Please check my Morning Star MPPT 60 settings

Hi would you experts please check the settings on my Morningstar MPPT 60 using MSview software? Some of this stuff has made my head spin…

My system:
6- 235W PV panels wired in 2 parallel strings (3 panels in each string)
Each Panel: Vpm= 30.10, Ipm=7.81, Voc=36.90, Isc=8.31
4- PVX-3050T Sun Xtender AGM 305AH 6v batteries wired in series to make a 24V bank @ 305Ah
-Morningstar MPPT60 Charge Controller (custom settings using MSview)
-Magnum Energy MS4024PAE inverter with ME-BMK and ME-ARC

These are my MPPT60 settings:
Absorption Voltage = 28.6V
Absorption Time = 2 hours
Absorption Extension Voltage = 24.4V
Absorption Extension Time = 30 min
Battery Temperature Compensation = -0.049V/degC
Maximum Compensation Temp = 40 degC
Minimum Compensation Temp = -1 degC
Float Voltage = 26.6V
Float Timeout = 30 min
Float Cancel Voltage = 24.4V
Equalize Voltage = off
Equalize Time = off
Auto Equalize Interval = off
Equalize Timeout = off
High Voltage Disconnect =31.8V
High Voltage Reconnect =28.0V
Max. Regulation Limit = 30.8V
Battery Current Limit = None
Battery Service Reminder = Off
Enable Fixed Array Voltage Target = off

Do these settings look right? I guessed on some of them so I wanted you guys to check them. Please check ALL of my settings above and then confirm my guesses listed below.

One of my many guesses was the Absorbtion time...
The battery manual states:
“The battery is fully charged when the current drops below 0.5% of the batteries rated capacity (0.5A for a 100Ah battery).”
So my 305Ah system would need to drop below 1.5A.

The battery manual also states:
“Time to Reach Full Charge = [(DOD/100) X Rated Capacity (Ah) /Rated output of charger (amp)] + 2 hours.
Note that this formula is approximate and the full charge state should be verified using the criteria given above (current drops below 0.5% of rated capacity).”
Since there is no minimum Current setting for Absorbtion, I guessed that the 2 hours in this formula is the Absorbtion time that I should use.

Another guess was: The places were I used 24.4V in the settings... I guessed that those settings sould be set to 50% DOD which is 24.4V

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Re: Please check my Morning Star MPPT 60 settings

No MSView experts out there? :cry:
    I would like to verify these settings so I don't ruin my Batteries.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I don't use a Morningstar controller or its MSView obviously, but the numbers look right to me.

Come on; I know some of you out there have very similar set-ups! Give him the word. :D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a MS that I've had to tweak extensively, but it's set up for a 42 cell NiFe bank, with a wide range.

So, how did you get the data listing, I've not found a way to get that output.

And all the programming happens at "12" v, and then you tell the system to multiply by 2 or 4, to get the 24 or 48V readings. Works, but I had to build a spreasheet to make mine work.

Maybe tell us what defaults you changed, and why ? Then we could zero in on them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

I have the MS, but it's programmed for a flooded battery so my settings won't be of any use to you. From a quick look at yours:

These 2 values should be different. One allows a configurable extension of the absorb time should the batts dip below the configured voltage. The other one completely cancels the float mode for the next day of charging, i.e. it runs absorb the whole day. You probably only want that last one if the batts are REALLY deeply discharged. Again, can't advise as to specific settings 'cause I don't know anything about AGMs :)
  • Coach Dad
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I've got a MS that I've had to tweak extensively, but it's set up for a 42 cell NiFe bank, with a wide range.

So, how did you get the data listing, I've not found a way to get that output.

And all the programming happens at "12" v, and then you tell the system to multiply by 2 or 4, to get the 24 or 48V readings. Works, but I had to build a spreasheet to make mine work.

Maybe tell us what defaults you changed, and why ? Then we could zero in on them.

I didn't get it to output... I typed it all in. AND I multiplied it all be 2..
  • Coach Dad
    stephendv wrote: »
    I have the MS, but it's programmed for a flooded battery so my settings won't be of any use to you. From a quick look at yours:

These 2 values should be different. One allows a configurable extension of the absorb time should the batts dip below the configured voltage. The other one completely cancels the float mode for the next day of charging, i.e. it runs absorb the whole day. You probably only want that last one if the batts are REALLY deeply discharged. Again, can't advise as to specific settings 'cause I don't know anything about AGMs :)

The 24.4 Volts in both of these is my 50%DOD voltage... I guessed at when to use these 2 settings,,, so I figured that when I hit 50% DOD I should Absorb longer and skip the next Float cycle... Would you recommend a different threshold? Perhaps 75%?
  • Coach Dad

Ok... Here are the AGM battery defaults and the logic that I used for changes
    Absorption Voltage = 28.6V Default = 28.8V
    (from battery manual I’m sure this is ok)

Absorption Time = 2 hours Default = 1.0 hr
    (This was a guess. The battery manual says to Absorb until the current drops below 0.5%. And the manual says that you can estimate the charge time with the following formula: “Time to Reach Full Charge = [(DOD/100) X Rated Capacity (Ah) /Rated output of charger (amp)] + 2 hours. Since there is no minimum Current setting for Absorbtion, I guessed that the 2 hours in this formula is the Absorbtion time that I should use.

Absorption Extension Voltage = 24.4V Default = 25V
    (This was a shot in the dark.. I estimated that I should do a longer absorbtion if I drop to 50% DOD so I used the 50% voltage which is 24.4V)

Absorption Extension Time = 30 min Default = 2hrs
    (Shot in the dark)

Battery Temperature Compensation = -0.049V/degC Default = -0.060
    (from Concord website this should be ok)

(from web site: This is for battery temperature (not ambient temperature) and is useful for battery temperatures from 0° C to 40° C)

(the web site said 0 to 40 but the MSView required a negative num so I used -1)

Float Voltage = 26.6V
    (from battery manual)

Float Timeout = 30 min
    (this was default)

Float Cancel Voltage = 24.4V Default = 25V
    (This was a shot in the dark.. I estimated that I should do a longer absorbtion if I drop to 50% DOD so I used the 50% voltage which is 24.4V)

Equalize Voltage = off
    (I’m going to do manual equalize when needed)

Equalize Time = off

Auto Equalize Interval = off

Equalize Timeout = off

High Voltage Disconnect =31.8V Default = 31V
    (This was the Eq voltage for these batteries.. So I thought it is best not to exceed that)

(This was default)

Max. Regulation Limit = 30.8V Default = 31V
    Best guess no logic
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Coach Dad wrote: »
    Another guess was: The places were I used 24.4V in the settings... I guessed that those settings sould be set to 50% DOD which is 24.4V
    You should re-think this. This is very dependant on your usage. While 24.4 may be +/-50% DOD for "resting" battery, a "Full" battery can be pulled below 24.4 with a fairly small load. My concern is that with your settings, your batteries could be getting too much time at absorb voltage when they have not been very deeply discharged. It is equally important to be sure you are getting an adequate charge. You should either set-up a way to log the charging curve from the Tristar data or use your battery monitor (amps and volts) to watch the charging curve a few times to check whether your absorb time is really bringing the batteries to the "finish amps" while still at absorb voltage. (1.5amps for 300Ah. That is pretty low, but it's what the mfgr recommends.) Any particular load will pull the battery voltage down to different levels based on how deeply discharged the batteries are. Logging the low voltage of you system during your "normal usage" can give you a better sense of how low your voltage will get at different DODs.

Just a few suggestions:

-I saw a note in the Sun Xtender manual saying Temp comp should be set at .040v/degC. (you have .049, Not a big discrepancy)

-You should probably set the "Float Cancel Voltage" lower. Depending on power usage, the setting of 24.4v will cause the batteries to get an extended Absorption charge even with shallow cycling. From the Tristar MPPT manual: (Re: Float Cancel Voltage) "Float stage is canceled for the next charging cycle. This allows the battery to remain in Absorption charging longer and to recover from the deep discharge it has experienced."

-You may want to lower the "Absorb Extension Voltage" for the same reason. If this is daily-use system you should set the "AEV" to a voltage which would reflect 50% DOD with your typical usage.

-If you set the "AEV" lower you could lengthen the "Absorb Extension Time" . The battery manual suggests an additional 2 hrs (4hrs total) of absorb for a battery at a 50% DOD.

-If this system is for an occasional use cabin you should probably ensure that they are not getting a full 2 hr absorb charge every day. I couldn't find any reference to this in the battery manual. You may want to contact the battery manufacturer's tec support for recommendations on this. If lower absorbtion times are recommended for batteries which are not being cycled very often, you may want to decrease the regular absorb time and keep the "Absorb Extension Voltage" at 24.4 and set "Absorb Extension Time" for 2-3 hrs to provide adequate charging when you are cycling the batteries.

-If the system is a grid-tie back-up the batteries will be at the inverter's "sell voltage" during the day and "resting" at night, and so the Charge Controller would not bring the batteries up to absorb voltage everyday.

Alex Aragon
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

That's not a recommended procedure for AGM's. Since you can't actually check the SG per cell, you have no way of knowing if they are out of balance or if/when they are back in balance.

"Default" charge settings for 24 Volt AGM system (interpret as you will):
    Absorb Voltage: 28.4, or as per battery spec
    Absorb Time: equal to Bulk time, or as per battery spec
    Absorb End Amps: not recommended, or as per battery spec (in this case 1.5 Amps)
    Float Voltage: 25.4 to 27.2, or as per battery spec

(Many of the parameters used on Xantrex controllers are not common across the board for other controllers.)

Note the repeated phrase of "as per battery spec". Nothing beats knowing what the battery manufacturer recommends for the particular model you have.

And this is yet another example of why FLA's make a better choice for "first time" batteries; they are much more tolerant of "mistakes" than AGM's and you can keep an eye on the inside to know what's really going on.
  • Coach Dad

My thanks to all who responded to my questions… This forum IS THE BEST!!!!!

I also sent this question to the customer service department at Concorde Battery and received their recommendations this morning.

I’ll post them here for the benefit of someone else who is setting up a similar system.

These are the settings that Concorde Battery Customer Service recommends:
    Tri-Star MPPT60 MSVIEW settings:
    Absorption Extension Voltage = 28.6V
    Float Voltage = 26.6V
    Float Timeout = 30 min
    Float Cancel Voltage = 24.0V
    Equalize Voltage = 31.0V
    Equalize Time = 120 minutes
    Auto Equalize Interval = 28 days
    Equalize Timeout = 180 minutes
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    These are the settings that Concorde Battery Customer Service recommends:
    Absorption Extension Voltage = 28.6V

Having the extension voltage set the same as the absorb voltage doesn't make sense. Either increase absorb to 2h30m or set a lower extension voltage.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Float cancellation voltage of 24.0 volts seems awfully low--Battery would need significant loads for a good length of time to drop the charger out of float... Why not 25.4 volts or so (assuming 12.7 volts is a fully charged 12 volt battery resting voltage)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Coach Dad

I'm sooooo confused.
    :confused:
    Stephendv- I agree with your comments and have already asked Concorde
    Bill- I originally had it at 24.4V and Concorde lowered it to 24.0V

Too bad MorningStar isn't answering my email...
  • SolaRevolution
    BB. wrote: »
    Float cancellation voltage of 24.0 volts seems awfully low--Battery would need significant loads for a good length of time to drop the charger out of float... Why not 25.4 volts or so (assuming 12.7 volts is a fully charged 12 volt battery resting voltage)?
    -Bill

I'm wondering about this too.
    MSview has some definitions which are different from other charger protocols. As an example, "Float Timeout" is basically what some other systems call "Rebulk Voltage". There are several different ways to program the tristar to increase the absorption charging time.

It seems to me the settings Concord has recommended will usually disable the "regular" (2hr) absorb time setting and depend on "Float Cancelation Voltage" to trigger a longer absorption cycle. If the voltage does not fall to the "Float Cancelation Voltage" then the "Float Timeout" will cause another short absorption cycle. This could be okay for batteries which don't cycle much but it does not seem ideal for batteries which are under moderate daily use.

Here are a couple of nits I would pick about how MSview works which may affect Concord's recommendations. I've underlined my points of concern:

From MSview:
    "The Float Timeout counts cumulative time that the battery voltage is below the Float setpoint. When the timer expires, the TriStar MPPT will return to MPPT (Bulk) charging."

"Float Cancel Voltage" is different. It is intended to initiate a longer than normal absorption cycle when the batteries get to a lower SOC.

From MSview:
    "If the battery voltage drops below this threshold, the Float stage is canceled for the next charging cycle. This allows the battery to remain in Absorption charging longer and to recover from the deep discharge it has experienced."

From MSview:
    Absorption Extension Voltage:
    The threshold at which the absorption time is extended to the Absorption Extension Time. If the battery voltage drops below this threshold, the Absorption Extension Time value is used in place of the standard Absorption Time value previously specified.

From MSview:
    Absorption Extension Time:
    The absorption time used when the battery has dropped to below the Absorption Extension Voltage in the previous cycle.

The way I read this, with the "Absorption Extension Voltage" set at 28.6 and the "Absorption Extension Time" set at 30min, the system will only hold the voltage at absorb for 30 minutes every day unless the voltage falls below the "Float Cancelation Voltage" (24.0v). Perhaps this is okay?:confused:

Alex Aragon
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Dropping the float trigger voltage to 24 volts will certainly force the battery to cycle... I would just monitor your bank and see if it is getting properly recharged or not.

I am no battery expert--but letting a battery discharge that far seems to be a bit on the excessive side as a charge controller set point.

If you are significantly cycling the battery every day--it probably does not mater as much.

Regarding contacting any Mfg... Most do much better with at least one phone call first. Email seems to be of lower priority for first contacts.

-Bill

Sounds like SolaRevolution has a better answer than mine for that setting. A lower voltage makes more sense if this is the way that function is defined.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Coach Dad

Here is an update for those who might be looking for this information in the future.
    1) I double checked the Absorbtion Extension Voltage and Float Cancel Voltage with Concorde. Told me to make the AEV 24.4 and leave the FCC at 24.0

2) I emailed all the updated settings to Morning Star and I just got reply a few minutes ago stating that all the settings look good. So I'm going to use these settings

Float Voltage = 26.6V

Float Timeout = 30 min

Float Cancel Voltage = 24.0V

Equalize Voltage = 31.0V

Equalize Time = 120 minutes

Auto Equalize Interval = 28 days

Equalize Timeout = 180 minutes

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i would not eq those batteries unless you suspect a problem with older or abused batteries. maybe give an extended absorb charge once a month or so at the most for newer or well taken care of batteries. i don't eq or extend my absorb charge on my concordes. agm batteries will vent some gas at eq voltages and you can't just get that capacity back by adding water as these don't work that way.
  • SolaRevolution
    niel wrote: »
    i would not eq those batteries unless you suspect a problem with older or abused batteries. maybe give an extended absorb charge once a month or so at the most for newer or well taken care of batteries. i don't eq or extend my absorb charge on my concordes. agm batteries will vent some gas at eq voltages and you can't just get that capacity back by adding water as these don't work that way.

niel,

It seems a bit much to me too, but, it is what Concord recommended and it is in line with the instructions in the manual:
    http://www.sunxtender.com/pdfs/Sun_Xtender_Battery_Technical_Manual.pdf

Page 20 in the manual:
    (It's password protected and won't let me copy and paste.:p The underlining is my emphasis.)

5.5 Conditioning
    Conditioning should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss due to extended time in a partial or low state of charge condition. This could be caused, for example, by low output of a solar powered charger due to a week of cloudy skies....
    ...an Equalizing Charge may be used to provide a Conditioning Charge for Sun Xtender batteries as described below...
    ...charging for 8 hours using the voltage given in the following equation...
    ...At 25 deg C, the conditioning voltage is 2.58 VPC (15.5 volts for a 12 volt battery)...

The recommendations Concord's tec support gave are a compromise from the manual.
    The EQ settings Coach Dad posted are for every 28 days instead of whatever "showing symptoms" means, and for 180 minutes instead of 8 hrs.

So it's just a question of whether or not to trust tec support to make recommendations for their product. If I were to second guess it would only be to wait a couple of months before starting the EQs.

Coach Dad did his homework. I think he's ready.

Alex
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the manual is referring to it as a resort due to abuse it has undertaken and does not reference to it as normal monthly maintenance. eqing is an fla thing moreso than an agm thing.

i can see the batteries taking some of the gassing abuse from a monthly eq for a year which happens to be the warranty period. if he wants them to last more than the warranty then he should not eq them.
  • SolaRevolution
    niel wrote: »
    i can see the batteries taking some of the gassing abuse from a monthly eq for a year which happens to be the warranty period.

Good point. Do I hear wisdom gained a some expense?;)
  • Coach Dad

Alex and Neil
    Thank you for your help.
    I will follow your advice and turn off the Equalize settings.

This system is running at my cabin which I visit on weekends. So the batteries are sitting idle Monday through Friday.

This brings up another question for you guys...
    What actually happens Monday through Friday when the sun comes up?
    Does the Charge controller go through the full charge sequence even when the batteries are fully charged? Or is there a threshold which triggers the Charge Controller to recharge them?
    If there is a threshold? Which setting is it?
  • SolaRevolution
    This system is running at my cabin which I visit on weekends. So the batteries are sitting idle Monday through Friday...

What actually happens Monday through Friday when the sun comes up?
    Does the Charge controller go through the full charge sequence even when the batteries are fully charged?

As I was saying, there are several different ways to program the tristar to increase the absorption charging time. (with MSview)

If you set the regular "Absorption Time" short, say 30 min, this will be the daily M-F absorb time. This would prevent your full batteries from getting a full bulk cycle every week day.

If you set the "Absorption Extension Voltage" to 24.4V, this will initiate an "Absorption Extension Time" on weekends when you do cycle the batteries. So you should then set the "AET" for 2 hrs or more depending on your expected depth of discharge. The "Float Cancel Voltage" could also be used to lengthen the total absorb time if you set appropriately for a lower DOD.

You may want to call Concord again and ask specifically about your weekend-only system.

I lost track somehow and thought you were setting up a system for live-in sail boat. Occasional manual EQs make more sense in your weekend use system.
    (Hats off to the fiesty guy from Pittsburgh):blush:

Alex
  • Coach Dad
    If you set the regular "Absorption Time" short, say 30 min, this will be the daily M-F absorb time. This would prevent your full batteries from getting a full bulk cycle every week day.

If you set the "Absorption Extension Voltage" to 24.4V, this will initiate an "Absorption Extension Time" on weekends when you do cycle the batteries. So you should then set the "AET" for 2 hrs or more depending on your expected depth of discharge. The "Float Cancel Voltage" could also be used to lengthen the total absorb time if you set appropriately for a lower DOD.

This makes a lot of Sense...:D
  • Coach Dad
    This makes a lot of Sense...:D

I checked with Concorde and Morning Star... I suggested to both setting the Extension voltage to 25.0V and 1hr 30 min..
    Both tech support groups agree that this sounds reasonable.

Thank you SolaRevolution... Any more bright ideas???:D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got some screen shots here, for a 42 cell array. Divide as needed.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.224674484272679.54722.120212794718849&type=3

As to what happens, the MS has a web server in it, mine holds 60 or 90 days of data, and you can review it, and see what's been happening.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I got some screen shots here, for a 42 cell array. Divide as needed.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.224674484272679.54722.120212794718849&type=3

As to what happens, the MS has a web server in it, mine holds 60 or 90 days of data, and you can review it, and see what's been happening.

I was a little disappointed by the web server when I got mine, pretty plain. Wish they would make it have more graphs and settings. Oh well...