Trace Engineering sw4024 inverter won't turn on!

Options
mr1972strat
mr1972strat Registered Users Posts: 2
Just inherited a used solar system. I think it's about 9 years old. It's been sitting idle I think, and I'm not sure if it works. The batteries and the panels are not hooked up to the inverter yet. Its a Trace Engineeering sw4024. I temporarily hooked up power from the grid to see if the onboard display worked, but I got nothing. Does this inverter need to see the other systems (solar panels, batteries) hooked up to turn on? I'm an electrician
so I did the obvious and checked incoming voltage and everythin looks good. When it comes to solar, I'm a rookie. Could someone help please?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Trace Engineering sw4024 inverter won't turn on!

Welcome to the forum.

That's the hard rule of battery-based inverters: no batteries, no function.

The Trace SW4024 is also a pretty old design. Even if you do hook up the batteries it may not work, or it may soon fail. They were good in their day, but that day has passed. It is very difficult to get them repaired these days. Just warning you in advance so you won't get your hopes up.

Get 24 Volts worth of battery, connect it up, and see if it flies. :D
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

The inverter needs to see battery voltage to turn on. You could hook up two car batteries in series to test it out but dont put any large loads on it because you will draw the batteries down pretty quickly. Once powered up it should see line voltage and will try to charge the batteries. The existing batteries that are not hooked up are probably toast. First because they are at least nine years old and second because they probably have not seen a charge in a long time and have self discharged to zero and will not come back. Good luck I hope it powers up for you
    Ned
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

SW series requires battery power. All the internal electronics runs from the battery. Just applying AC will not run anything on unit.

All user modifications to the default settings are lost if battery supply is interrupted. SWplus units have non-volatile memory to save user settings.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Many inverters need DC battery power connected first before they wake up.

Check that the battery bank has a charge of, at least, 24 volts then connect to the charge controllers and inverters.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mr1972strat
    mr1972strat Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Many inverters need DC battery power connected first before they wake up.

Check that the battery bank has a charge of, at least, 24 volts then connect to the charge controllers and inverters.
    -Bill

Should I hook up temporary batteries to wake it up, then hook up the solar panels to charge the old batteries? I don't have a 60 amp single pole circuit available to charge the old batteries with grid power.

P.S. I think the batteries might be ok because they were used for emergency power only and probably not cycled a lot. They read about half voltage of what they should.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

If they are under 23 volts, probably are scrap. If stored under 25 volts for months, also probably scrap too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

At 1/2 the voltage, I would be surprise if they re not scrap. Water them wel, read the following and hope fl the best:

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Good luck, and welcome. To the forum,

Tony