Xw-mppt60-150 gfci

Options
NZRR
NZRR Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
The Xantrex XW-MPPT60-150 charge controller comes with internal GFCI protection. Does this mean I don't need a separate GFCI for these units? I am planning a system with two charge controllers and an e-panel from Midnite Solar, and am wondering if I need a second (external) GFCI for each unit. My guess is that the integral GFCI are for internal protection of the controller only. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Xw-mppt60-150 gfci

You are correct. You do not need a second external DC GFI (breakers/fuses/etc.) to meet the NEC requirements.

There are instructions from Xantrex/Schneider on how to properly setup two or more XW charge controllers in parallel with one battery bank. I hate their website--So you may need to search/call them if you need the information (if it has not made it to the user manual yet).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you run two or more XW MPPT 60s, just pull out the GFCI fuse on all but ONE of the controllers If you have them connected with a cat 5 or cat5 E cable they act as one. These are 1 amp little fuses; I put one of my controllers in standby when doing an MC4 cable upgrade early morning VERY cloudy day, left the other controller on line and had just enough current that I blew this fuse ,activated the falt warning ( I'LL NEVER do that again).GFCI works very well but the fuse is behind the wires in the controllers; kind of a bad spot; I had to unwire it to pull and replace it!:grr
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And, NZRR,

I assume that these XW SCC-150s are part of a system with other XW devices. Otherwise many would say that there are much better CCs available now. For example, the Midnite Classic series CCs.

The Classics accept Firmware updates without additional (extra cost) doo-dads. But, as a part of an integrated XW system, perhaps the XW is a good solution. I have been very disappointed in my XW SCC, and have refused to buy the FW Implanter that is required to update the BUGGY SCC FW that came in the SCC, as new. I keep the SCC around here as a constant reminder of how "good" the Schneider Customer support really is ... OOppsss, an Editorial. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    The Classics accept Firmware updates without additional (extra cost) doo-dads.

Its called a "dongel"

Jeesh!
    :p
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Vic - you can also update the firmware with a Gateway, but it costs more than the dongle.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, thanks for the added info on how this device is made. I have never known the exact name of the thing which may well be a Dongle. I believe that Firmware Implanter is OK. It is a little POS that costs about $250 (or so). It is also required for other XW hardware. So for an all X system, it can make slightly more sense. But, belaboring the point, Schneider would NOT update the BUGGY FW, and neigher would the respected reseller.

Am dreading the day that one of the old SW+ Inverters croaks. Bet that the XW IS the most capable replacement, altho there seem to have been a number of disappointed users of XW 6048 and family. (X does sell a lot of these, so the percentage of disappointed users may not be out of line, however).

My systems have older X boxes, so the SURPRISE Implanter was not what I wanted to hear, after the fact. The venerabel Outback required a trip to WA for new Firmware, but at least the Factory would do the job. Round-trip freight would be only about $30.00 to get the MX-60 reprogrammed.

Should not hold grudges, but my SCC is useless. Took me three days to discover that it was buggy, that is the only use I've gotten from it, at $530+ freight, seems a bit steep.

The Classic accepts updates from one's computer, has a removable front panel which can be relocated from the CC and so on ... Think that I've derailed the thread. Thanks for the info, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • NZRR
    NZRR Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    And, NZRR,

I assume that these XW SCC-150s are part of a system with other XW devices. Otherwise many would say that there are much better CCs available now. For example, the Midnite Classic series CCs.

The Classics accept Firmware updates without additional (extra cost) doo-dads. But, as a part of an integrated XW system, perhaps the XW is a good solution. I have been very disappointed in my XW SCC, and have refused to buy the FW Implanter that is required to update the BUGGY SCC FW that came in the SCC, as new. I keep the SCC around here as a constant reminder of how "good" the Schneider Customer support really is ... OOppsss, an Editorial. Vic

The CCs are part of an all-Xantrex system, so I wanted to be consistent. I have used the MS Classic on a couple of jobs, and am very impressed.

I wish someone would come out with a hybrid inverter other than Outback and Schneider. I hear Magnum has one in the works, but have yet to see it.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NZRR wrote: »
    The CCs are part of an all-Xantrex system, so I wanted to be consistent. I have used the MS Classic on a couple of jobs, and am very impressed.

I wish someone would come out with a hybrid inverter other than Outback and Schneider. I hear Magnum has one in the works, but have yet to see it.

Me too! I would like an option instead of the XW for smaller systems. BTW, the xwcc is a great CC for people who just want a reliable simple charger. I must have over 30 of them in systems. They are as efficient as as almost anything but the morningstar and interface directly into the XW system. The XW GFI is a system saver in bad weather as it will shut down the XW inverter with nearby lightning.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The XW GFI is a system saver in bad weather as it will shut down the XW inverter with nearby lightning.

Dave, how does this work ?? Is it in the manual ??

boB
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boB wrote: »
    Dave, how does this work ?? Is it in the manual ??

boB

Current flowing in the ground system blows the fuse. The DSP of the XW processes this and will shut the system down along with about a dozen other faults. To me, living offgrid, it is one of the most valuable features of the XW system. I have told them to advertise this! But, this is Schneider.... Even Xantrex did not care much.

It is in the manual, sort of! I had a customer who was blowing Outback Inv/Chg's every year from lightning. This does not happen anymore. I have observed this 3 times myself. I always tell people to shut down when the big guy is mad and throwing bolts of lightning. This is just added insurance for when folks are not home.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net