Interesting old panel. Solar Power Corporation G 261 (Exxon)

SolaRevolution
SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
Solar Power Corporation, Woburn Massachusetts.
"Solar Power Generator" Model NO. G 261
4 volt, hand soldered, two strings of 13 cells.

I was unable to find a power rating.
A search on line told me this company was a subsidiary of Exxon back in 1975.

I was doing a system upgrade for a guy here in Mendocino County, CA. He had me change out a Trace DR system for an SW. (Replace a 17 year old inverter for a 13 year old one.) We got to talking about old equipment and he mentioned some old panels he has in the shed. He seems to think he bought them used around '82-'83. He originally had three (for 12volts) but one burned out years ago. This and its mate have been put away ever since.

Anyone know anything else about them?

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Alex Aragon

Comments

• droulersp
    droulersp Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    I have worked for SAHEL a french subsidiary of SOLAR POWER CORPORATION which was based in Woburn Massuchetts
    I can check for you the characteristic of your panel
    Thank you
    Patrick 

PS SPC made a 100kw array in 1980 for Beverly University Massachusetts still working
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017 #3
    Here's another of their modules. It has a rubbery surface to it, no glass Any info you can get would be appreciated.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• oraclebob
    oraclebob Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2020 #4

Hi 
    Just a note of possible interest.
    The above two photos show a PV array that has been in use on my property for an estimated 40 years, initially as a power supply for a radio comms unit on a Fire Tower used by the County Fire Authority. However with advances in Fire Detection Systems the Fire Tower was made redundant and removed Approx. 20 years ago. Since then we have been using the panels to drive 2 Electric Fence Units for stock control. We are located in Mirboo North, South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia.
    Came across this site when researching Solar Power Corporation and thought that it may be of some interest to some of your members
    They obviously made a good Solar panel, as these panels have been sitting in the Australian Hail,Rain,Snow and 44 deg c for 40 years.
    Regards 
    oraclebob
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Neat old panel OracleBob!

And welcome to the forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OracleBob!, Thanks for taking the time to make and post these cool photos.  Funny, it seems they pretty much "got it right" when it came to making solar panels all those decades ago. Great to see these panels still in service. They look to be in great condition, still.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.