warning on possible stolen inverters ?

Options
tampasolar
tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
There has been an ebay'er trying to sell Xantrex/Schneider xw6048 units. I've been told he got 4 of them and they came from some shipping company or unclaimed freight situation. The seller refuses to post a photo of the serial number plate or reveal the serial number for factory verification. If one cannot show title to product they are selling, and it turns out to be stolen or lost, the paypal and ebay rules deny buyer protection.

Beware. :cry:
hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
Gateway / Insight Local
xw4548 backup

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: warning on possible stolen inverters ?

Not entirely sure what the regs are on that particular item, but generally when something becomes unclaimed freight or storage, the title passes to the owner of the freight or storage company.
  • tampasolar
    Options

Without title I am scared to proceed.
    I am posting here the Schneider take on the situation and warranty ...

Your concerns are valid if indeed the unit was reported lost or stolen. I'm definitely not
    implying that is the case here.

Otherwise the warranty of the unit is transferable within the US, as long as there is adequate
    verifiable documentation of the original proof of purchase from a legitimate retailer who was
    supplied by a Schnieder Distibutor. The proof of purchase should include the name and contact
    info of the retailer, the serial number of the unit, and price paid. If the ebay seller can't
    provide these we may not be able to help you out. I'm glad you are checking things out ahead of
    time like any wise consumer should.

Regards,

Mike Mui

The Schneider threshold here to achieve a warranty for what appears from photos to be new-in-box cannot be assured. There is a photo of the date of manufacture label being Feb 2011.
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Are you talking about the ones that [nothing to do with vendor suggested--delete reference to avoid confusion. -Bill B.] has Listed ?? They show 5 of them.
  • tampasolar
    Options

reposted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160729029040

buyer beware - seller will not provide proof of ownership or reveal serial numbers
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup
  • chevenstein
    chevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options

The seller seems afraid to post the serial numbers online, is there any legitimate reason that they would have this concern? i cannot think of any.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

The guy is using his finger to obscure the number.he had something to hide.don't trust him
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    The guy is using his finger to obscure the number.he had something to hide.don't trust him

I'm completely trustworthy, I use tape to hide serial numbers. Fingers are so old fashioned and behind the times. Some folks use photoshop.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

This is probably enough notice for everyone--I have no idea about the person selling the product or their reasons for not publicly posting the Serial Numbers.

-Bill

PS: One of the posters here tried to privately confirm the serial numbers and the seller still declined to provide the numbers.

bb.,
    please excuse my addition here, but it's easier to just add a note to your post than to go through stuff to place my own. niel

to all members,
    i just wanted to say here that should any addition news or updates be necessary concerning these inverters on this thread that you should contact one of the moderators. we could at our option either add the info or open the thread.
    niel
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
This discussion has been closed.