Inverter > ac wire length = overload

sabud
sabud Registered Users Posts: 12
Perhaps I am doing something wrong here but I am trying to understand this situation. From my inverter, I have a plug that direct feeds an electrical outlet in my shed. From that outlet I ran about 100ft of 12-2 wire to feed one outlet in my bedroom. I have run a long 100ft extension cord without problem to run 800 watts of Christmas lights as a test. The issue is, the second I plug in anything to my regular AC inverter fed outlets after that 100ft of 12-2 wire, the inverter trips / overload. Is this because of the length of wire to run the AC power off the inverter? My wiring is all OK as I hooked direct house power to that leg and all outlets tested OK. What do I need to make this work? I have my solar panels 3 feet from my shed and control center in my shed. The distances are all very short but I want to feed an outlet in my bedroom. I ran a separate line and have a 15amp breaker in the house before the bedroom outlet.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter > ac wire length = overload

Many inverters do not like a ground on either output line. But this trips off after you plug something in?

Does it trip when you plug a cord in, or only when you turn on anything ?

What are the chances of a mis-wire in the chain of cables ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The problem is not the wire, it is that the inverter actually is overloading. Some of those wattage ratings on cheaper inverters you need to read the fine print. On at least one that I know of, it calls itself an 800 watt inverter, but if you look close that rating is only for 5 minutes, the real rating is 400 watts.

Easy way to check if it the inverter is to try plugging the lights directly into the inverter.
  • sabud

when, I plug into my outlet in the shed it is no problem. Even, the one outside the shed is no problem and are on the same leg. The way I wired it was to go to home depot and I bought a heavy gauge power tool replacement cord. I then feed my other AC outlets. I used a plugin outlet tester to test each one and all say wiring is correct.
  • sabud

I have a samlex 1500w pure sine wave inverter. Model PST-150S-12A
  • sabud

i did some more troubleshooting. One by one I peeled off outlets and it turned out to be the circuit breaker I had in the house. When I bypassed that, everything worked fine in the house. Now to determine if I wired it right.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "One by one I peeled off outlets and it turned out to be the circuit breaker I had in the house. When I bypassed that, everything worked fine in the house."

Are you attempting to wire in the TSW inverter to power one or more outlets/branch circuits in your home?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

That is sounding a bit scary. Are you saying that you wired the inverter to a live house outlet? And that you "bypassed" a circuit breaker??

How exactly did you wire into those other outlets?
  • sabud

no, the inverter never touched regular house power. When I had problems, I disconnected the inverter and then fed that separate leg with regular power to test it. This leg never touches house circuits. I put a breaker in the house so I had an easy shutoff in the house and did not have to walk to the shed. my shed has both regular power from house. All I did was fed this new leg with regular power for testing. The inverter was not hooked up.
  • sabud

this is a completely separate line. no interaction with house regular power or breakers. to be clear, I ran a single line of 12-2 from my inverter directly into my house to one single outlet in my bedroom. Along the way, I have one outlet on this leg to power my cable modem in the garage and I have one outlet in the shed off the inverter as well. On this same leg I put a small breaker in my garage to have an easy shutoff. No interaction with other house wiring. this is off grid completely.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Good to hear, want you to be safe.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i think i'm with mike on this one and it's a ground issue.