Thoughts on Sharp Mono 240 watt panels at $1/watt?

chetwynd
chetwynd Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I have the opportunity to buy Sharp Mono 240 watt panels (SHARP NU-Q240F2 BX MODULE) at $1/watt...they're blemished or have scratches on the frame, or whatever. Shouldn't impact output, and comes with a 90 day warranty.

This would be for a roof-mounted PV system for my own roof, somewhere in the 4000 watt range.

Seems like a great deal...am I missing something?

Thank you!

Comments

• TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Re: Thoughts on Sharp Mono 240 watt panels at $1/watt?

Time you drag 'em up on the mounting racks, a few scratches one way or the other ain't gonna matter a bit.

I'd be more curious about the "90 day" warranty....that it ? No 20-25yr power rating warranty ?

If that's the case, I'd be way more inclined to want lower than a buck/watt.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

That 90 day warranty is kind of scary, considering that most new panels come with 5 year defect and 20-25 year power output warranty.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

I've installed many Sharp "blems" over the years. They have often been available locally for significantly less than modules with full warranties.

I've never had any that flat out did not work. I did get one with two positive cable ends. I just tested them and replaced the end of the negative lead. In some cases their specs varied slightly but not enough to make them "bad". Sometimes you can see a chipped or cracked cell or a spot where the membrane was patched or the frames had some scratches. No one has called to report any going bad in the 10+ years I've used them.

In my area the incentives available for grid-tie projects require 20 year module warranties so these are only used for off-grid systems.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    In my area the incentives available for grid-tie projects require 20 year module warranties so these are only used for off-grid systems.

And to that end, if you are using these in an off-grid system make sure the panel specs will work with your system design. I think these have a Vmp of 30, which means an MPPT controller for any system Voltage and there could be some difficulties with cold Voc on higher Voltage applications (48V).
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if your looking at Net cost, will these qualifyfor the 30% tax credit?

Naws sells some nice Kyrocera for $1.50 a watt after tax credit 1.50 X .70 = $1.05

Sorry thats a Solar world, but they have Kyocera's at $160 a watt about $1.12 a watt with 5/20yr warranty.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also, watch out that they have a paper trail/you trust the seller... There have been (in the past) thefts of large amounts of panels from School roofs and such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • chetwynd
    BB. wrote: »
    Also, watch out that they have a paper trail/you trust the seller... There have been (in the past) thefts of large amounts of panels from School roofs and such.

-Bill

Thank you all for the time you took to type out your thoughts. The warranty rule for the incentives is a great point that I hadn't thought about. Does everyone agree that panel prices are pretty much as low as they're going to get? I can't help but believe that.

Thank you :)
  • chetwynd
    I've installed many Sharp "blems" over the years. They have often been available locally for significantly less than modules with full warranties.

I've never had any that flat out did not work. I did get one with two positive cable ends. I just tested them and replaced the end of the negative lead. In some cases their specs varied slightly but not enough to make them "bad". Sometimes you can see a chipped or cracked cell or a spot where the membrane was patched or the frames had some scratches. No one has called to report any going bad in the 10+ years I've used them.

Thanks for the info, very interesting...and encouraging. :)
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    chetwynd wrote: »
    Thank you all for the time you took to type out your thoughts. The warranty rule for the incentives is a great point that I hadn't thought about. Does everyone agree that panel prices are pretty much as low as they're going to get? I can't help but believe that.

Thank you :)

I do not expect them to go much lower. May see some minor gradual decreases in the price/watt, but a lot of the price drop in the past couple years was due to a huge oversupply of silicon and panels, and a lot of that is now out of the system. Just a guess, but I actually expect them to start going up again in about a year.