solar desulphator

Options
kylew
kylew Registered Users Posts: 15
hello, I have a small solar array with a simple PWM controller going to a few batteries, and I am wanting to add another battery that I picked up, but it doesnt hold a charge. it is a fairly new AGM battery that was left in a discharged state for several months. I am thinking it needs to be de-sulphated. I see on various google searches that there are AC chargers that do de-sulphating, but I am not aware of any solar controllers that do that. When i do searches for desulphating on this forum I do not see any threads dealing with reviving damaged batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to bring this baby back to life? Is an AC charger the thing to use, or are there solar controllers that can do it?

thanks
Kyle

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar desulphator

odds are the battery isn't any good.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: solar desulphator

Here is some information on recovering AGM/Sealed batteries:
    BB. wrote: »
    Here is a thread how one company (Concorde) recommends to "recover" their AGMs... Not supposed to apply to any other brands of AGMs:

Sulfated Lifeline Concorde AGM Batteries

And here is a great thread from DapDan with information on how one place recommends to restore AGM batteries (new catalyst caps, adding water to cell, etc.):

Low rest voltage on GNB absolyte IIP cells

In the end, trying to do "extreme" things to batteries should be done in a safe area and always under some sort of supervision/monitoring (don't want to overheat the cells and blow acid around) and performed while wearing appropriate safety gear/gloves/face shield/water/hose/baking soda nearby/etc.).

And--if the cells are otherwise scrap--if you can try some of the above things (if done safely)--you are not loosing much anyway.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset