example? Will the discounter have inventory to quickly replace a defective unit?

There is more to value than price. Don't want to by from NAWS, fine, but to argue that they don't bring value is disengenious. Everyone is free to make thier own calculations as to what is valuable. The mere fact that NWAS sponsors this remarkable site is one aspect of value added, even though it may not be reflected in your opinion.

Tony

Tony
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I have two Magnum inverters. I bought one from NAWS and one off the internet at a considerable savings.

The internet unit shipped in the original box marked clearly "not for shipping". That unit banged around inside the box and was severly dented on two sides. I mentioned it in my "feedback" and they said if I wanted to complain, they'd put in a claim with UPS. I said that since the box was CLEARLY marked "not for shipping" I doubted much of a claim could be made with the carrier. I heard nothing more.

I've ordered most of my system from NAWS over the years. The only problems I had were with a pair of ProSine inverters that were ordered at separate times: I wanted the one with a duplex plug, but got the one that's hardwired (apologies from NAWS, blaming it on the warehouse that actually shipped it). When I ordered the second one, I wanted it to directly replace the first in case of emergency but it would normally be installed in our RV. I said I wanted the hard-wired one. Got the duplex plug model. Same apologies, and an offer to replace that I declined. I can make either model work in either application without too much trouble.

Chris, FWIW be sure and get the remote! These Magnum inverters have NO controls without it, other than "on-off".

Phil
  • Chris Miller

Thanks for all of the help guys.

We ended up with that setup from a local shop. He did great on price, and I was ok with helping a local place that could use the business. Plus he helped me set it all up.

Thanks again!
  • Sandy
    Sandy Registered Users Posts: 5

There are a lot of mobile applications for Magnum - RVs especially, and boats and work/emergency vehicles, and the outlets for them will often discount. They lean more toward the 12V systems, but will often have, or can get, the 24V and 48V units. Don't expect them to help you much with off-grid, but they usually know their stuff when it comes to RVs and boats. They can't post their prices, but try putting one in your cart, or just give a call and see if they'll discount. They usually will, sometimes by a lot. My brother in law picked up a 2812 for a few hundred off, I don't recall exactly, but a significant amount.