solar cell out put

conntaxman
conntaxman Solar Expert Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭✭
My solar mppt SL-40 seems to be working very well from what I could see.Let explain.I got 8 :65 watt panels.[36 or the 3x6 cells] total 520watts. This morring I went to start a van up and the battery was dead,wouldn't turn over the engine, so i said hay, let me see how long and what amperage my panels will be putting out. Before i hooked it up it had 11.09 volts, and my volt meter from the panels said 31 volts amp was 0 I had nothing connected except the SL-40. I connected the controller to the battery and the voltage went down to 14 and the amps went up to 16. . I hooked it up at 11:53am and checked it at 1:49pm. at 1:49 pm the Volts were up to 28 volts and the amps were down to 5 amps. I don't know, but I think that is pretty good.Never thought the panels would put out that much amperage. When you look at one panel it looks small. ha ha ha . Im very happy with them. Next Im working on my Dc to Ac inverter, I now think that a 470ohmx 200volt cap is bad. I just changed out a Mosfet because it was sooooo hot that I though it was bad. Hate to buy a new one.
John

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: solar cell out put
    conntaxman wrote: »
    ..... I now think that a 470ohmx 200volt cap is bad.

yep, never could get a good 470 ohm 200v cap to last after the factory ones fail 8)

..I just changed out a Mosfet because it was sooooo hot that I though it was bad....
    I'd check first for proper heat sinking - right grease and parallel mounting planes, insulated if needed.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Oh boy--more Innocuous Internet Humor about mixed/wrong units. Nothing bad will happen here. :roll:

And there is the old warning that the metal tabs on FETs, Transistors, and Diodes are usually electrically connected to one leg. If mounting to a metal heat-sink or case--Either verify that they can be electrically paralleled or use insulating washers to prevent a short circuit.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

not sure what is or is not here, but charging a 12v battery to 28v means buy a new battery.
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    not sure what is or is not here, but charging a 12v battery to 28v means buy a new battery.

I think that he's measuring voltage across the panel, upstream of the MPPT charger. But I don't think that it's operating at MPP, given that the voltage of the array dropped to 14 at the start of the charge cycle.

Unless that 14V was measured at the battery, and those other voltages at the array?