Wiring for my cabin?? Outside from panels to the 'wall'..

I have a small 12x24 shed/cabin.. in way South Texas.

I have/will have 6 panels outside mounted on some cinderblocks anchored with concrete to the ground.. I get 1-2" snow per year..

I have 150' of PV/USE-2/XLPE/600V UV/Sunlight Resistant rated wire 90C wet or dry..

I plan on bringing the wire runs into the cabin and thru the 3/8" plywood type wall to my QO combiner box (indoor rated) with breakers..

Can I just bury (about 6" below ground) the more exposed sections of wire till I get to the wall.. then just route them thru a basic outdoor rated gang box to make the jump to the inside??

That was the reason for buying the above type wire..

I don't think I would need any type of conduit on this, do I??

And if so can that gray (looks like PVC) be ok to use?? I'm thinking yes..

The panels are NOT roof mounted so I don't know if that matters (or not)??

Anyone done this have some simple pics to show how they did theirs??

Comments

• Caneman
    Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wiring for my cabin?? Outside from panels to the 'wall'..

are you running 150' from the pv to the combiner box? i thought the combiner box needed to be as close the pv as possible...
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

No.. max is 15 feet of wire for EACH panel (rated at 8.05 IMP) using the 10 AWG PV wire mentioned in my OP..

I bought 150' of the wire to make custom 'runs'..

3 panels at 11 feet from rear wall (OAL run of 15')
    3 panels at 6 feet from rear wall (OAL run of 10')

These measurements includes the 4' length of wire to climb UP the wall once inside the building..
  • ywhic

Anyone?? :confused:
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

you're off grid and there are no code zombies that can say anything, so why not? If you want to make sure, I'd run it through some conduit for added peace of mind, that stuff is so cheap I'd do it just to make sure.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

As I understand, the "standard" it to bury power lines at least 18" deep... And if you have animals in the area that like to chew, using metal conduit/boxes above ground is probably not a bad idea.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

Unless it is direct burial wire, as you did not state. Then yes, install the wire inside PVC tubing. I don't know about there in W. Texas, but here in Az., the little gophers will chew through anything that's not protected. My underground telephone wire proved as such. Put it in PVC. Forgot to add....that when you finish your setup, take a break. Go to Sooky's Bar in Van Horn and have a few beers. Make sure you know just a little Spanish too.
  • ywhic
    Jim45D wrote: »
    Unless it is direct burial wire, as you did not state. Then yes, install the wire inside PVC tubing. I don't know about there in W. Texas, but here in Az., the little gophers will chew through anything that's not protected. My underground telephone wire proved as such. Put it in PVC. Forgot to add....that when you finish your setup, take a break. Go to Sooky's Bar in Van Horn and have a few beers. Make sure you know just a little Spanish too.

Says direct burial as well according to the mfg..

Gonna use something I guess for the underground part just for added assurance..

I know enough to order a servasa and goto the banyo. (and yes I know the spelling is wrong).. :cool:

I just kept reading something about conduit thru the wall if going inside.. yada yada..

Any suggestions on how to get it THRU the wall?? figure I have 6 pairs of 10 AWG 6mm OD wire..
  • Jim45D

That's all the Spanish you need to know there.......good! On the wiring, use a metal box at the wall penetration. You'll be OK.
  • ywhic
    Jim45D wrote: »
    That's all the Spanish you need to know there.......good! On the wiring, use a metal box at the wall penetration. You'll be OK.

Have any specific suggestions on that?? I would think a double gang would be ok size wize..

I would guess a rear knockout would be needed also.. (as you can tell I am clueless)..
  • Jim45D

If you're going to bury a portion of the wiring in PVC or whatever to the cabin.....what I would do is use a elbow of the same material, (PVC) come up from beneath the depth of burial into the bottom, exiting via the back of a metal gang box. The box, itself will hide any outside blemishes. There drill, dremel-tool, chisel, and go through the wall as neatly as possible, insert another piece of PVC into the cabin wall, attached to the metal box. Seal around the box with a good quality caulk. From that point on it's strictly cosmetic appearance inside according to your liking. I'd use the same size wire I ran underground to do the thru wall insertion. Inside you can go up the wall, or insert a receptacle box and make your run from there to wherever you're connecting to. The wiring can be hidden between furring strips, and covered.

Don't worry about being clueless. If you've never done it before....then you've never done it before. Simply strive, attempt to make things as neat as possible.
  • ywhic

Maybe something like this in 1 1/2" or 2" flavor.. come up from the bottom and then in thru the wall??

Attachment not found.

Got to remember I have 6 pairs of 6mm OD wire.. so a 1/2" or 3/4" hole/knockout isn't going to work.. (I don't think)..

ETA: found plastic Carlon 1 1/2" version for under $6 at HD website. :cool:
  • Jim45D

There's nothing wrong with using that setup. Just make sure it is well stabilized. Is it metal? No, a 1 1/2" or 2" diameter won't work. If the wires are as you say....then, that's roughly 2.8" in diameter that you presently have. You will need 3". The simple remedy is to use two, side by side, and split the pairs in half. At that rate, you're going to have to use 3" PVC for all, or run seperate PVC's. From the output of the PVC you will need a reducer. Two of them to fit their respective boxes. Wrong Info.......please delete.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭

OK, First, Al's pic just above is a Rigid SLB fitting (metal)

Believe that the wire that Al is using is 6 sq MM, about #10 Ga AWG which is about 0.250" OD, depending on the exact wire.

I do not have my NEC Bible here, but, technically, the wire should not exceed the recommended maximum fill for the conduit used. Will poke around on the net, as time premits to see what I can find, altho I seldom do Metric.
    Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Jim45D

Neither do I use mm Vic. I just calculated out what he said he has. That was 6 pair of 6 mm wire, (72mm). Equating to roughly 2.8" of diameter for the whole bundle of wires together. HOLD ON!! Alex and Vic I stand to be corrected....I was sorely mistaken. I get these darn pairs mixed up with other stuff. It would be 36mm bundeled together, equating to 1.4" dia. Yes Al, the 1.5" SLB fitting would work, unless you are worried about NEC, and the over-crowding of wire within the PVC or fittings. I will now chastise myself the rest of the week, and have some more toddy's!
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

"USE-2"
    USE = Underground Service Entrance.
    The "2" means it is listed for 90° C.

Bury it at least 18", or if it goes under a road or driveway 24". Where it comes out of the ground, sleeve it in pvc.

Voilà! NEC compliant!

Back fill gently. (With sand if you have it.)

-Alex Aragon
  • ywhic

Decided 1 1/2" PVC up the wall to a PVC entrace box (like the above).. couple of 1 1/2" PVC straps to fasten to the wall..

If I go with 24v system I'll only have 3 sets of wire and not 6 initially.. so they will be some extra room in the TUBE..

I may throw a 10' section of PVC under the ground also.. and do a 90 deg to come up to meet the above..

Thanks for the reply folks..